Crossfades not behaving like I expect. HELP!!

Hello you all.
Nice to be back again… from old nuendo.com forums :slight_smile:
I am twenty years older now…
Using Nuendo since 1.0.2 version
Upgraded last month to Nuendo 10 from…a long iourney working with 3.5 and 4.3

I am… not sure yet how i should feel like, but, I am praying that this is not a new expected feature in NU10!
So, on the manual it stands:
“You can only create crossfades if the consecutive events or their respective clips overlap.”
I am getting here different behavior! I cut a clip and move it slightly to the right, overlaping with next clip. Consequently getting freespace between the splitted clip remaining clip on the left.
Press “X”
Clip on the overlapped right side do crossfade as axpected but, why on earth, it does create a crossfade on the left side as well, filling the empty spot with the clip standing on the left?

I really hope someone can help me out on this.
Can someone reproduce this same behavior?
Just Added two jpegs to describe better

My very best regards to you all

Win10 64Bit
NU10.2.20

P.S:
Silently wishing to see the old transport window back again
Silently Wishing to be able to see selected channels on mixer with a more obvious color
Silently wishing to see overlaped events on a ugly gray, gray like before…ugly but so much obvious to spot it

If you shift-select the two parts with the overlap and apply the crossfade it will do what you want. If you only have the first event selected, it does seem to extend the head and apply a crossfade there too— not sure if that’s an intentional behavior or not, I don’t immediately see it defined…

It might be creating a cross-fade at the cut point to reduce the risk of an audible click happening where the cut was made.

Maybe, I don’t know.

Thank you for your answer Fenderchris,
yes, so do I. I overlapp clips the way i need crossfades to happen… not the crosfades that automaticaly occur “out of the blue”…

ManChicken,
thank you so much for your time and for your answer. Yes, it does work as you say.
Shift + select the two parts…
What a waiste of time. Really! It’s hard for me to find a reason why crossfades should better behave that way instead of doing it only on overlapped clips.
I do a lot of edit work in classical music with orchestras but the same aplies to all kind of music…
Why should I prefer to have automatic crossfades aplying automatically, deaf and blind, without respecting the AUDIO material, without respecting whats going on?!
Multitrack editing demands it the old way. Like this is really anoying and, if I may say so, useless.
Does Cubase work better this situation or, can I choose in cubase preferencies to have crossfades appliyng only on overlapped clips?
Does anyone know it?
I will give Nuendo away imediately if Cubase does it.
And again, in Manuals stands:
“You can only create crossfades if the consecutive events or their respective clips overlap.”
I wished…
Sorry about all this negative energy here but, this feature is essential for me.
Anyway and again, manChicken, thak you for answer me.

Cubase behaves the same way (just tried in 10 and 9.5)

In any case it seems to depend on how big the gap between the edits are; if the clips are any closer than 100ms it seems to do it, and I don’t have any auto-fades enabled. But again I don’t know if it’s intended behavior or what the explanation is for it. With only one event selected it seems like it wants to add crossfades to both sides, but that doesn’t seem to be documented anywhere, at least that I’ve found.

ManChicken,

yes, you are right. I came to exactly to same conclusions. Smaller gaps get closed, wider gaps not (and why should they?)
Anyway, a lot can happen in 100ms and I am not glad about leaving 100 ms audio signal to be decided by any DAW, because, and like the old prophet said: “I know it better” and that is why customers book soudengineers, isn’t it?!
Imagine trying to deal with several tracks simultaneously, where you have hundreds of small cutted clips, where you sometimes should cut them all in the same spot, put them all a couple of miliseconds ahead but, you have to close the gaps individualy, paying of every possible each musicians breaths attention, noises made by changes of sheet music pages, noises caused by a violin bow, (and not double all this a bit) + reverberation + snap to zero crossing + phase coherence, making all this tracks matching eachother to do all this work together…depending on each microphone + instrument distance.
I am sure not to be the only one concerned about this! This is a main issue here and Nuendo worked immaculated for this matter in the past!!

In the past, I said this to many people (with a nice hidden ironic smile)
Protoos is a fantastic DAW made by amazing professionals but Nuendo is done by sound engineers :wink:
There are things they still can’t do actualy, things I am used to do since day one in Nuendo.

" I don’t have any auto-fades enabled" you wrote.
Maybe, I fail to see that in preferences… to me, looks like there’s no preferences about that, isn’t it? Correct me please!

And again
Thank you for your time ManChicken

You won’t see me here anymore once I get this solved…
(I am asking for very basic things…it is possible to have them, I had in older nuendo versions until now!)
Sometimes I am working with 130…150 tracks. I am sure if not the majority, a very large of people here too.

and silently
Silently wishing to see the old transport window back again
Silently Wishing to be able to see selected channels on mixer with a more obvious color
Silently wishing to see overlaped events on a ugly gray, gray like before…ugly but so much obvious to spot it

Hello you all again…

Can someone tell me what was the last Nuendo Version having crossfades behaving the way I wish?
I am getting crazy here with all this waste of time + increasing the human error factor while editing.

I could really need a solution here

Thanks again