Cubase 11

Hey, thanks for being civilized! I appreciate your input.

Okay, so here’s where I’m coming from. I want the nice-to-haves. They are more than nice-to-haves for me. The utilitarian principle does not settle everything in life for me (rather how it can become the tyranny of utilitarian principle, just like mob mentality is to democracy). I make that decision for myself. And people have a right to disagree.

If I were smoking and there was no ashtray in front of me–I would not ash in an empty cup. If I had a brand new crystal ashtray, and not a cup, I would not drink my coffee out of that ashtray, etc. Thanks, but no thanks to that “workaround”, Why do those “silly” Japanese people do tea ceremonies? What a waste of time. Just get an electric kettle, tea bags, and get it over with. Money and time saved. Productivity. More time in the studio for clients!

So, if you try to settle everything in life with a utilitarian argument, then yeah. All’s relatively well. Carry on.

Also, some of these features have been discussed elsewhere–their merits and what users thought of them, or if they had ideas on how to implement them better. This is not that thread. It’s what I think should be in Cubase 11 specifically. Some people have appreciated this thread and think it’s a “nice list,” some have decided to reject the whole list and have made personal attacks on me. I welcome everyone to suggest more things in here–or discuss in a mature and civil way. That’s it. If people respectfully respond or take part in this thread, great. If not, it’ll be gone soon, not to worry.

Not a single person in this thread has rejected your entire list. I pointed out that ‘Audio Connections’ which has been discussed a lot and is unarguably important was missing from the list and that I personally would pick it over everything else. You had a snide reply, so then I explained and expanded on my brief interjection and thus to display why it is so important - both critiqued your list, whilst also pointing out some good suggestions on your list, but ultimately ending on why Audio Connections, imo, meets the criteria to be in top 3 most important. At the very least, top 5.

But I’m positive we can be friends.

Please add:

Ripple Editing !!!

THX

Agreed. Added, thank you.

C11 vst request:
oek soothe2 spectral processor vst style
please…

I like that plugin. But chances are slim we get a stock one from Steinberg—I think.

Soothe is fantastic and I hear you, but I feel that there are so many plugin makers like OEK that specialize in things like this, and that Steinberg shouldn’t be expected to do everything for everyone, since no other DAW has everything for a very good reason.

Word.
I’d rather have a superb DAW and superb 3rd party tools which I have to pay for, than a mediocre DAW with all kind of mediocre plugins already built in. So to be clear, they rather should concentrate on delivering the best DAW possible, and leave special plugin designs to companies who put all time and effort in that.

1 Like

Woh, now, they has one request and you just have to go shooting it down like a clay pigeon. :laughing:

Soothe2 is an amazing plugin that is affordable but far to specific. Your request might make more sense to say:
‘expanding the channel EQ and or Studioe EQ to include dynamic bands and band specific de-harshness/de-toning’

I think the industry is seeing that dynamic EQs are becoming the standard, so that makes sense.

Well that was a somewhat entertaining insight into the psychology behind online communication.

Both dudes were helpful in highlighting various things needed.

i do take mr loves point though of being more focused on the fundamentals. I am very aware of daw competition, and an option to remove gridlines is not going to move the needle in terms of building a loyal and satisfied customer user base, And that is what we should all be striving for, as that means more continued sales, meaning more support, eventually leading to the features that we really want having more chance of being implemented.

Having said that we are all entitled to express a civilised opinion and thread, and it was the ‘i’ll give you that bone’ and similar lines used that kinda clouded an otherwise logical argument. And there endeth the sermon. I’m sure you will both be best pals by the time cubase 11 comes round :wink:

I really wish i knew what the hype surrounding Soothe 2 is - it’s probably just that Im not up to speed with it’s magical prowess, but I downloaded the trial and I barely notice any audible magic happening. Very subtle to the point of ‘is that it’? I’m sure it’s just me not being knowledgeable enough, or maybe my mixes are already amazing to begin with ha :wink:

Actually, what is amazing is how subtle it is for what it can accomplish - you’ve sort of discovered it’s magic without knowing.

To demo it, I would find the harshest recording you’ve done or something - a vocalist with a little of sharp harsh resonances, or a harsh violin or something. Or if you do a lot of extreme hipass filtering where there is only frequency above 1k, you can use it to tame and even out any sharp frequencies.

If you are working primarily with professional sample libraries and VSTi synths, you may not need this tool tbh.

Yeah that makes sense. That’s probably why I’m not noticing much difference.

That would be my favorites from that list :slight_smile: Some of those were already in the feature request polls last year.

• Range selection edit on event gain/envelopes

If you mean by that a complete rework of the clip envelopes (which are completely useless today) in the style of ProTools Clip gain: a thousand times yes!

I’ll add to that:

• complete rework of the cumbersome macro system. Give us a real scripting language!

Yup, that’s exactly what I meant regarding clip gain! And also agree on a rework of macro system.

• Media bay far more reliable (the endless scanning, confusion with alien formats that get installed by 3rd parties into system folders!)

• Ditto on the grooveq presets! (of course) :slight_smile:

Save audio/midi Event to mediabay Directly!

Yup, Media Bay needs some love for sure!

1 Like

Show time signatures, tempo map and markers in the Midi editor (as all the rest of daws do).

Make tempo track, time signature track and marker and ruler into a big one ruler (as all the rest of daws do) or stuck in the top (so you can use split view to other purposes).

Better window management.

A more flexible routing for MIDI (so you can route a midi track to other midi tracks in order to change some parameters globally, like CC1).

Better management of Instrument Racks/Tracks (I don’t like the old input/output you have to do in the racks because you end up with 2x tracks you need and also in Instrument Tracks, if you have a MIDI track pointint to it and you disable that Ins Track, your MIDI track goes crazy). I think they need to work in this, as it’s like half baked.

“Half baked” is what I don’t like about how is going Cubase. They release a new cool and promising feature (like Instrument track, expression maps, etc) but they do not improve it in AGES. And the bugs you found when they released it are the same bugs you find 10 years later.

A good move for the users will be to have all this Half Baked things properly implemented once and for all. They’ve started with the Video Export, so I have faith.

1 Like

+1000 for the EUCON support / implementation.

1 Like