Cubase 10.5 on non-supported Windows 7, testing and findings

How’s everyone doing?

I ditched Win7 because I got a new Ryzen 3950x system. Win7 doesnt have drivers for my x570 motherboard and I rather switch to Win10 now when I’m reinstalling anyways. Win 10 1903 works fine for me. 1909 caused issues with file searching (known bug).
No problem using old 32bit VSTs with jBridge either so I’m happy.

I do miss Win7 look and feel though… But so did I with WinXP before that. :slight_smile:

I have update to win10…

Still no problems.
Once I get a new PC it will be win10 but right now I am just too lazy…

Any particular reason why?

Because I’ve upgrade my PC with SSD hard disk, and after some year i’ts time to formatting and reinstall all…
Cubase 10.5 and future version don’t support Windows 7 , so I’ve updated

After a couple of weeks with Win10 1903 I can say that I dont really like Win10 but most things work fine. I dislike that it is not enough to turn off UAC to be able to write directly to all folders on system drive. Some VSTs demand this (saving patches in Program Files for instance). Also, to turn off Windows Realtime Defender you have to do a list of things in policyeditor or regedit.

Only non-solvable issue I have though are not DAW related.

Cubase has crashed on me without notice one time, happened when working with a new VST instrument I demoed so its probably. I wish Cubase had same sandboxing feature as Bitwig… thats another topic.

I’m using C 9.5 and 10.0 on Win7Pro. No major problems so far. We’ll see. I don’t really want to upgrade the OS this year… :frowning:

John.

That’s because those support Win 7.

I held off on upgrading Cubase for the first time every due to not officially supporting Win 7. I understand the reason but the new features aren’t currently worth the hassle of installing Win 10.

So does 10.5 work fine on Win 7? I don’t need the video support.

My Demo 10.5 does work fully (except video export of course). Still I found no reason to update now, cause not enough new features. Track colouring is nice, but the new delay is to heavy on my ageing cpu.
But in the end I will update, when it is on discount :astonished:

by msy » 08 Jan 2020 16:57
Cubase has crashed on me without notice one time

If you mean Cubase just silently exited without notification, then this is the way Windows 10 (and Server 2019) works by default. Any program which terminates abnormally will write to the Event Log but not notify the user on screen with the usual “XXX.EXE has stopped working” dialog box!

You can get round this by looking at Group Policy/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Error Reporting
and changing “Prevent display of the user interface for critical errors” from “Not configured” to “Disabled”.

One week using Cubase 10.5 on Windows 7 and no problem at all. I did not test the video.

Are you using the latest updates? 10.5.10 was just released.

I’m using Win 7 with latest update, apart from a few Native instrument stuff not showing all is good, even have my powercore effects working perfectly through jbridge, all hail multi dsp virus.

Hate Win 10 with apassion, sick of having updates installing and screwing my settings constantly and the crux is Cubase runs far more efficiently now, saying that my music machine never goes online and is set up with only vital services running as needed.

im not sure, if i didnt see or if is wrote somewhere in forum answer for this:
If i have win 7, and installed last update /Cubase_10.5.10_Update_Installer_win.exe-1.3 GB/…and im not entirely satisfied with news and added value is possible to uninstall to previous version…f.e.10.0.50, or is better before update enter backup whole system…or image hardrive?
thanks

Here’s another Windows 7 thread in the “Issues” section that may also be relevant for those reading here:

It is always good to have an image! But 10.5 installs alongside 10.0 not over so you can have both installed.
On my win7 partition I have everything from 6 to 10.0. On win 10 I have 9 and 10.

10.5 Elements seems to have been working really well for me on W7 in every regard but I can’t get the promised hardware integration features working with my UR824 which is supposed to allow you to use the DSP effects inside Cubase itself. The hardware option never appears in the Rack drop down of the mix console after troubleshooting every single variable so I have to try a W10 upgrade to see if it fixes the issue.

Spoiler: it won’t.

Hi, I can report it has worked after the upgrade to W10. The caveats being that I had to run maintenance on the soft eLicenser and also uninstall and reinstall all the drivers and tools for the UR824 but I do now have the hardware in the rack drop down and it all seems to be working as shown/described in the UR824 manual.