Cubase 12.0.30 maintenance update available

Yep it just happened again, I literally cleaned out my computer of all 3rd party plugins and cubase as well and spent all day reinstalling everything. and still getting the same crash ,

sometimes randomly when im working and then when i render something

Hi,

Could you attach more of them to know, if all of them are in the same area, please?

Is your eLCC up-to-date, please?

it does not cause a dump (in %UserProfile%\Documents\Steinberg\CrashDumps\ ).
But in the mean time at each start of cubase I get this window:

Hi,

Then it seems it crashes out of Cubase, sorry.

Lets face it, Steinberg and Cubase have not paid enough attention to the absolute basic functions of a DAW and made them stable. New bells and whistles keep being add on while the basic are still unstable. I would much rather have a system that is capable of rock solid recording and editing and have plugins for the other options. That is the approach ProTools took and probably why they are now the standard in most studios around the world.
At this point I am looking into other DAW options. The frustration of working in Cubase has driven me to this point. I worked on ProTools, Nuendo 3 and 4
many years ago. ProTools has improved over time and Cubase/Neundo have not in terms of stability. Granted Cubase does have some cool and useful concepts, but what good are they when the entire system is so unstable?

1 Like

Can you open the eLicense app and make sure that is opening correctly. I know that is not needed for C12 but it is for other items Cubase uses. Mine would not open sometimes due to that.

What about the new license manager ? is that 1.3.1.6xx if not them manually download;oad that and update it.

Failing that it might be a plugin it does not like.

if I open the eLicenser Control Center it ask me everytime to execute maintenance routines.
It does 6 steps including updating the eLicense database etc. I have to redo it when reopening the app.
The Activation Manager Version ist 1.3.1.698
The Licenser control version is 6.12.8.3309

If the problem is caused by a plugin, how can identify it.
I use uad plugins and one oder two plugins by wavelab. I use Toontrack an Native instruments for virtual instruments

1 Like

yes that does seem like the security thing is fine then.

What I have done, and this is not fun…but I create two new folders on my drive and called them ‘Test VST2’ and ‘Test VST3’. You could created them in your documents or somewhere Cubase does not search.

Then I copied all my VST2s from the real Audio/Plug-In/VST2 into ‘Test VST2’ and all my VST3s into ‘Test VST3’. Then I do quick check to make sure I have the same number in both real and test folder. (you could also backup your real VST2 and VST3 folders onto a USB first). Now delete all your plugins in the real VST2 and VST3 folder, in fact make sure you do that backup first just in case.

Then I start Cubase to see if it opens. If it doesn’t or it crashes then it is not a plugin and you can put them all back and wait on the support ticket you raised.

If Cubase does open and seems fine then close it and copy another batch of plugins back into the real plugin folders. No need to remove the last batch, just keep adding 20 at a time unit the real VST folders have all of them in them again… Start with VST2 and move something like 20 at a time back to the real folder and start Cubase again after each 20 and do a test to make sure it’s working fine. Keep putting 20 plugins back and restarting Cubase until it fails. If you have hundreds of plugins go with 40 or 50 at a time.

When it fails take the last batch of plugins back out and put them back in the Test VST folder and then put them back in the real plugin folder one at a time until you find the one that is an issue. Then exclude that plugin. I usually do not stop once I have found one plugin, I go through all of them like that.

It’s boring and might take an hour or two but you will find out if it is a plugin or not.

Got it. And if I delete the path in the VST-Plugin-Manager instead, one by one starting cubase after each one? I can include the deleted path easily again, or can’t I? Once I found the relevant path I can switch to your strategy.
In the VST-Plugin-Manager I count 5 different paths.

by the way, laso my last project list is not up2date when starting cubase. Is this a consequence of the “wrong” closing before?

Not sure what system you are running Cubase on, but here everything is rock solid. Much more so than Pro Tools was (I used it here and there for some time). If it is crashing, it most probably is a plugin causing it. There are a lot of things which can and should be improved workflow wise, that I am absolutely convinced.
But thinking Protools will give you a better experience, is just not true. They too have old bugs and instabilities which never got fixed. They are not industry standard, because its just a good product, but because they were the first back then to provide a good working complete DAW and a lot of engineers invested in their systems back then. They just kept using what they knew. So if you book a studio, the chance is high, they are running protools. Thats why they still use it for teaching.

2 Likes

Yes of it crashes it doesn’t update the hub or recent open list with the last project.

@Benny_at_MITWS I guess it depend on your OS. I wrote that based on the latest Mac OS where all VST2s only go into one folder and VST3 in another.

On Windows its a lot more complicated because there are a few folders to work with.

You can delete the paths and leave one folder and do that first then add the next one.

Remember to screenshot the original folder addresses, unless your memory is better than mine lol, I would forget.

@Tj99 I’ve had this conversation with a number of users on here. I have told them that Pro Tools has long standing bugs too, as does Ableton. All DAW vendors every so often release a build that does not work out perfect and they quickly release a patch (pro tool 2022.5 for instance lol)

But for some very odd reason there are a whole group of Cubase users on here that are convinced Cubase is the only DAW that ever has bugs; or does not get their bugs fixed in the same year they’re found.

I find all DAWs have bugs and all DAW vendors release fixes and those fixes are not the total list of all bugs found either. Cubase is not unique in that sense at all.

6 Likes

Absolutely. The only DAW which might stand out in this regard is Reaper perhaps, but also that one has “issues”. Cubase ticks the most boxes for me, while being stable and fast.

1 Like

I will finalize my current project first and than I will try it. With a screenshot, of course :slight_smile:
Thx for your hints

2 Likes

@Benny_at_MITWS hope it all works out for you :slight_smile: