Cubase 12 MIDI Remote integration - Akai MPK261

Cubase 12 Pro on windows 10

Hi

The MIDI Remote integration is not working at all, I’ve spent the last two days trying to map my midi controller & got nowhere.

What I’ve tried without success

Using new remote mapping feature, it only works for a second apart from pitch bend & modulation.

Importing Cubase 11 profile
Didn’t affect mapping.

Also I exported the generic remote script file from Cubase 11 into 12, no affect.

Also I entered the same values from generic remote that worked in Cubase 11 into Cubase 12, still nothing worked.

I even tried mapping in Groove agent, only 1 pad from 16 actually worked, the rest didn’t.

Please can anybody help?

Thank you
Steve

1 Like

Hi @triflesterms, the new MIDI Remote system has no connection to the “legacy” Generic Remote system. You would have to setup everything from scratch in the new system or stay using the old Generic Remote.

Hi

Thanks for replying, I suspected that could be the case, though it was worth trying as I wasn’t sure.

What would you recommend?

I’m completely out of options on what to try to get this to work.

Thank you
Steve

Hi

Thanks for the video, unfortunately I’ve already watched it & tried everything Dom was instructing & still nothing works.

Surely there has to be another option I can try?

As I’m already getting to the point where it doesn’t matter what I try my midi controller is totally unusable without mapping that actually works.

Thank you
Steve

In the Studio Setup, go to your Generic Remote instances and unset the midi ports, don’t forget to hit the apply button. Now the “legacy” system shouldn’t get in your way.
Stay in the Studio Setup and have a look at your listed midi ports. Please post a screenshot of that here. Maybe the ports a disabled.
After that, close the Studio Setup and open the lower zone tab “MIDI Remote”. Hit the plus button and fill out the form. Please make a screenshot of that too. Maybe the keyboard has several midi ports and the right ones have to be chosen.

1 Like

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me.

Firstly I disconnected both midi ports, though as you will see on screenshot 1, I couldn’t even apply this as apply was greyed out.

As you will see in screenshot number 2, aside from not getting buttons to actually work I’ve also been having a nightmare even trying to layout my controller out, the main problem is with the blue box that keeps attaching itself to other buttons, assigned or unassigned.

I’ve been messing around with it a bit more, as I mentioned before it only works for one click of a button on the midi controller, then it stops working

I think that there are definitely a few bugs lurking around the new midi remote mapping system.

I hope that the screenshots help you to identify what’s going wrong.

Thank you, your help is much appreciated.

Steve

Hi @triflesterms,
thanks for sharing the screenshots.

regarding:

Are you talking about the Surface Editor? Maybe your MIDI device keeps sending messages without touching the controls?

Yes, in the surface editor.

Please could you explain what’s happening on why the buttons on my controller only works once? This isn’t just down to my settings, as I have read two other instances in the forum of other people having exactly the same issues with the same midi controller?

Also does everything look fine in the screenshots?

Thank you for your help, it’s very much appreciated.

Steve

Surface Editor and Mapping Assistant are two different things. The Surface Editor is the thing you see in the lower zone (on your screenshots) and the Mapping Assistant is the extra window with the mapping list etc.

Please try activating the “bypass” button on the Mapping Assistant’s top left box.

Thanks, I’ll give it a go & see if that does the trick, hopefully it will, though if that fails what else would you recommend?

I’ll come back to you with the outcome.

Thank you for your help.

Steve

Depends on what fails I guess :wink:

Hi

I’ve just tried it no luck, can I ask if your latest suggestion was relating to controlling my midi keyboard or for the surface editor?

The top left box of mapping assistant was relating to my Akai controller, I fail to understand how bypassing this can have the result I’m looking for?

I’m still unable to my map my midi controller or even lay it out in the surface editor for that matter.

I need solutions to both of the above problems please.

Thank you

Steve

If you are done creating your surface and when done mapping functions using the Mapping Assistant. You have to →

1. Close the Surface Editor
  2. Close the Mapping Assistant

If both are open, the regular MIDI Remote processing is suspended (for good reason).

Hi

As I mentioned above I am having problems laying out my keyboard in the surface editor, as described above.

Of course I’ve already tried my controller with both the surface editor & mapping assistant both closed and after mapping a new function it works for one click and that’s it, kaput.

I shouldn’t have to map every time I want to click a button to work just once, I’m pretty sure that wasn’t what Steinberg intended.

Please help

Thank you
Steve

Then I guess, there is a MIDI message firing all the time and the Surface Editor’s “learn” approach gets messed up.
I would have to fix that, maybe disabling the behaviour that leads to selecting existing controls in the Surface Editor could help you, right?

Hi

Sure that sounds great, though I would still need help in getting the mapping to work once everything’s nailed in the surface editor.

Thank You
Steve

Hi

As I mentioned yesterday, I still need help with the two problems that I have.

Can you help please, or if you can’t could pass me onto someone who can?

Many thanks
Steve

Can you make a screen recording, so I can better understand what’s happening?

Hi

Screen recording which problem?

Problem one
I map a control, it works once then stops working

Problem two
In the surface editor I choose a new button (red) before I can map the button it jumps from my new button to a already mapped button (blue)

Many thanks
Steve

2 Likes