Cubase 12.0.40 freezing when I close

This issue happened after I updated Windows to KB5016688. After freezing, opening Cubase again, it shows that it had this error from Kernelbase.dll.

Hi,

I would try to reinstall Cubase. Make sure you install it as administrator, please.

@Martin.Jirsak , i did a windows update and this problem started. I uninstalled the update and Cubase no longer froze. I had this problem also with version 12.0.30 after I updated the OS. Even uninstalling and reinstalling the problem persisted. I’ll do it again to see if it fixes it.

Hi,

I would recommend to reinstall Cubase after the Windows update, to make sure, if the Windows update corrupted something, the Cubase reinstalatio could fix it again.

@Martin.Jirsak , I uninstalled and reinstalled Cubase and the problem continues. When I uninstall the Windows update the problem no longer occurs.

Hi,

I mean the KERNELBASE.dll definitely comes from Windows. But I was hoping in a fix.

Just out of curiosity, did you check if KernelBase.dll still exists after the Windows update?

It is a system library that came with some Microsoft software (someone in the Internet mentioned Microsoft Access 2010) and the error message you see might be a bit misleading. It says there is an error when trying to execute KernelBase.dll, which can also show up if this file is not there anymore.

@JuergenP , I checked and there is Kernelbase.dll. What I don’t understand is that when I uninstall the update, everything goes back to normal. It only freezes after I update. The other programs run without problems, it only happens with Cubase 12.

@Martin.Jirsak , didn’t fix it by uninstalling and reinstalling Cubase 12. I tested Cubase 11 and it works perfectly with the new windows update.

Ok, I checked the Windows update KB5016688 and it contains a new KernelBase.dll, but this update seems to be a Preview according to Microsoft

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/august-26-2022-kb5016688-os-builds-19042-1949-19043-1949-and-19044-1949-preview-ec31ebdc-067d-44dd-beb0-eabcc984d843

Beside this there are some prerequisites documented that need to checked for this update, may be that helps.

However, if there is no absolute requirement that you need to install this update I would leave it simply out and wait until another batch of updates comes in.