Cubase 12.0.52 Freezes on startup

Hi,
I’m having this very weird issue for a couple of days now where Cubase freezes on startup.
I tried without 3rd party plugins, still freezes.
If I disable program preferences it works fine, however as soon as I close and reopen it freezes again.
Haven’t tried deleting program preferences yet.
By “it freezes” I mean that it opens but when I try to click on the toolbar it’s stuck, can’t click on anything, I have to force close it.
I was already having this issue with Pro 12.0.51, tried updating but it didn’t help.

1 Like

Yep same here. And I’ve lost time and money this last week because of it.
Driving me crazy.

1 Like

Hi,

Could you change the title, please? From you description I can read Cubase doesn’t freeze on startup, it freezes after clicking in toolbar.

If it had been fixed when you disabled the preferences then delete the preferences. Disable preferences means just for the given run. So of you started Cubase again, you use your original (corrupted) preferences, therefore it freezes again.

Hi,

Deleted the preferences. It works but as soon as I change a couple of VERY MINOR things (literally, Cubase Power Scheme, Audio Interface and I added a Presonus Faderport) it freezes again.
Basically the only way to use it at the moment is to delete my preferences every single time.

Have you tried without just the fadeport ?

Yup, plus I’ve been using my faderport since 2017 (Cubase 10 I think) with no issues ever

The reason i asked was to see if it was a conflict with Steinbergs new Remote app not allowing the fadeport to load properly and freezing , nothing else

1 Like

Hi,

Sorry, these are not minor things. Quite important. Could you try one by one? Could you try to change the Audio Interface only, does it freeze? Then Change the Power Scheme. Does it freeze? Then add the Faderport. Does it freeze?

Generate a DMP file and share it via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Use Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, please.

1. Please download ProcDump64 from Microsoft (~650kB) and extract the archive to a local folder on your harddisk.

2. Run Command Prompt (cmd) as administrator (right click and select “run as administrator”)

3. Navigate (in the Command Prompt) to the folder with the extracted procdump file.
    For example:
    cd C:\ Users \ \ Downloads \ Procdump
    Note: the dmp file will be written into that folder.

4. Launch Cubase/Nuendo. You can work as usual. At any time, change to the command prompt and start procdump, to monitor Cubase/Nuendo for unexpected behavior (see next step).

5. Launch procdump64 via Command Prompt:
    Cubase 12:
    procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase12

Nuendo 12:
procdump64 -e -h -t Nuendo12

The -h option will write a dmp file in case of an application hang. This might kick in too early sometimes, in case some action takes a little longer. Feel free to skip the “-h” option, if you are only up for fetching crashes.
The option -e will catch exeptions and the option -t terminations of the application.

1. Prodump is now monitoring the Cubase/Nuendo process and will write a crash log, in case Cubase/Nuendo crashes or hangs. Perform the action that causes Cubase/Nuendo to crash and send us the generated crash dmp.

ZIP and share the DMP file via Dropbox or similar service, please.

1 Like

I would love to to do that. Unfortunately today the problem got even worse.
After deleting personal preferences things looked like they were back to normal.
Today it froze again. Since I had deleted my personal preferences I didn’t even bother trying to disable them and deleted again.
Now it freezes when Cubase is loading, on the Audio Driver Setup window (see screenshot here Dropbox - Untitled.png - Simplify your life).
Basically at this point I don’t know how I’m going to do my job for the next few days.

This is the last DMP that I was able to generate Dropbox - Cubase 12.0.52.393 64bit 2022.12.6 16.52.02.129-freezedump.dmp - Simplify your life

Same version and same issue.
have to start it, kill it with task manager, then restart it everytime.
i have an Audient ID14.
never happened on the older versions.

1 Like

I contacted US support and this is their answer, lemme know if it works for you

"Please try manually clearing preferences, it is more complete than using the safe mode dialog:
Here are the Windows instructions, under “initialising preferences”:

Please also navigate to the Windows Sound Control Panel and right click the option related to the UR-RT2. Select properties>advanced, and uncheck the options under the exclusive mode settings "

Actually I can’t work on it. Version 12.0.52 always crashes. I have to open it at least 10 times to get it to work. It seems impossible to work in these conditions. It destroys all my creative concentration. Please, Steinberg, do something, otherwise I can’t go on.

If Cubase crashes on startup the reason usually is one of the following. I name the most often reason first:

• 3rd party plugin
  • corrupted preferences
  • faulty installation of Cubase

Hope this gives you an idea for troubleshooting.

After closing Cubase Element 12 it will hang when you start up for a new session i cubase. I use a win11 on a new i7 quad core probook with 16Gb memory.
When I tried to remove temporary files it seem to solve the problem.
I simply emty %temp% in path finder after i exit cubase.
/Ivan