Crossgrade from Finale to Dorico Pro - more Questions

On what date does the discount expire that I would receive as a Finale owner if I crossgrade to Dorico Pro?

Does the discount only apply to Finale 27 or also to Finale 26?

1 Like

It looks like any version of Finale – including PrintMusic.

I don’t think an end date has been announced yet.

Will I be able to resell my new Dorico Pro license or tranfer it to someone else after crossgrading from Finale?

Now that Finale is being discontinued and Finale users are switching to Dorico, will there be an update of Dorico that allows Finale files to open directly in Dorico, without exporting them as .XML files first?

I’m sure not, as they have said in the FAQ

File Compatibility and Import/Export

Can I import my existing Finale files into Dorico? If so, how?

Dorico cannot directly import Finale .mus or .musx files. Dorico can, however, import MusicXML 4.0 files, so to bring a Finale file into Dorico, first export it as MusicXML from Finale, then import that MusicXML file into Dorico.

Steinberg doesn’t sell licenses with limitations based on how they were purchased. See the Resale Wizard on the Steinberg site to read the rules and method.

1 Like

Steve, the FAQ article addresses only the fact that currently Finale files have to be exported as XML files first, but there’s nothing in the FAQ article that addresses my question if there ever will be an update of Dorico in the future that allows to open Finale files directly.

1 Like

Pretty certain that, when or if it happens that Dorico can open Finale files directly, the announcement will be posted everywhere.

Till (if) then, MusicXML 4 exported from Finale imports well into the current version of Dorico.

The reverse is not as good but that will become less of an issue over time (many of us would like that improved, however).

1 Like

How long does this offer to buy Dorico Pro as a Finale user as a special offer last?

I highly recommend doing the for free demo version first. I am by no means a novice with computers or Finale (used if for nearly 30 years), but I have been attempting to figure this thing out all day. I watched the “how to videos” which don’t have a lot of “how to” its more a demonstration of things it does. I’m to the point of deleting the program and requesting a refund. Then I’ll just cross my fingers and pray my Finale works until I retire.

Don’t give up. Dorico is 100% different from Finale, but worth the learning curve! What are you stuck on? Ask questions here and users are happy to help.

There’s also a user on FB who offered free sessions to help Finale folks get started.

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @cox.michael.barnell!

I’m sorry your initial experience — under admittedly challenging circumstances! — has been frustrating. FWIW, I was a Finale user for 32 years before switching to Dorico just two years ago. Like you, I found it to be a big shift.

If you haven’t explored these yet, I definitely recommend doing so. They have helped me really get a handle on the bigger-picture differences between the two:

And as @dan_kreider rightly points out, you will find that you’re incredibly supported here in the forum, not just by fellow users but by members of the Dorico team.

2 Likes

Another great resource!

3 Likes

@CKB @NoglerPa They have not said how long the offer will be available, but contact them directly and ask.
https://www.finalemusic.com you should see Support at the top, then click on Get help.

You don’t actually want that. Finale files contain less formatting information that MusicXML files. Much of how Finale displays music is computed in the program, not stored in the file.

MusicXML on the other hand saves all this information. Dorico discards much of it by default, but you can change that by going to Dorico > Preferences > MusicXML Import and turning on the options to preserve formatting.

6 Likes

Will i be able to use my Finale v27 still after i crossgraded to Dorico 5 or do i lose the licence/activation?

You don’t lose your Finale license; it’s just for verification.

1 Like

Thanks for the info!

For those who speak French, there’s been an absolute gem from one of our fellow users (and certified trainer) Alexis Savelief : https://youtu.be/52lbofpLzkM?si=DCRAUV3idMTRnxzV
He shares what has been most important to know when transitioning from Finale to Dorico. As usual, very well structured.

4 Likes

Is it already possible to download Finale v27 for Finale v26 crossgrader?

makemusic said they want to do this, but is it possible yet?

The last I read, MakeMusic was still figuring out the mechanism to make this possible.