Cubase 12 - Moving entire keys/pads to the right

Im using groove agent 5 SE and loaded a drum kit -

It has 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 pattern grid when I click them they play a sound.

problem - my midi keyboard wont play anything before the 3rd pattern group. I need to move the triggers/pads/keys over to the right so I can access more sounds the kit has to offer besides clicked them with mouse. any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you

So yeah just trying to move the keys to the right spot on my piano/midi controller so I can use all the sounds offered, they seem to be cut off and Im not sure how to move them.

Look in the track inspector for the Instrument or MIDI track of which you’d like to ‘transpose’ input from your controller(s).

Open the MIDI Modifiers tab.

If you don’t see such a tab click the settings cog at the bottom and add it.

Transpose by half steps up or down as much as you require.

Another alternative…
Some MIDI controllers have a transpose feature built in. It might even have buttons to quickly transpose up or down by octaves with a single push of a button.

PS
If you’d like to remap individual kit pieces to different trigger keys, you can do that in GA.

See Hardware Controller Mapping in the GA SE Owner’s Manual.

Thanks! that moved it over and I can play more sounds. I also found “tranpose” in my keyboard its self.

One thing though - The sounds on page 2 of “samba trap” (sub bass) are only clickable no matter where I move the midi modifier. Any ideas?

What’s going on here is that the ‘pattern’ pads are over-riding the bass sounds in bank 2 of the ‘instrument’ pads.

If you don’t plan to use the pattern banks, you could simply toggle this little button in the PATTERN tab so it turns yellow.
ga3
Those bass pads can now be triggered via incoming MIDI events.

If you’d like to use those patterns and also have access to the bass sounds then you’ll want to change the MIDI channel that you’ll use to trigger those patterns.

1. Click the ‘PATTERN’ tab.

2. In the lower left corner click where it says ‘omni’ (or it might be set to channel 1)
    ga1
    and set it to an alternative channel.
    ga2

At this point you should find that the bass sounds now play with the B-1 through G#0 octave from your MIDI controller on channel 1.

To trigger those pattern pads, you’ll want to do that over channel 2.

OR, you could keep it on the same channel with INSTRUMENT pads, but remap the patterns inside GA to different trigger notes that don’t conflict. The pattern pads even have a handy ‘learn trigger’ feature if you right click a pad.

It’s a pretty common for Groove Agent to have a separate MIDI track setting off pattern pads from the one used to trigger instrument pads.

Also be aware that deeper in the instrument there may be ways to change up how those pattern pads behave (Full GA 5 might have more/different abilities than SE in this respect). I.E. Should they only play while the pad is being “HELD DOWN”, or should they play all the way through in one shot fashion at a single ‘tap’ of the pad…or perhaps even modes that loop a specific number of times on a one shot.

If you’d like to be able to work in real time from a MIDI controller over multiple channels like this you’ve got a few options.

1. If your MIDI controller has extra pads or buttons (MPC style, or a row of buttons that can send assignable MIDI notes), then you could send those off to trigger patterns on one channel, while the keys send over the instrument channel.

2. Some MIDI controllers allow you to build ‘split zones’ across the keyboard. I.E. A lower octave transmitting over a different channel from the rest of the keyboard.

3. If your MIDI controller doesn’t provide these sorts of features, Cubase can do it for you a few different ways!

Method 1: Set up a project MIDI transformer that’d swap the channel of incoming notes in real time as required.

Method 2: Use an extra MIDI track for the pattern events. Set it to the channel you’ve established in GA for playing pattern pads. Keep your Main Groove Agent track set to use channel 1. Build ‘track transformers’ for each track to ‘filter out’ any zones of events that should NOT be passed through into GA.

Also, for what it’s worth, the full version of Groove Agent 5 is a bit more robust than the SE variant. It can host up to 4 complete kits at a time. You can set each kit to receive over any MIDI channel you like (While SE only hosts one kit…instruments over channel 1, and the pattern pads can have an alternate MIDI channel). Full GA5 also has an extra ‘MIDI port’ that can optionally be used to keep the pattern banks even more isolated from the instrument banks.

Either way…with GA SE, or the full version…
Don’t overlook the amazing Diamond Drum editor that Cubase provides! With GA, you can ‘import’ a matching drum map that’s all ready to go!

Top Menu: MIDI/Open Drum Editor for the full screen version, and it also works in the lower zone (by default if a drum map is assigned).

Thank you very much brian. This helps a ton!

1 Like