Cubase 11 Graphics Configuration Problem

I’ve located Direct Offline Processing. The attached screenshot shows error( !) alerts next to four different audio processes which I’ve attempted to apply to an audio event. The issue isn’t only with audio reverse, but appears to apply to all audio processes.

Here are some screengrabs which illustrate what’s happening. I’m aware that Armand has indicated that the issue isn’t related to the graphics, however I’m responding to an earlier question from misohoza. In answer to one of the other questions, the driver for the NVIDIA card hadn’t been updated for some time. I have now installed the latest driver. The first three screengrabs show the current Intel and NVIDIA graphics settings. Both graphics cards are showing as working properly in Device Manager.

After attempting to apply audio processing to an audio event in Cubase 10.5, it worked perfectly. The Direct Offline Processing Window indicates that applying each process was successful (see screengrab four)

After attempting a number of processes in Cubase 11, the processes don’t work as seen in the DOP for Cubase 11 (see screengrab five)

I submitted a ticket to Steinberg Support three days ago explaining the situation with the new computer. I hope they have kept a record of their previous unsuccessful efforts to resolve the processing issue on my older PC’s. It’ll save time. I’m awaiting a response from them. In the meantime, if any of the information in this post helps someone to offer other suggestions as to a solution, I’d be glad to hear from you.

I am starting to think it might be not related to graphics card too. Where is your project folder saved? Do you have write permissions for that folder? Direct offline processing should create new files in “Edits” subfolder. Can you check if any files are there?

If you still want to try older version of Cubase 11 the download links are in one of my previous posts.

hello. what I have realized is that the direct offline process, after using it, keeps the last used configuration, but DOES NOT APPLY IT. As much as you try, you have to do the process again from 0. I don’t know if that can help

Note:in Cubase 11

1 Like

Hi mishoza and pablin_drummer. Your questions and suggestions are most welcome. They may get me closer to a solution. I will work through them and post the outcomes.Apologies, mirshoza, for my missing those links.

Hi Pablin_drummer, you refer to going back to 0.1. Do you mean that version of Cubase 11, or does it relate to Direct Offline processing?

I have been suffering from this error since v11 came out (or is it that I don’t know how to apply the process) my comment referred to direct offline processing.

Hi Pablin_Drummer, although it’s not good that you’ve been experiencing the same errors, it tells me that I’m not the only Cubase user who has the problem. Are you still unable to resolve it? Please advise the procedure for going back to 0.1 in DOP. Thanks for posting again.

misohoza, I’ve tried to get the info which you requested. I hope that I’ve found the correct location for the project folder. I think it’s: Local Disk (C)>Program Files>Steinberg>Cubase 11. Please see screengrab 1. is that the project folder? You’ll see that I’ve created another folder within it, named ‘Projects’. That’s where I’ve saved the test projects.

With regard to write permissions, I’m unsure, but please see screengrab 2 which refers to permissions for the Cubase 11 folder.

You suggested checking the ‘Edits’ subfolder. I can’t locate it. Should I be looking in the DOP window ?

See screengrab 3) or is the Edits subfolder located elsewhere?
I have located the older versions of Cubase 11, beginning with version 11.0. Should I completely uninstall all current versions of Cubase (9.5, 10.5, and 11) as well as all content before installing 11.0?

I’m just chiming in to concur with Armand that this does not sound like it has anything to to with your graphics card. If you don’t know what you’re doing, I would recommend keeping those settings at default, which I would imagine would be using the Nvidia card. But I’m not an IT expert, so please take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I also want to point out that the screenshot that shows the Nvidia control panel with the heading, “Set PhysX configuration” is just that: it allows you to dedicate one of your graphics chips to PhysX, which is middleware for “physics engines that are used in a large majority of today’s video games” (paraphrased from wikipedia PhysX - Wikipedia). My assumption is that this can’t possibly be related to your issue and I would keep that set to auto. My guess is that you are barking up the wrong tree here. But again, I’m not an expert and would defer to Steinberg support.

Hi BuckleBean, and thanks for the post. It’s become increasingly unlikely that the issue with audio processes is not down to the graphics facility, however I was advised by Steinberg Support when the issue first became apparent (on my older PC’s) that I needed to obtain a PC with both upgraded graphics and a better processor. Having done that, the issue remains. There has to be a reason for it. I’m hoping that by working through questions and suggestions on this forum that I’ll discover what the reason is and resolve the issue. Cheers.

With regard to your uncertainty as to whether or not you know how to apply the audio processing, here’s what I’ve done many times, both successfully (10.5) and unsuccessfully (11). It’s possible that you’ve done exactly the same: First, import an audio event such as a crash cymbal into a track in a project. Highlight that event. Then, go to Audio>Processes. From the drop-down menu, select any of the options. ‘Reverse’ should tell you immediately whether or not it’s working. In DOP under the Audio menu, you’ll either get a tick (successful) or an exclamation mark (unsuccessful). My aim is to get ticks at every attempt.

1 Like

Did you try running Cubase as administrator?

Right click the Cubase shortcut icon and choose Run as administrator.

Hello, misohova has suggested going back to earlier Cubase versions, including 11.0. I’m likely to completely uninstall every other Cubase version which is on the PC and start over with Cubase 11.0. Is that the same thing which you’re suggesting? Sorry to be so uncertain.

Hi, I always run Cubase as Adminstrator. Doesn’t solve the problem. I’m going to clear all traces of Cubase from the computer and then install 11.0. I’ll post the outcome.

Well, something has happened. I removed all traces of Cubase and content as well as Download Assistant and eLicenser Control Center . I then re-installed eLicenser Control Center and Download Assistant. Next, I installed Cubase 11 Pro version 11.0.0 from the link provided by misohova. Imported various audio samples into a project and applied different audio processes to each sample. The processes work perfectly, both with sound and waveforms. (see attached screenshot of the DOP window). I have no idea why it has worked or what it means in relation to the problems with version 11.0.41. I’m wondering if there is a way of saving the preferences in 11.0.0 so that they work with 11.0.41?

You can copy the whole folder if you wish. But installing a minor update shouldn’t do anything with the preferences.

You can try to install the updates and check if it still works. I am on version 11.0.40. I didn’t install the latest .41 update.

That makes sense, thanks. I’ll move up through the updates and see how far I can get without experiencing the problem with audio processing. It looks like installing the latest updates doesn’t necessarily work for all Cubase users.

Looks like success at last. After starting with 11.0.0, (where the audio processing worked), I went through the earlier updates .10, .20, .30 and .40. With each update, the audio processing worked perfectly. I hesitated to move on to 11.4.1, but I had to establish whether or not that update was the source of the problem. After installing it, I found that the audio processing is now applied to audio events in that update also. I’m very pleased. After months of trying to identify and correct the problem without success, it’s solved. As to the how and why, I have no idea. I’m just glad that Cubase is functioning as it should. Big thanks to all members who took the time to post. It became a process of trial and error, elimination and rebuilding. Particular thanks to misohoza, without whom I wouldn’t have been able to locate the earlier updated versions of Cubase 11.

3 Likes

Solution achieved.

1 Like