Cubase 11 stability issues

Hi everyone
I have a few minor Problems when running Cubase 11. I’m not shure if the problems have more to do with my PC or Cubase itself so here it goes:

1.) Since installing Cubase 11 on my new PC, it keeps creating new Backup Files for the projects I’m working on. The list is usually pretty big (10+). What bothers me is, that the original Cubase Project becomes unavailable after some time, even though I save regularly and do not change the project name while Mixing.

2.) Sometimes when I start Cubase, it behaves as if I’m running it for the first time. I.e. it asks for the Audiodriver on startup, doesn’t load up the plugins in the Control room and forgets the Audio Interface settings as well as the audio connections.
I’ve only had one crash so far (1 month of use) and after that one, none of this happened.
Why Cubase behaves like this is beyond me.

3.) When multitasking, i.e. switching between Cubase, a browser or music player, Cubase has trouble to release the audio driver. No matter the setting in Cubase itself or Microsoft, it will sometimes work and other times force me to restart whatever I want to use beside Cubase to get any sound.
Now this happens even without changing the the settings.
I’ve checked “release audio driver when in background” and told windows not to give apps priority to the driver. The problem persists however.

I’d be happy about any suggestions or help.
Thank you and have a nice day.
René

Welcome.

Please list your Cubase derivative and your OS and system info in your profile (or at least in your posts)

It’s working like it should, see

For some reason Cubase did not/could not read from the Steinberg User Settings Folder. More info would be needed to understand why.

There is a pref for that. Search for * Release Driver when Application is in Background*

Oh, completely forgot that:
Windows 10 64 bit Version 21H2 OS built 19044.1415
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor 4.40 GHz (Overclocked)
64.0 GB DDR 4 Ram 3200 MHz
Interface: Tascam Model 12 (Driver is up to date)
Cubase 11.0.41

Release Driver when Application is in Background <

Already checked, tested and mentioned so, still makes no difference.

For some reason Cubase did not/could not read from the Steinberg User Settings Folder. More info would be needed to understand why. <

Where do I get this info so I can provide it? What kind of info is necessary?

The release driver option is to allow other programs using ASIO drivers to use the ASIO audio system. Windows MME audio is unaffected. Also as far as ASIO goes, no Windows Sound Control Panel settings have any effect. So the question is, “is this problem with Cubase or Windows?”

As far as Cubase reinitializing,

I think I don’t understand. It sounds like you are saying there has been no problem since Cubase crashed that one time?

Windows has additional settings for giving apps exclusive control over audio. I need to know if this matters in any way.

I think I don’t understand. It sounds like you are saying there has been no problem since Cubase crashed that one time?

This happened before the crash and after. Point is, I did not have regular crashes that could indicate a problem with the installation or so.

I see.

As far as I know, it’s only necessary to activate release audio driver when in background to permit other programs that need it to access the asio device.

Windows programs can use the same device simultaneously without the asio driver thanks to Windows MME

So the problem is not specifically that Cubase is not giving up the driver, since it doesn’t have to. One should troubleshoot elsewhere to find the problem.

I know all that and applied it. Switching from Cubase to other Apps still does not release the audio driver. I’ve looked for other posts with the same problem, some users still waiting on a solution.
This only happens when Cubase runs.

So the problem is not specifically that Cubase is not giving up the driver, since it doesn’t have to. One should troubleshoot elsewhere to find the problem.

That’s plain wrong. My PC uses the Tascam Model 12 as the standard aucio device since my monitors are connected to the Tascam Model 12.
And Cubase uses the same driver as Windows for sound.
They both use the same driver period. So Cubase needs to release it if I am to use other apps that require sound.

Not sure you read all, but good luck.