Cubase 12.0.40 and Windows 11 22H2 compatibility - any issues?

No, running any application as administrator is a really really bad idea and asking for trouble. This opens up your system for all kinds of security problems.

Installing with admin permissions in Windows is required (in most cases), but executing applications clearly not.

1 Like

JuergenP,

Can you say a bit more about this? I would be interested to know more. I install all my software as an administrator, but I have never changed the settings regarding compatibility. I did this following Ales_Zibelnik’s suggestion, but if it can create security issues, then it’s not such a good idea. Please elaborate a little more on the subject.

Hmm, ok… this can grow in a huge story, anyway…

The Administrator account in Windows has basically the highest privileges and permissions and allows access to all internals of Windows. So for example if some bad guys want to take over your system and get all your data they always try to get access to an account that has these admin permissions.

Windows (as well as OSs like MacOS or Linux) has lots of security issues, detected by various security researchers (like the members of Project Zero at Google) and reported as so called CVEs (Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures). Microsoft and all the other vendors are constantly trying to fix these issues and prepare updates.

However, not all of them can be fixed fast enough and some of them, as an example, allow to take over a system just by reading a website, which is called “drive-by-exploit”. The attacker tries to download some malware code to your system, without you even noticing what happens. The downloaded code then tries to find a vulnerability to get admin permissions. What happens next depends on what the attacker wants, encrypting your disk, downloading private data, etc.

If you are working as an admin the attacker don’t even need to search for the permissions, you are just like an open book, you offer them a “all-you-can-eat” menu.

So you should always work with a standard user account, without admin privileges. If you launch an install package for a software you will see this UAC dialog screen (see below) from Windows asking you for admin permissions. This is ok (as long as the software is from a trusted source), because the software needs to add some information to the Windows registry database and copy the files to the correct directories, like “C:\Program Files” or “C:\ProgramData”. These directories are protected and only writeable by using admin permissions. After finishing the installation the admin privileges are gone again and you can launch the application under your standard user account.

Here is a page from Microsoft explaining what UAC is

On my own machines I work that way. I start the installation as ordinary user, accept the UAC Screen and then work as the standard user. All packages, Cubase, Dorico and SpectraLayers work perfectly fine, including a bunch of Instruments and VSTs.

Windows 11 22H2 contains some new concepts of security, which I haven’t read completely so far, but I guess this is causing a lot of previously not existing problems. So for now I simply stay away from it, until it is more robust and better known.

Long story in brief… stay away from admin accounts for normal daily work.

It’s not just security issues, you’re running software under a different user to the rest of your environment. This is why you can’t drag and drop files from your desktop into the Cubase timeline when it runs as admin.

Trouble is, people who initially run the software as admin are also allowing the software to write the initial setup folders and files as an admin account too - and this is why they will later say that running as a standard user doesn’t work.

1 Like

JurgenP, thanks a lot! I had never realized the important nuance that there is between the two accounts. Microsoft is not very informative when installing the operating system about this and it gives me the impression that the majority of users install it with an Administrator account. Moreover, it is not so easy to change the type of the account after the fact.

I really appreciate this information, I had not realized before today the vulnerability that the operating system could face and therefore our personal information, and that only from the choice of the type of user account.

If you have some good reading to suggest to me on this subject, I am a taker. Without wanting to become an expert in the field of security, I would like to be better informed.

We just updated our Cubase machine from Windows 11 21H2 to 22H2 and I can confirm that we had to reinstall the eLicenser software. Other than that, the update was uneventful and Cubase Pro 12.0.40 is performing as before.

Re: Admin rights… as stated above, there should be no need for installation or operation of end-user software with elevated rights on a Windows machine, if it is set up properly.

When you install Windows, the account you create should by default have all the necessary rights to install, execute and uninstall software on that machine.

Typically, the only time Admin rights are required is when you’re executing commands that require elevated priviledges, via Windows Terminal / Command Prompt, for example.

If you need to install or operate software using Admin rights then that’s a workaround, not a solution, and it means that there’s something wrong with your Windows installation.

Absolutely correct, except that most software packages want to insert information into the Windows registry (in protected areas) and that requires the short elevation of permissions for this specific purpose. That is the moment when Windows shows the UAC popup asking for the higher privileges.

Unfortunately I do not have some easy information at hand, but there are many websites around with all kinds of useful information. A quick Google search for example returned this one

But you should try that for yourself to find the kind of information that is understandable for your needs. Most security pages and IT magazines use a language that looks like some kind of Klingon dialect for the standard user.

Yep, agreed, but that is handled entirely by the app installer and Windows UAC. Granting of Admin rights to the entire installation process is not required.

Thank you for the link; I’ll investigate a little more on my side. I feel like I was a little careless about that. However, it’s never too late to get it right.

For most people the upgrade seems to work fine si I don’t want to cause any panic, it is proberbly ok for most. For me it didn’t turn out this way though, after the upgrade to win 11 22H2 my Cubase 12 icon has dissapeared and also in the installation folder where it should be it is gone. And to be fair: I did have an license problem before hand with installed parts but cubase 12.0.4 was still running fine before the upgrade… I did make a backup and can always go back so I’m good anyway. I’ll try to figure out what is going on though and report here if i think it is useful

Again, don’t want to cause panic, proberbly a local issue here

Update: 7-zip and OBS studio are also missing, something strange happend here, I’ll proberbly go back to my backup of the windows 11 install I had before… Also the license manager of cubase is gone so can’t even install cubase 12 form the zip file which was saved on my pc…

upgrade to win 11 22H2

I have done this upgrade and all worked well for a while and then i had what i had from the last big upgrade Unknown devices ,two of them and my TP link ,wi-fi adapter stopped working . Also my Genos Driver for computer linking stop working and could not install it . I must have tried 10 times before going bonkers.
I have a Internet computer for general use and my Music computer which i put a TP-link usb in just for downloads
As you know if you uninstall the unknown devices they come back on restart and in my case it had something to do with USB’s
I went to Device manager and the little “B”‘s were still there .
I then looked at their properties and yes the two were ASMmedia 5&6 and 6&7 drivers.
I unplugged all USB’s and they were still there .
In properties i found another little checkbox which said "If you uninstall it will be permanent.
I went for it and things flashed a bit and the unknown devices were nowhere to be seen and the usb section corrected itself. My Genos workstation driver installed again and the TP-Link was up and running again.
This all started when recording all my song midi to wave and sorting this all out took me from 8pm at night to 3am in the morning.
Just when you think the computer is all that you want ,the gremlins appear out of nowhere.
I put this all down to microsoft and their fantastic updates.
On these updates things like files and drivers can go walkies and mess with your mind!! lol’.
Flowers walk around the garden from place to place disappearing without a trace. It’s the Mole from Microsoft!!! and you can’t catch him!!! XTC–Dukes of the Stratosphere.
Do not worry i am just having a cup of tea.

1 Like

So I’m strolling around and looking for possible solutions to my pretty fresh notebook and Cubase and Win11Pro and settings and issues… and you totally make my day by mentioning glorious ol’ XTC! Yup, let’s give the setup and errorshooting orgies a rest, have a cuppa and listen to “River Of Orchids”.
( ^^)v

I did the mistake to update to W11 and nothing works - plugin management is totally locked!
I hade the chance to convert back - but only for the first 10 days after - so this sucks really!

I am sorry to hear you’re having trouble with Windows 11. I’ve managed to make my Win11 system work just fine. Here are a few tips:

Hi Timo

Yes, a great price for Neutron 4 and it is great for mixing in.
I also use Metric AB which you can match a reference track and ajust your song to the different frequences, so you get everything sounding like the original reference.
I also use Ian Sheppards Dynameter and PerceptionAB to get more visuals.
I play a Yamaha Genos and a home recording player, but it is amazing what you can get out of the Genos. I also use VST’s and combine …
Another great Vst bargain that has just passed was Natives’s Mint guitar which i am just getting my head around.
I use Ozone 10 for mastering or attempting to.
It does take time. In Ozone 10 always make sure true peak is on.
All Christmas fun
Have a good one

All the best
John

1 Like

Yes, the Ian Sheperd stuff is great - his podcast is very much a must-listen if you want to learn about mastering!

I use Ozone 10 as well - it’s a big step up from Ozone 9 when it comes to their algorithmically-driven “assistants” to get you started with a new mastering job. And yes - True Peak on!

Enjoy the upcoming holidays!

I have yet to update to 22H2 but have several machines that I can try it on no doubt. Running 3 machines on Windows 11 and all is fine for the most part. I assume most issues will come from VST from 3rd party or even Jbridger which I still use on an occassion due to some rare VSTi that I use once in a while.

i’m not sure if this post thing is old but can you please tell me the size monitor you are using and if it’s curved or not and what resolution did you decide on using it with Cubase 12 professional and also are you using scaling or the system setting in
Preferences. General. HiDMP setting?

tia

Alan Russell

I’m not sure whether this question was directed at me or not, but I’ll answer it anyway:

I use a 32” curved monitor for my main project window, another 32” (non-curved) monitor for my mixer window, and a 27” (non-curved) monitor for Supervision.

All three monitors are running at their native 3840 x 2160 resolution, and I am using the system-recommended scaling level (150%):

It all looks great, very sharp and readable, nothing is too big or two small (aside from some plugins that aren’t High DPI compatible [yet]).