Cubase 12 freezes, *.dmp files attached

Hi!

Cubase 12 freezes on changing outputs in Studio → Audio Connections → Outputs tab.

Reproducing steps:

1. Open Cubase 12
  2. Choose to create empty project and add single VST-instrument, for instance Pianoteq 7
  3. Go to Studio → Audio Connections → Outputs tab and select “Not connected” on any of the outputs.
  4. The program freezes.

However, when you uncheck ‘Activate Multi Processing’ in Studio Setup → Audio System → Advanced Options, then it’s it is possible to select outputs without freezing Cubase.

Hardware setup:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370P D3,
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700,
RAM: 32 GB,
Audio inteface: bug can be reproduces both on Steinberg UR22 mkII and UR44C
Video interface: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.2486 with the latest chipset, audio and video drivers installed, including the latest Yamaha Audio driver of 2023 year

I suspect this bug can cause some other bugs that are hard to reproduce, because they happen rarely and randomly on heavy-loaded projects with 100+ tracks.

Hi,

Could you try to Disable Cubase Preferences, please?

Does Cubase generate a DMP file?

Hi,

Sometimes it generates dump, but in most cases it freezes without any dump. I attached the last one available, and seems it is the only one)) It also creates the ‘Freeze’ dump, but it’s empty - 0 bytes. I also tried to reset program settings by selecting ‘Disable’ or ‘Delete’ - the bug is still there))

I can always reproduce this bug following the steps in the post.

Cubase 12.0.52.393 64bit 2023.2.1 15.31.08.233.dmp (434.3 KB)

I followed your steps. I cannot reproduce the freeze. I use Win10 and Cubase Pro 12.0.40.
I would try to disable preferences.

Just tested it with Behringer UMC404HD - the same bug when changing audio outputs on Studio → Audio Connections → Outputs tab, though now it’s a bit different - after 5 sec of freezing it shows ‘Audio Hardware Removed’ dialog suggesting to choose audio driver (see screenshot attached). Though, it’s still frozen, and I cannot select the driver. May be I need to change some USB-setting in BIOS?

Getting more and more bugs! Cubase makes me so sad! Now I cannot run it properly, even after resetting to factory settings, because Steinberg Hub freezes trying to load web-content. Internet works fine, cause I can navigate to Steinberg official web site in my browser. Task Manager shows a lot of Microsoft Edge sub-processes along with the main process, and not-responding Cubase process. Cannot attach screen-video, looks like it’s not allowed to attach video.

The dump file on the last issue (frozen Steinberg Hub) is extremely informative! XDD

Here is the dump itself. Have to share it in a separated post, cause this forum allows only 1 attachment per a post. Keep testing audio issues))
Cubase 12.0.52.393 64bit 2023.2.5 14.08.23.024-freezedump.dmp (730.4 KB)

The two crash logs show different things –

shows

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: INVALID_POINTER_WRITE_c0000005_WebView2Loader.dll!Unknown

If I saw this on my system, I would delete the EBWebView folder from the Steinberg User Settings Folder. Use the Windows Run dialog (Win+R) to open %AppData%\Steinberg\ and delete the folder. It will be created anew next time you open the hub.

shows

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: BREAKPOINT_80000003_wdmaud.drv!CDSLink::CleanUp
wdmaud!CMicrosoftGSWavetableSynth::Shutdown+0x53

For this I would disable the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth in the Device Manager

1 Like

Because

Pease have a look at the Forum Guide (New here? Read this.)

1 Like
  1. Deleting EBWebView helped only on the 3d attempt)) Hope, guys from Steinberg will take this bug in work.

2. And now the happy news! I found the reason of the main bug - it was Pianoteq. I tested Cubase with Kontakt Player alone, and no bugs happened. And then I added Pianoteq - Cubase froze again. Writing to Pianoteq support now. Anyway, thanks everone for your participation and help!

I would take a wait and see attitude on both of these – hopefully neither will reappear.

1 Like