Cubase 12 OS requirements (Mac)

The website seems to suggest Cubase 12 won’t run on Mac OS 10.15. Is that the case? I’m on 10.15.7.

I have the same macOS 10.15.7 and it works good so far. I have an intel MacBook Pro i9 processor.

2 Likes

Thanks, Gary.

I went ahead and downloaded it; installed okay and launched. I haven’t tried using it yet but it’s promising so far.

1 Like

I also have an i9 Macbook Pro running Catalina 10.15.7, so this is encouraging news. Thank you.

1 Like

So far everything is good. I purchased the laptop because I didn’t know how long all my software will catch up to M1. I have been thinking about going up to Big Sir as a lot of software seems to have caught up.

1 Like

Yeah - I was considering that too. But I probably won’t 'til I really really have to.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat as you guys but I bought an iMac in the fall of 2020 to get in on the last generation of i9 chips. I haven’t done a thorough analysis of which of my plug-ins would quit working in Big Sur but there’s always surprises. The main thing here is most of my Waves plug-ins are not supported beyond 10.15 so I’d have to pay $240 to upgrade them. Which isn’t backbreaking but I only use them sporadically (mostly the Abbey Road stuff) so it’s not a very practical use of money.

hi, i have just bought a new macbook pro and will reinstall cubase 12pro. Until now i’ve been using Big Sur 11.5.2 on my old mac, but will be running on ventura. Is there anything I should be aware of when making the transition? Thinking plugin compatibility etc. I am new to this process, so thanks for the support.

Cubase 12 itself works perfectly fine in Ventura here, but you need to check with the manufacturers of your plugins to see if those are.

Waves version 9 and 10 did not work on our machines after upgrading from Catalina to BigSur. But it is easy to use the Waves installer central program to remove those specific versions. Waves version 13 worked on BigSur and then Monterey, and Monterey (quite stable now at point release 12.6.2) worked better than BigSur. I would not be in a hurry to upgrade to Ventura; 13.1 just came out and 13.0 was buggy. I did not see Waves version 14 listed as supporting Ventura and many plugin vendors are still testing on Ventura. I don’t know anyone who has upgraded to or wants to upgrade to Ventura running a production machine in a professional facility. We learned a long time to stay at least 1 major revision behind the current version of MacOS. Apple often only supports the previous 2 revisions from the current release which means Catalina support should be history. The facilities I work with upgraded to Monterey because Steinberg support won’t help you anymore if you tell them they are running Catalina. Also for those of us who run other DAWs like LogicPro, Monterey (and not Ventura) is required to run the latest version. We will probably only upgrade to Monterey when Apple requires that for a release of Logic with features we could use.

… I should have said - probably only upgrade to Ventura - when Logic eventually requires it …

Just chipping in to say that I can run Cubase 12 in a Macbook Air 11 from early 2015 running macOS 10.14 Mojave, so I’m not sure why Cubase is officially listed as needing at least Big Sur.

Because Catalina is unsupported by Apple, so Steinberg is not supporting people running it on anything below Big Sur.

If it works, great, but if you run into trouble, that’s on you to resolve it basically.

1 Like