Cubase 11 Elements - Recording Error: ASIO driver not running

Hi all, I have four Behringer UMC22 and one Behringer USB mixer which I am trying to record via ASIO4ALL.
I can record signals from each of the devices but as soon as I try more than one I get the “Recording Error: ASIO driver not running” message.
I have checked my ASIO control panel and there are no errors displayed. All devices are mapped and switched on the ASIO panel and I have mapped them using the Connections panel.
Strangely it seems like if I connect the mixer and one UMC22 it sometimes works and I can record separate tracks simultaneously. But not always and it never works if I enable all my tracks for records.
I’d be grateful of any pointers as I’ve run out of ideas.
(Beringer don’t ship the UMC22s with drivers, they say to use ASIO4ALL).
Regards
Ian

I think it is not possible to sync the interfaces for time coherent recordings…
they are not made for this…

Hi, and thanks for replying. I just need to be sure we’re talking about the same thing.
UMC22 just convert a line-in signal (ie from a guitar, keyboard, mic etc) to a USB signal so that the PC can hear it. My PC can hear all these signals quite happily, even if I play stuff though them simultaneously.
Are you saying that Cubase can’t handle more than one audio signal at a time?
I ask because I may still be able to return the UMC22s if that’s the case.

Thanks,

Ian

Your PC can’t hear anything… it has no ears!
The USB carries a digital audio signal not an USB signal.

Cubase Pro can handle up to 256 inputs simultaneously, it depends on the driver of the interface, not on Cubase.
I don’t remember the number of inputs Cubase Elements can handle, but it will be enough for the average user.
With ASIO drivers some interfaces can get stacked to one bigger device…
but again, it depends on the drivers. The Behringer stuff doesn’t support such things…

Cubase can only work with one interface asio driver. So you are restricted to the inputs on that one device. Now asio4all can let you aggregate these but it’s really not the way to go as its not a great driver and is prone to problems especially if trying what you are. Why are you getting more of one interface instead of an interface with natively more inputs?

to say it more clearly
If you have more interfaces of the same type with a capable ASIO driver you can use more than one device… but the driver has to support it…
some interfaces from RME or the Steinberg AXR4 are examples…

Hi st10ss, many thanks for replying!
I’ve figured this out now and wanted to post my resolution in case it helps anyone else with the same issue.
It seems either Cubase or the Behringer UMC22 doesn’t like USB hubs. With the UMCs plugged into a USB hub I get all sorts of issues, like this one.
However with UMCs plugged directly into the PC all the problems go away.
For clarity the UMC22 is a simple DI box for microphone and line-in signals and the hub was un-powered.
Regards
Ian

Hi Mkok - thanks for you reply. It’s just cost, simple as that. Behringer UMC22s are less than £40 each so I can scale up by buying more of them as money becomes available. I was inspired by theatre gigs I’ve done where the sound engineer usually plugs everyone into their own little DI boxes.
Incidentally, I’ve resolved all my issues now (see the solution above).

This is not true… a DI box is not made for microphone signals… a DI box is an impedance matching device and makes a balanced signal from an unbalanced input
The UMC22 is an audio interface with a microphone and a DI input… it has no XLR output as a DI box will have…

But this clarification doesn’t change anything related to your specific issue :wink: