Cubase 11 Customer Feedback Survey

I can’t agree more, it great that the improvements have been implemented. It was great, it’s now brilliant.

I love Cubase which I started using on my Atari. Recently I switched to Nuendo but it all starts here. Praise doesn’t help you guys so I will give some views on what could be improved.

The Logical Editor is powerful but intimidating. How can it be made easier? One simple idea is to let users upload presets to the Steinberg site with users allowed to vote and comment on them. The top presets could be automatically downloaded and installed (as an option).

Do an overhaul on the Logical Editor GUI with a simple window and an expert mode option at the bottom.

The Logical Editor should be coupled with the keyboard shortcuts/macros. I am always bouncing around to these two windows and I have to make the window active again. This is bad.

huh? useless? what are you talking about? There are fewer professional musicians, and countless wanna-be / hobbyist musicians. Now if you were a company, who wanted to stay in business, will you sell your software to few or many?

Coming recently from Logic, I think every Cubase user should kiss their screen simply because everything stays in time no matter what you do… plugin automation, side-chaining, weird routing, it is all solid. Where the Logic Team despite knowing for the past 5 years that plugin automation is not compensated and is delayed by the total plug-in latency, has done nothing to fix it. It’s completely ridiculous and completely broken. So a big thank you to Cubase for keeping the foundation solid and giving me peace of mind.

1 Like

Hi there, I just bought cubase 11 artist, and was immediately shocked and disappointed that batch export wasnt included. Most will agree this makes no sense at all as the people using artist are the ones most likely to be batch exporting for collaborations and selling beats online. I feel stupid for not checking if it was in the artist version I just assumed the newest peice of music software would have it included.

The good news is, you don’t lose any money if you upgrade. It works out to be the same.

But if you are batch exporting stems to give to a professional mixer, you are a professional and should be using pro version.

If you’re an artist who has a basic song mix and you wish to send your work to a professional, then (if anyone), it is the professional who should be running pro software, surely? The artist needs to be able to easily export their audio. So i can see where @nikademus06 is coming from.

1 Like

Thats exactly what im saying… the pro is the guy im sending my stems to…if i was the pro i would be doing the mixing and everything myself… personally i dont think of exporting stems as a pro move… its one of the most basic parts of making a beat. Even if your a complete noob who has just started making beats, if you want to sell your beat to someone you need to export the stems.

If you are sending your work to other professionals, you are a professional. That is a professional thing to do.

Think of ‘Artist’ version as a self-development tool, writing, and for creating stereo demos.

If you are at the stage of doing good enough work, that it’s A.) Worthy to be sending to a professional and B.) A professional would even want to accept your work - - - then you are a professional and should get pro version.

Thats an odd way to look at it…because as far as i know there is a thing called a “DEMO”… that is for a person looking for beginner self development and creating stereo demos. We all know, you do not need to be anything close to a pro to be sending music to professionals or uploading music to a site where professionals would purchase the music… I can take 3 pre made loops from a kit, stick em together, and if it sounds good someone will buy it… and all you need is money to get professional mixing and mastering.
Why does batch exporting have such a professional vibe to you specifically??
To me it seems so logical, you don’ want all your vst tracks taking up memory and slowing your computer down so you export them all as audio files and import them back in… yes this is what you have to do when you’re not a professional with a top of the line computer… so i have to export all my tracks one at a time?? Why must us artists be punished with this tedious non sense??

Because when you are batch exporting, it’s usually with some level of professional intent - you do this task, because you, intend, to some variable, to obtain more professional results… This is, in itself, a professional attitude and action.

Batch exporting is something you see in film, production houses, sample makers, commercial facilities, etc, etc. That is where it is common, in professional commercial settings.

A software ‘Demo’ has nothing to do with beginner self-development. It has to do with trying the software before you invest finances, time, and resources into it… adapting your entire studio around to it, figuring out if it works on your system, if it’s stable, etc, etc. This could be a beginner or it could be the highest professional.

If you are investing in a professional mixer to mix your work, you are trying to obtain professional results and therefore, batch exporting is a pro feature.

In regards to VST points, you have TrackFreeze AND Render In Place for this purpose. And what you are talking about is proportional to the user. a Professional might be dealing with 1000 tracks - this can bring any system to its knees.

Most people using Cubase, are not batch exporting to a professional mixer. Most people are self-producing, and self-mixing their “art”. Hence, a more affordable ‘Artist’ version for these people.

How does this not make sense?

Thats why this doesnt make sense… u just said it yourself. The artist is self mixing… and ths artist needs to batch export their stems to get a good mix… you can batch export the stems and mix them yourself or you can send the stems to a Pro… the pro receives the stems… im not a pro… but i need to get the stems to the professional… how do i do this??? Do you see the dilemma?? Sending stems is for the artist and the pro but i really feel the artist needs it more.

You don’t need to batch export your stems to yourself to get a good mix. Batch Exporting stems doesn’t magically result in better sound.

If you are taking steps to obtain professional results, if you are collaborating and hiring other professionals - you to are a professional. You are no longer a DIY self-producing artist. You are a professional producer, investing in and hiring other professionals, and thus, you should have the Pro version of Cubase which facilitates professional collaboration protocols. If you are doing this, you are now working commercially. Commercially = professionally. Batch Exporting, is a clearly, commercial feature and task in the sound and film industry.

They have to sell their software and make a profit, and have to draw the line somewhere. This is a commercial professional feature.

You also have the features ‘Render In Place’ which the Elements Version does not.

@nikademus06 & @LoveGames
Can I advance the hypothesis that this has nothing to do with the fact if you are an Artist or a Pro but because the Export Queue it’s a feature very palatable for the marketing campaign so it was Pro only to give more attention to said version?

Perhaphs I misunderstood the way you intend to say this but this is clearly visible when you look at the Cubase 11 features page…

@LoveGames Fair enough. I hear where you’re coming from (although you seem like an undercover steinberg sales rep). Either way I guess arguing won’t change it, and im not saying the pro version doesnt have its place for the producer who needs it. But i just feel like there are a large majority of producers who dont need all the other pro features and would be entirely happy if batch export was in the artist version… I know for my production style it would’ve been the perfect fit… but now i have to pay 500 more dollars for 1 feature. Thats all im saying. Yes i know its bitching and moaning… thats what a forum is for sometimes

Well in any niche commercial software market, one could pay $500 for a very particular thing that allows for some sort of tangible engineered increase in productivity. If you are making profit with your work, and $500 allows you to complete said work some x-faster… It’s probably worth it. It might take a year to crest, but if you plan on doing this for profit for 30 years, it’s still worth it.

Which is why these features are in the pro version. In a commercial setting, completing multiple projects a day where maybe you have a Music composer, a music and dialogue editor, and a mixer all working in rooms next to each other, then something like Batch Export is going to increase productivity and number of projects completed per day.

1 Like

That’s like saying if a DIYer wants to pay a professional plasterer to plaster their walls, then they should themselves should pay and own the tools required to do it.

i.e. Wanting professional results, does not make you a professional… There’s no logic in that thinking whatsoever.

As @powernemo has already pointed out, it’s a marketing ‘feature’ anyway, and only a rough approximation on what is specifically ‘pro’. Truth is batch exporting is barely a necessity when you can do it individually… It’s a time saver that pros benefit from who do it weekly/daily. But that’s not to dismiss a hobbyist also wanting to use the feature a couple of times a year.

Perhaps they should put a limit on how often you use it! :slight_smile: lol

That’s sort of a false equivalency. It’s more similar to a construction company who owns tools and has protocols, and then hires workers and or subcontracts. In this context, someone is building a track, and then hiring a mixer.

Or more like, me renovating my house and having friends/workers come help and having tools to provide for everyone, and paying them on top.

This is sort of misconstruing and over simplifying what I said. Wanting PROfessional results in your head doesn’t make you a PROfessional. Taking PROfessional steps to get PROfessional results, especially when you are including other PROfessionals in your PROduction - - pretty well very nearly if not does make you a “PROfessional”, though I would fully define it as also making PROfit from your work, aka PROfession.

PROfessional = PROfession. Doing something as a profession and source of PROfit.

Art is not always a profession and does not always have income attached.

This particular user is self-PROducing a PROduct, and part of their PROduction PROtocol on this particular PROduct or PROject, is going to hire and include a PROfessional mixer of whom likely a prerequisite of that PROfessional mixer taking on a PROject is that they recieve PROfessional materials - PROfessionally named and organized multi-track exports.

Certainly an aspect of PROject PROduction, is deciding on a roster of people to be involved and when and why and how and how long and to what degree or specific task. Multi-Track Export is designed to be a feature that facilitates multiple professionals being involved on a single project, as well as, render archiving which is typically seen to be a “professional” established work ethic.

Just because it’s a marketing ‘feature’, doesn’t mean there isn’t a logic or thought process behind the separation of features from version tier to the next - there is. They aren’t just arbitrarily picking features out of hat for each version.

I WIN

Offering a rental service might make more sense, where one can rent Cubase 11 for a month (after demo period) for $20 or something

Hi,

I don’t want Cubase to become yet another “sweety-barbie-style” Logic Pro toy for teenagers.

Personaly I think the most important thing to repair/change are the serious Cubase graphic issues and backward compatibility. Not everyone need to change the OSX all the time to the newest (worst) versions, because Apple expect it… Steinberg should definitely avoid taking part in an Apple rat race competition and should concentrate on Pro users.

I plan to leave OSX due to Apple’s arrogance and disregarding professional customers. Let them sell ipads, iphones and other toys, but I don’t need them in my work - they stopped to be a serious company for me.

Keep going Steinberg, BUT think about backward compatibility (for example OSX 10.13 High Sierra) and serious graphic problems. I really don’t need OSX Mojave, I need my Cubase 10.5 Pro working solid on my OSX 10.13 without graphic bugs. I have lot of analog synths and gear configured to work perfectly with my audio and MIDI interfaces under 10.13.

1 Like