Cubase 11 midi - Arrow keys do not transpose pitch

Recently switched from Cubase pro 9.5 to 11.

When I am in the midi editor. In the past I have always used the arrow keys to move the midi notes up/down. This is no longer working for me. Instead it is switching the selected track in the upper pane.

This is a staple short-cut for me. How do I fix this?

This sounds like you are using the Lower Zone Key Editor, but have the Project view in focus. Is that it?

I guess that is my problem - I can’t control where the focus is. I’m doing all my edits in the Lower Zone (clicking and adding/editing notes), but when I hit the arrow key, it switches tracks in the project view.

Is there something new I need to do to “declare” the focus to be the Lower Zone (other than clicking within the pane)?

Sounds like there might be some kind of problem with the prefs.

Start in Cubase Safe Start Mode and disable prefs. If that fixes it, restart again in safe mode and delete prefs.

Thanks, I did that and it solved the problem.

Since I made this change, I notice when I open more than 1 cubase file (to copy-paste tracks) and the cubase files were made with the old preferences, I get a crash. The crash data references GrooveAgent.vst3. I can avoid the crash if I instead copy-paste any data into a fresh cubase file, and in a separate session, copy-paste the data into the target file. So I have to use a fresh file as an intermediary in separate sessions to copy-paste between files I created prior to deleting my preferences.

Hm. That’s interesting, and probably should not be happening.

If you can ever find time to deduce a step-by-step repro so a precise test can be made it would be great to find the bug that causes this.