Cubase 12.0.20 performance issues

Hi Matthias, thank you so much for your quick report. I’ve attached the report.

I had associated this issue with the upgrade to Cubase 12, but I only notice it with the piano instrument both using Halion and A Roland plug in that I use. And I just resumed playing piano recently. I have not tried it on v11 and I have upgraded my computer to one with more memory and all SSD. So a few things have changed since this last worked and it may not just be v12. Either way, I’m hoping you can help me and thanks again,

Gian

ps, wasn’t sure what to do with the plugin report; this forum didn’t accept a .txt file so I just renamed it to a .crash file but it’s just a flat file.

Di LoretoPlug-in report.crash (30.4 KB)

In addition to my earlier report (4770k, Win 10, RME HDSP8652)
The more I use 12.0.20 the more frustrated I get. I’m getting daily ‘hangs’ in the same semi-predictable ways I never did with C11.

1. Inserting a plug in an insert or send slot.

2. render in place of any MIDI event.

I’ve gone to reflexively saving right before doing either of those tasks.

When I re-start, it gives you the chance to send a log to SB, but the cause is always ‘freeze’ which doesn’t make sense.

Help.

With the new Melodyne update in Cubase 12.0.2 is no change in my errors

1. applying Melodyne via ARA on a event - new recordings on this audio Track is impossible
  2. if Melodyne is applied on vocal events - its sounds glitchy , shifted not natural
    in cubase 11.0.41 everything is cool

plus

then ever I close a project - cubase is hangin :frowning:

my system
MAC OS Monterey
12.3.1 (21E258)
Mac (Retina 5K, 27 Zoll, 2019)
3,6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
24 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

I have similar issues here. While the 12 release started quite well for me for the last 2 days its been quite bumpy (but i do admit i had much more work in the last 2 days). Im on windows 11. Crashing and freezing:

1. open older session- crash (almost every time)- cubase has stopped working message
  2. Try to create a new project- hard freeze solvable only by ending process in the task manager (half the time)
  3. Mixdown a project and try to quit- hard freeze with a zipper stuck noise solvable only by ending process in the task manager (every time)
  4. Start Cubase- hard freeze on Loading Chord Pads (occasionally)
  5. Start cubase - Hard freeze on Scanning VST3 (occasionally)
  6. Trying to copy inserts in the mixer (native and 3rd party) Hard freeze again (half the time)

ive counted more that 30 crashes in the event viewer
Unfortunately there is no crash dumps created. The only report i see is in the Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: Cubase12.exe, version: 12.0.20.263, time stamp: 0x6262c0c5
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.22000.527, time stamp: 0x931cda92
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000003929c
Faulting process id: 0x15f0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d862cb1477dd04
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 12\Cubase12.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: aa45d5e9-f3b0-4e1e-8a49-f71fca154a35
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Windows 11, both 12.010 and 12.0.20 Tried reinstalling and removing preferences no luck.
These issues happen randomly

Best Regards

1 Like

In case you didn’t know that already, SD3 is VST3 since last week.

It doesn’t help with our issues though (I experience the same behaviour you reported). Chriss from Steinberg is aware of SD3 being a likely culptrit for our issue and is investigating that further.

I’m noticing that if I leave Cubase open for more than a few hours and then return that it consistently goes unresponsive. This will happen overnight, for example, if I put the mac into the Lock Screen and then return to it the next day, then I have to force quit the app and reopen it. I’m on an M1 Macbook Pro macOS Monterey 12.3.1.

2 Likes

I’m having the same issue. The upload tool in the forum doesn’t allow for uploading .txt files. See the attached image with the grayed out file for an example.

2 Likes

I think that is something that is being fixed. It will be in 12.0.30. Check out the posts from the Steinberg developer: @Chriss

Also I think chrome allows to upload files better but I zip them and then upload them for ease.

2 Likes

There is an explicit list of file suffixes that can be uploaded, .txt isn’t one of them.

But I think that simply editing the suffix to .zip is enough to get the forum to accept the file.

2 Likes

That’s good news. I hope the fix will take effect for macOS users also.

1 Like

Thanks, sending .zip works.

Hello Mr. Quellmann, in my case yes its worst, but i got to make it better by de-activating timestamps for MIDI inputs, hope this helps.

I hope so <3

@brianmccalla ,
regarding your frequent hangs with C12: we’ve found a freeze which reminded me of your description:

Here’s the steps for a reproducer. Does this look familiar to you? Like, are you having a comparable setup and workflow (regarding the Editor Window)?:

• start Cubase
  • set Preference: Editors - “Double click opens editor in new window”
  • disable Preference: Editors - “Editor Content Follows event selection”
  • create empty project
  • make sure that the lower zone is visible and the tab “Editor” is selected
  • add a midi track and an empty MIDI Event on that track
  • add an audio track with two different audio events
  • open two separate sample editor windows for the two audio events
  • select the empty midi event
  • switch the lower zone to “Sampler Control” and back to “Editor”
  • → Cubase hangs forever

If this matches your own experience - some good news: this one will be fixed in C12.0.30. Sorry for the trouble you’ve had.
Cheers
Chriss

I’m running Cubase Pro 12 version 12.0.20. Intermittently Cubase is hanging on Quit, and has to be ended in Task Manager. I’m working on what is so far a simple project, with a Groove Agent SE part, a Trilian part, and one audio track. Having saved the project, it doesn’t seem to matter whether I close the project then quit, or quit without closing, the hang can occur; but not every time. When I restart Cubase I’m invited to send logs to Steinberg, which I’ve done. It is not a serious problem compared with some being reported here, but it did not happen with Cubase 11 or earlier versions. My set up is as follows:
Cubase Pro 12 version12.0.20.263
Groove Agent SE5 version 5.10.152 (64 bit)
Trilian version 1.6.2d
Audio interface: Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 3rd generation. Buffer size 512.
Windows PC running Windows 10 Home 21H2 64 bit, with 16 GB RAM
CPU is Intel Core i5-4590 3.30 Ghz

There are so many crashes with v12 that I can’t even point out a single issue. It’s a bag of issues. I’m sending all of them to Steinberg. I had to go back to v11, because otherwise I can’t work properly.m Hopefully next update will solve most of them.

Ok
My issue with C12 seems to be a creeping issue , the longer C12 is left to plat the Asio meter starts creeping up from a third to clip in the mater of 2 seconds and then drops back down to a third for about 10 seconds but it gradually gets worse , same plugins same content ,nothing changes , it’s really bizarre , ive tried everything , even if i delete all the plugins and the problem is still there but obviously at a lower level .
Hope this makes sense .
My DPC check comes back at 90 Us stable so there’s nothing on my system causing a conflict , i thought it might of been WAVEs as they use a Network adaptor but … NOpe .
Good luck sorting this

1 Like

My issue is consistent with other comments using VSTs with the updated version (and previous 12 versions). My ASIO Guard is running consistently higher and as soon as I click “Record Enable” and/or “Monitor” the Peak level starts to max out and audio starts clipping/dropping out.
I’ve increased the buffer size to 512, 768, +, never had to do that in Cubase 11
It’s to the point where I can’t play without extreme latency, making it almost unplayable with a VST.
I’ve tried so many configurations and can’t get something that works consistently.

Setup:
Mac OS Big Sur (Version 11.6.5)
2.2 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Kontakt 6 Player 6.7.1
Audio Interface: Yamaha MODX

3 Likes

yes, same for me, Asio guard average is higher than before, enabling Record or Monitor take performance levels to 100% with just a few tracks…i.e. Arturia Pigments itself kills Cubase 12 running on my Ryzen 7 PC, unbelievable!
I guess people with older PC´s aren´t able to work at all…

I recently installed the 12.0.20 update and after some testing the performance is a bit better and more consistent, but unfortunately another “hickup” is more prominent now.

When selecting different channels, there are performance spices and depending on which channel is selected the general load will differ:

15-05-2022_23-31-29

This is probably not intended - anyone with a similar experience?

1 Like