Cubase 10.5 crackling and spitting

Just installed all my programmes on a new desktop pc and getting horrible spitting and crackling noises as soon as I open sessions that previously worked fine on a 9 year old laptop. During playback, the audio glitches and even goes out momentarily of tune! These are audio tracks, not midi.

System spec:

Windows 10
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor 3.90 GHz
WD SN550 1TB SSD
32G ram
MOTU 896mk3 Hybrid USB interface with 8pre via ADAT

System worked fine with an old laptop. CPU meter never goes over halfway and I have buffers set to 2048. Even when the system is just idle (no playback or recording) the unpleasant crackling occurs.

Can anyone assist? Is my choice of AMD the wrong one? I’m beginning to wish I’d stuck with my aging, sluggish, high temperature laptop as it never let me down like this. I’m not exactly a PC expert so any help would be great.

Just to witness : I had that same problem and solved it by de-installing and re-installing my graphic card drivers. I have no explanation for this but it worked.
Not to say it’s the solution for you, but this kind of problem can be caused by many things.

Wow, seems weird but whatever works! Thanks for the advice, will give it a try. Any other suggestions welcome.

Run LatencyMon and see if it gives any clue to what the problem is.