Cubase 12 MIDI Remote integration - Akai MPK261

To help you out, we need a short video of your workflow. And we also need to see in which state your hardware is and which MIDI messages are being sent from the hardware to Cubase. On Windows please use MIDI-OX, on Mac “MIDI Monitor”. Then turn all knobs, faders etc on your hardware and send us the list of messages, so we can see if the hardware sends same messages from different controls.

1 Like

Hi

Sorry for the late reply, I’ve just uninstalled Cubase 12 & reinstalled it with antivirus disabled, it didn’t make any difference.

I’ve captured some video, though the max file size allowed on here is only 4mb & the video is well over that.

Do you have an e-mail address I could send it to?

Many Thanks
Steve

Please use a cloud storage like dropbox for this

video

What happens is, I push a button on my midi controller then the blue box jumps to the previous button, as you will see I map a control, it works once, then the control no longer works.

I can’t understand why you guys created stacks of script for novation controllers & only one script for Akai MPK mini, you guys do know that Akai have other controllers right? that a lot of people have in various sizes.

Hopefully you good people at Steinberg are on the case :crossed_fingers:

Thank your for your help, hopefully we will get there in the end as I have a controller that only modulation, pitch bend & keys work, no other buttons :cry:

Cheers
Steve

I can feel your frustration. Akai makes some great products, and I’m sure something is coming. Either from Akai, or Steinberg. I know Akai supplies scripts for Bitwig, maybe they will make some for Cubase as well. In the mean time, can you check to see what mode the akai is in? Global, preset, edit, program change?

I think maybe the Akai is sending time code, that’s around page 27 in the manual. You need to set it to NOT send time code. i.e. External. You can have Cubase send time code if you need them synched. I’m thinking that this is the issue.

Less likely, It’s in the manual around page 20. It sounds a lot like the Akai might be set to Note Repeat. I’m just guessing, so that’s not necessarily the case, just something to check off of the list.

Also, maybe as a last resort, have you tried resetting the keyboard? You may have a lot of presets already, but if you don’t, then maybe resetting will help. Of course you will loose all of your presets.

Hi
Thank you for getting back to me.

I’ll try all of your suggestions over the next couple of days & I’ll get back to you with the outcome.

:crossed_fingers: What you suggested will be the answer I’m looking for.

Thank you for your help, it’s very much appreciated.

Kind Regards
Steve

Hi Oqion,

First off I tried resetting the keyboard, still the same.

I had a look at page 27 of the Akai manual, it mentions about the clock, though unfortunately it doesn’t mention how to turn it off, in regards to note repeat & the other 3 buttons in that area, none of them are lit up.

unfortunately I’m still in the same boat.

Thank you for your help.
Steve

Hi

I sent you the video last week & you haven’t got back to me.

Please can you tell me what’s happening & how I can get these problems resolved.

Thank you
Steve

Look on page 24. Follow those directions to put the device in “Global” mode. Then keep following the directions on page 24 to get to the “Clock” setting. Make sure it is set to “External”.

okey dokey, will do, thank you.

I’ll take a look now

Many thanks
Steve

Cool, I’m here .

Hi @triflesterms, please install MIDI-OX in Windows or MIDI Monitor on Mac and make a video of turning the knobs and faders on the hardware one after the other. We need to see what midi messages are coming in. Otherwise it’s impossible for us to understand the issue.

1 Like

Hi Both,

Just to confirm, global is definitely set to external.

Also I tried to add my midi controller to MIDI OX, please see screenshot for details.

Thank you
Steve

Hi @triflesterms, you have to close Cubase before running MIDI-OX.

MIDI OX VIDEO

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me.

I’ll just explain what the MIDI OX video captures.

MODULATION

PITCH BEND

ALL 16 DRUM PADS

KEY PRESS ON KEYBOARD

ALL TRANSPORT

PANS

FADERS

SOLO BUTTONS ON THEN OFF

I hope that this will give you a better idea what’s happening.

Many thanks for your help.

Steve

Hi @triflesterms, thanks for sharing the video. As I’m out of office until Monday, maybe @oqion could have a look?

I took a look. I don’t see anything there out of the ordinary. Nothing which should be causing what you describe.

I did notice that from time to time, while coding, and mucking things up… (Not in normal use!)

That I could get a particular device to remember settings that I didn’t think it should.

let’s try something a little different.

I want you to unplug all the USB devices you have plugged in, then plug the keyboard and mouse back in, and do NOT plug them back in to the same port you had them plugged into before.

Also do NOT plug them in to any external hubs you might be using.

Then to make sure, reboot the machine, and check for updates. (I know, but I want to rule that one out.)

After you have done all of that, start Cubase. Still with only the computer keyboard and mouse plugged in to USB. You may need to select generic low latency driver. And if you have external libraries it shouldn’t be a problem. Also do NOT plug the dongle in.

Open Cubase in safe mode.

• To open the Safe Mode dialog, launch Cubase, and hold down Ctrl/Cmd-Shift-Alt/Opt.
  • click the checkboxes as shown.
  • Open a new Empty Project.

Open the Midi Remote Manager

Then select the scripts tab and disable all of them. Every single one, one at a time by selecting the top button "Disable Controller Script.

It will look like this with the X next to every script

Put that window aside and open Midi Remote Script Console.

Now click the trach icon at the top of that window.

It should look something like this.

Now click on the circular arrows next to the trash icon. Reload Scripts.
Take a screenshot of the results and paste it back here.

Now plug the Akai directly to the computer. click the big “+” sign in the Midi Remote tab.

Where this image says Cubase to Live synch (sorry, I was working on something for someone else, and that’s the only port it sees.) You should see your Akai.

Go back to the Midi Remote script Console and scroll through to see if there is anything listed other than “Loading Script” Especially if there is anything RED. Again, take a screen shot and post it back here.

Go ahead and try to make some assignments in the editor, and post the your experience back here.

The Akai script that is available is not going to work for your device. So leave that disabled.
If you can make assignments and things work, then move on to the next step.

Now plug everything back in, library disks, Audio Interfaces etc.

And reboot the computer (It’s a pain, but I am trying to avoid some edge conditions that are not likely.)

Restart Cubase in normal mode and make sure your Audio Interface is connected etc.

Again open Cubase and create an empty project.

Does the settings you created previously work?

Let us know.

2 Likes

Hi,
When you hit a button when mapping it will only work one time to assign the control and make a new red control next to it.
After you assign it go to the mapping control. Select the control function and hit assign. Make sure it is set to takeover and toggle or whatever (at the bottom of the mapping page).

If you can’t assign a button control that way you will probably need a script
For MMC I think it will still work as long as the keyboard’s button command is assigned MMC.
I made this for my MPK mini. Everything had to be assigned to a CC. My CC control button has to be enabled on the MPK.
I hope this works for you.

1 Like

Hi @triflesterms , I know very little about the technical side of things but I know how frustrating having your issue is. I had a problem which may or may not have been similar to yours, which I managed to fix last night in a completely unexpected (for me) way. I have a launchkey 37, which already has a script available in Cubase 12 but it was working very badly (probably not working at all). I could see all the commands mapped correctly to the appropriate pads and faders but then when I was using them it was not doing what it was saying that it should do. The additional similarity to your case is that when it was first starting and loading the script, I could see on the small screen of the keyboard the correct thing but then it reverted back to the wrong thing almost immediately. After resetting, reinstalling etc. everything (ports, drivers, firmware etc.) nothing changed. What worked for me was to tick the box 'Use Device ‘Direct Music’ under Studio Setup. After that, it works like a charm. Maybe that is a very naive response, in which case I apologize for my ignorance. I just thought, what if? :smile: Cheers!

1 Like

Hi oqion,

Sorry for the late reply.

I tried everything that you suggested please see the following videos>>>

[[Dropbox - MIDI Remote Manager 2022-03-28 16-39-42.mp4 - Simplify your life]
[https://www.dropbox.com/s/0gy86p28l70yrnt/Cubase%20Pro%20Project%20-%20Untitled1%202022-03-28%2016-33-22.mp4?dl=0](Dropbox - Cubase Pro Project - Untitled1 2022-03-28 16-33-22.mp4 - Simplify your life)(Dropbox - Cubase Pro Project - Untitled1 2022-03-28 16-33-22 - Copy.mp4 - Simplify your life)](Dropbox - MIDI Remote Manager 2022-03-28 16-39-42.mp4 - Simplify your life)[https://www.dropbox.com/s/4zam2iau90bm1lx/Cubase%20Pro%20Project%20-%20test-01%202022-03-28%2017-11-52%20-%20Copy.mp4?dl=0[https://www.dropbox.com/s/upj4b8l3abwnd7b/Cubase%20Pro%20Project%20-%20Untitled1%202022-03-28%2016-40-54.mp4?dl=0[https://www.dropbox.com/s/d03oj08w4shhutp/Cubase%20Pro%20Project%20-%20Untitled1%202022-03-28%2016-40-54%20-%20Copy.mp4?dl=0[https://www.dropbox.com/s/tiaxwl4ljcngib8/Cubase%20Pro%20Project%20-%20test-01%202022-03-28%2017-05-01.mp4?dl=0https://www.dropbox.com/s/tiaxwl4ljcngib8/Cubase%20Pro%20Project%20-%20test-01%202022-03-28%2017-05-01.mp4?dl=0](Dropbox - Cubase Pro Project - test-01 2022-03-28 17-05-01.mp4 - Simplify your life)](Dropbox - Cubase Pro Project - Untitled1 2022-03-28 16-40-54 - Copy.mp4 - Simplify your life)](Dropbox - Cubase Pro Project - Untitled1 2022-03-28 16-40-54.mp4 - Simplify your life)](Dropbox - Cubase Pro Project - test-01 2022-03-28 17-11-52 - Copy.mp4 - Simplify your life)

Unfortunately it was no different :cry:

Thank you for your help, it’s very much appreciated .

Steve