'crotchet equals crotchet'

Sorry if this has come up already and I’ve missed it.

How can I insert a relative tempo marking of the type ‘crotchet = crotchet’ or ‘dotted crochet = crotchet’, (in notation obviously rather than words)

eg: ♪ = ♪, as one might use when there’s a change of meter from 2/4 to 3/8…

thanks in advance for solutions

For the time being, the answer is System Text: Alt+Shift+X. Do you know how you can insert musical glyphs to get the desired result?

Marc suggested creating a playing technique - that’s what he uses. I like that idea!

@Dan, do you happen to have a link to Marc’s post? I have tried a few search phrases, but was unsuccessful. Sounds intriguing :slight_smile:

I think I prefer System Text. Playing Techniques can only be attached to individual notes, which means that if crotchet = crotchet applies to a whole orchestra you’d need to add it to each instrument separately.

Pietzcker: I don’t recall, as it was on FB. But are you familiar with the Playing Technique editor? Very handy. As Leo says, not best for larger ensembles. But works nicely for smaller ones.

No I don’t, and would be very glad to, if some kind soul could explain please. I’ve looked in the ops manual and can’t find anything helpful there. This is incredibly simple in Sibelius.

Dear Dan,
I do not recall using Playing techniques editor for this kind of tempo marking… I use system text (as Pianoleo suggested — don’t bother asking, I always follow Pianoleo’s advice !), I find it more consistent with the other tempo markings. What I suggested earlier on FB was to use the playing techniques editor to input complicated fermatas (in cadenzas), and I’ve used the editor extensively to input figured bass.

Marc: Ok, maybe it was Luis or on FB somewhere. Anyways, I do like the custom PT editor for a lot of these sorts of things. Thankfully I haven’t needed to do a metric modulation yet. Looking forward to the day when it’s invoked with Shift-T, “e=e” or something similarly intuitive!

Check out this thread, which includes a link to the desired symbols: https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=104808

Make sure you note the distinction between Bravura and Bravura text.

Thanks - I shall explore.
But come on Dorico - make it as easy as it was in Sibelius some time soon please!

Of course it’s in our plans to implement this, but it’s not something that I anticipate making it into our next update, I’m afraid.

I rather guessed that’d be the case - but we can wish!
In the meantime, I’ve looked at the other thread, but I’m still not getting anywhere - I’m clearly missing something obvious. Shift-Alt-X. Select Bravura Text and Music Text. Then what? I tried typing q. = q and that’s what I get. How do I get it to show as actual crotchets?

You need to input the appropriate Unicode glyphs. The “individual note” glyphs are found here: http://w3c.github.io/smufl/gitbook/tables/individual-notes.html

The easiest way is to copy the symbol from there and paste it using the Bravura Text font.

I’ve found it best to increase the font size a bit for the note symbols (e. g. to 15 Pt.), and use the Academico “=” sign in superscript mode (12 Pt.) so it aligns nicely with the notes:

If I recall correctly, the glyphs on the ‘Metronome Marks’ page is more suited for this (as in: you don’t need to superscript your ‘=’)

http://w3c.github.io/smufl/gitbook/tables/metronome-marks.html

Finally done it. Thanks to all - very, very much appreciated.