Cubase 11.0.20 maintenance update

Same here with my acustica plugins - black plugin panels, crash on export etc.
How can I revert back to 11.0.10?

I get consistent lockups, bugs where tracks are played out of time, and crashes. The last version was a bit buggy but not this bad. Another issue is that every time I shut down the program, the shell is still running and I have to go into the task manager and close it down. This is a terrible update. Iā€™ve never complained on the forum for an update before but this one is warranted. Please fix. Iā€™ve used Cubase for over 10 years and Iā€™m thinking about jumping ship. Windows 10 user

1 Like

You created a system backup before upgrading right?

You created a system backup before upgrading right? Best way always.

It is usually only needed to make a copy of cubase installation before ā€œupgradeā€. Steinberg really sucks here. Not only should you have access to installations, they should also be supported to be downgraded within a major version.

1 Like

Whatever the methodology is cool with me. Could Steinberg be better in this area? Sure! But it is nothing a little personal responsibility and forethought doesnā€™t take care of. I know itā€™s hard to believe these daysā€¦ but everything isnā€™t always someone elseā€™s fault nor responsibility.

It is very much a degrade. Itā€™s a nightmare for any IT not to have access to all version that you have bought license for.

2 Likes

A system backup should always be done prior to an update. Once youā€™ve suffered a few fatal issues, which arguably are not always Steinberg related, you stop blaming Steinberg for losses and take direct responsibility yourself for protecting your setup.

1 Like

A lot of people here donā€™t understand this. Take responsibility, you have to be an engineer and engineer a system that works with the softwareā€¦ The relationship has to go both ways, because the reality is thereā€™s simply too many variables for any software developer to completely cover.

1 Like

Steinberg ask for administrator privileges for installation so no excuses. If steinberg needs a backup then steinberg need to take the backup.

1 Like

It would be useful if steinberg provided a clear and concise tutorial within their manual for such a backup. It is unrealistic and unfair to expect consumers to know how to do this.

1 Like

The one thing I donā€™t understand is why should such things be done in a second decimal place patch. Itā€™s not 11.1, neither 11.5, its 11.0.20.

Thereā€™s plenty of low hanging fruit for such updates, like the cropped entries in folder tracks, the one-line names in the mixer, the legacy windows, the panel in channel settings when changing from knobs to sliders and vice versa, keyboard navigation of the mixconsole, many graphical inconsistencies that do not change the core functionality of the program, but if fixed offer an added value.

3 Likes

Yup, weā€™ll said

Steinberg doesnā€™t need to backup anything. A system can go down or on the blink for any number of reasons. An OS update can totally mess it up. The responsibility is ours to protect our system environment. If anyone simply wants to roll the dice then good luck to them. @vncvr put it very eloquently.

Steinberg cannot counter for every single variation in so many different setups. Sure some issues are clearly theirs in the making and others, not.

They take the role a administrator, they effing need to do it right. (And they dont)

1 Like

Having a Download center that offers the ability to download any build/version of the software so that it is easy for someone to install their preferred/known working version at any time (for example on a new machine or to open an old project) is to be expected of any software vendor selling production software.

3 Likes

What has that got to do with taking responsibility for protecting your system by doing a backup? Literally anything can go wrong with an install, daw, plugin, whatever. Why are you insisting on making Steinberg the sole responsible party? I donā€™t get your argument at all. I rely on no one when it comes to stuff like this, why do you?

If they donā€™t ā– ā– ā– ā– -up things they donā€™t need to consider doing backup. But it would be so easy to have all versions available and have the options to have a installation procedure where you keep the old version.

Not sure why this should be about ā€œtaking responsibility for protecting your systemā€?

The ability to install previous versions should simply be available. Itā€™s not about protection, itā€™s about flexibility offered to the end-user.

System restore works for a short timespan.
What if I want to install the previous version two months from now? What if I get a new system and I want (need) to install version .0.10 instead of the latest, because only that one works with a particular plugin vital to the current project? Etc, etc.

2 Likes

The thing about ā€œwhat ifā€™sā€ is that they different for everyone and thatā€™s the point. System configs are super varied. If you want a version of your system where itā€™s stable, a backup is the only way to go ( not a system restore point, but a full system backup) No way am I going to rely on any software vendor to maintain a perfect install or update package as thereā€™s no way they can ā€˜guaranteeā€™ itā€™ll always work. E.g. if an OS update messes something up, which it absolutely can do, we all know thereā€™s little point moaning to them. Ones gotta take responsibility for protecting the stuff thatā€™s important to us as best we can. So if I want to keep a stable version of 1.0, 1.1 or 1.2, then Iā€™ll take individual backups of them all. If I move to a new system, well then Iā€™m starting from scratch. Good you get here Iā€™m coming from.