Cubase 12 Computer Spec

Looking to upgrade from Pro 11 to Pro 12 however I have noticed a couple of spec requirements on the website :

• requires 4 core processor
  • requires 4gb GPU memory for 4k monitor

As I currently run a 2015 iMac 27" 5k display system + additional Apple 27" monitor - the GPU memory is only 2gb, and can’t be upgraded. Is this going to cause an issue?

As a back up I also have a 2012 MacBook Pro, however this only has a 2 core Intel chip and 2gb GPU system memory.

Do I need to upgrade my complete system, or will it work on what I have (not so concerned about the MacBook Pro as this is used as back up). Looking at getting an M1 based system, however a lot of the plug-ins and other software I use aren’t compatible currently.

Thanks

David

4GB on the GPU might be what they tested with, but there is no reason for it. Cubase is not using 3D shading, texture maps, and other fancy 3D features needed for gaming, so your 2GB should do just fine.
When I upgraded to CB12, my CB11 install remained on the drive and I can still use it. This makes it a low risk upgrade. I run CB12 on a 2-core laptop without issues (small projects).
Finally, I agree it’s a good idea to wait a bit before moving to the M1 architecture, if you can wait. People report good results using M1, but still some “growing pains” you can avoid by waiting a year or so.

Hi Y-D thanks for your response. May be worth loading in addition (instead of) to CB11 to see if any issues come to light.

Thanks