cubase 10 is deleting the first bar of my recorded track

there is some sort of weird ‘shift’ going on. It cant be anything else, I set the count in to 1 bar, I record, it looks fine. I stop recording and I loose the first few midi events.

Your note is before the start of the project… logically there is nowhere for that note to go.
You can set start point of project to be earlier in project setup.

We are trying to help you. But if you don’t read and try to understand what we write…
What don’t you understand in my text “shift your song 1 bar to the right and begin to play at the 2nd bar, but start your recording at first bar” ?

Why are you playing ahead of the beat?

Hippo

I think there are some wires crossed, I’m not playing ahead of the beat, its a 2 bar count in. It seems to have righted itself now, not 100% how, I switched auto quantize off and that stopped it. I had already tried that previously though.

I give up ! I can no longer use this software, just started a brand new project, and now its doing exactly the same as it was before. There is no rhythm or reason to this. I really appreciate your help, but what have I got wrong with the fundamental principle of a count in ? If I set it to 2 bars, then surely when I hit record I get a 2 bar count in then the recording will begin and any midi events are captured as played at bar 1 then continue until i stop recording. Now the first midi event is always being removed.

finally got to the bottom of this, I am using a brand new arturia keylab 61 MK11, I replaced it with my old XioSynth as the controller and its perfect !! timing is spot on, just as I record it. Either the arturia is broken or there is a some random setting controlling this. Ill get on to arturia support

You seem to be not understanding what everyone is suggesting is happening. The first note you are playing is just a tiny, very small bit earlier than where you are starting recording, so it doesn’t get recorded.

If you want to start recording at the beginning of bar 3 that would be at 3.1.1.0. Then if you play your first note at 2.4.4.117 (only 3 ticks early) it will sound for all the world like that note is played on the first beat of bar 3. But the note won’t get recorded because it is really at the very end of bar 2.

Set it up so you start recording a bar earlier than where you intend so you can catch any of those slightly early notes. You could then set your count-in to 1 bar instead of 2, since the extra bar being recorded at the start effectively acts a count-in bar.

@mark_w_w

you are really reluctant to get to the point of your own misunderstanding.

Whatever the problem with the timing may be (personal timing, keyboard latency, broken keyboard, whatever), you have to understand what raino is explaining to you:

• your precount is not recorded
  • Cubase does NOT delete any first bars
  • if your first note(s) come(s) a bit early casually (which they do on your screenshot), and you use no quantize, you just have to add ONE additional measure to contain anything played before your first bar (would be the same with a pick-up bar containg some content shorter than a bar).

There’s nothing wrong with Cubase, and normally not with your keyboard either. You could for example just reduce precount to one and wait one more bar (while Cubase records an empty bar), before you begin to record your play. Then it doesn’t matter, if your first notes are midi notes beginning slightly before your actual song start (song bar 1).

I am fully aware that precount does not get recorded, the whole point of it is to get ready to record, then cubase will record at bar 1. This is NOT the case, the first midi even seems to randomly get captured/deleted, I am also getting weird wave shapes in the MIDI event window (possibly keyboard ‘chatter’ ?). I replaced the arturia with a XioSynth and it works exactly as I would expect each and every time I recorded. I fully appreciate everyone’s help, but your suggestions were nothing to do with the problem, the problem is with the arturia keyboard. Either there is some obscure setting controlling this or its faulty, otherwise how would you explain the flawless action of the XioSynth ?

In that case can you please post an animated gif showing what happens. If we are all misunderstanding what your problem is, then you’ll need to improve your description.

To be honest I’m not sure how I could improve it anymore, I described exactly what was happening. I’ve logged a support incident with Arturia and I’m waiting for them to respond. In the meantime, the XioSynth is working perfectly, my recordings are exactly how I would expect them to be. I do really appreciate all your help and advice though, I guess its just a very odd and unusual problem.

I understand, I’m currently having the exact same problem.