Cubase 10 Mixing In Mono With Headphones

Question … Mixing In Mono With Headphones …

Using Cubase Pro 10.5 with Control Room
Audio Connections > Control Room > Bus Assignments as follows …
Phones L&R assigned to Device Ports A Line 3 - 3, and 4 - 4
Monitor 1 L&R assigned to Device Ports A Line 5 - 5, and 6 - 6

Control Room Pane has 2 Sections …
Main activated with Stereo / Mono option … Mono selected
Phones activated with Stereo (only option) Mix Source = Monitor Mix

Question … Am I hearing Stereo or Mono through my Headphones
Question … What is the purpose of clicking on either Mix Button

Well, one would guess that you should be able to determine yourself if it’s in stereo or mono by listening.

Answer … In the mixer or project window pan a sound from left to right (Or if you are willing to take risks right to left also might work). Do you hear the sound move in your headphones? If you do - congratulations you are hearing in stereo!
Answer … It assigns the mix as source for either.

Svennilenni …
Sorry to be so late getting back to you … thank you for your very useful information … unfortunately, I did not phrase my question very well
What I should have asked is … WHEN I SELECT CONTROL ROOM MONO MAIN, AND I USE HEADPHONES (AS ABOVE), AM I HEARING MONO IN STEREO (SUMMED), OR AM I HEARING FULL STEREO … I THINK BOTH CAN BE PANNED LEFT AND RIGHT.
I WOULD LIKE TO BE SURE I AM LISTENING TO EACH TRACK IN MONO AND THAT I AM MIXING ALL TRACKS IN MONO
PS … I understand that both sound quite similar, worse, in my very advanced age, my hearing is not too great
Thanks Again, Svennilenni

If you have all your signals straight up the middle, without touching your panners, it WILL be completely mono anyway (but mono level x 2)…

Are you checking your mixes in mono… or are you mixing in mono for a mono end product?

If you “mix in mono” for setting levels etc and later just want to hit the button for a “great stereo mix”, you’ll have to use ONE speaker only while setting the mono levels (for panned signals the phantom mono will fool you level wise when using two speakers - also on headphones)…
So for optimal checking in mono you should mix on two speakers and check mono in ONE speaker for more consitent level, especially for panned sources (that’s why I have a single speaker in the middel of my desk)

For making a mono mix as the intended target (everything up the middle without touching the panners) you can mix with two speakers (it is just mono level x 2)… But mixing to one speaker will always be the best way to do final mono-mixes (less room-reflections and phase issues).

If your phones are connected to the “phones” output set up in Cubase, then you are listening in Stereo. Switching the “Main” monitors in control room to mono will not switch the “phones” to mono. The “Main” Monitor will be summed to mono (depending on the settings in the downmix preset)

Just because you listen to the mix in mono doesn´t mean you are mixing them in mono. And if you definitely are mixing in mono (Tracks all Centered, mono FX, etc. it doesn´t matter if you listen mono or stereo in your phones.

No they cannot. Well, a mono track can be panned L or R if routed to a stereo bus but then you are no longer mixing in mono. If you are mixing in complete mono, nothing can be panned and everything is in the center.

You wanna mix in mono? Make sure all tracks are panned Center and you only use mono tracks.

Thank you so much Svennilenni, Carvin Man, and KHS. Now I finally understand these concepts and how better to use Cubase Pro. Very appreciative of your time and expertise dwebs

Hi All,
Is there a ‘mono’ switch anywhere for headphones like there is in the Monitor Header in C.R please? It seems crazy to have to pan everything to the centre just to hear a Mono mix in the headphones when using monitor (speakers ) you simply press the Mono button.
Also, presumably the Mono button in monitor section effectively moves all tracks to the centre rather than panning all left and right?
Thanks in advance.