Cubase 12 - Mac Crashes when opening Projects with multiple VST Track Instruments loaded

I have a template with hundreds of tracks, 11 VST Rack Ins running VEP for remote connection as well as Kontakt, RMX, Omnisphere, Trillian, and Superior Drummer 3.

I keep 8 Empty VST RACK Instruments in the template, and notice that whenever I instantiate plugins in the RACK Instrument slots, I can rarely reopen those projects.

Cubase Application launches flawlessly, but trying to open projects that use VST TRACK Instruments results in a crash during the loading of the mixer.

I see it crash right after it loads the VST Audio channels that gets it’s signal from an external Mac running Vienna Ensemble Pro.

Again, sessions open fine in this template as long as I’m not using VST TRACK Instruments. VST RACKS are fine.

2019 Mac Pro - MAC OSX Catalina 10.15.7
3.2 Ghz 16-Core Intel Xeon W
192 GB 2933 Mhz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB
Apple and Cubase Crash Logs 2023-01-12.zip (216.6 KB)

Hi,

I’m sorry, macOS 10.15 is not officially compatible with Cubase 12.

OMG thanks!

What’s the consensus with Upgrading to Big Sur or Monterey and using Current System installations as opposed to starting from scratch and spending weeks to reinstall everything?

Much appreciated

Hi,

You can just update the system and you are ready to go.

Hi Martin, thanks so much. I know that the safest way is to wipe the hard drive, install Big Sur for Example, then reinstall everything from scratch, but is it really safe to Go from Catalina to a more recent Mac Os x?

I would be breaking the cardinal rule of upgrading in the middle of a project, but now that I know I’m using CB 12 with an unsupported, operating system-I’m in between a rock and a hard place. I am on a series that runs through the end of the year, with another one starting mid year. Yikes!

Follow up question in the event that it’s actually safe to go from Catalina to a supported OS, is the community having better luck with Big Sur or Monterey?

Many thanks!

Hi,

I did update from 10.13 to 11 in the past. I didn’t have any issue.

You can also buy a new drive and install the new system to the external drive.

Ok, thanks Martin. Many thanks :slight_smile: