Cubase 12 pro need a high end audio interface pc. Suggestions?

Hello,

I have Cubase 12 pro and looking to get myself a high-end audio interface.
Haven’t produced for a decade and not sure what to get. I use to run cubase 4 with a RME multiface with a pci card back in the days. I’m currently using an Audient iD14 mkII and the and I get peaks by time and asio guard goes high .
Any suggestions? Running windows 10 on a amd 5950x processor. Looking for rock solid interface.
Thank you for sharing your advice

Oli

Well , how many inputs and outputs ? I personally would stick with RME , drivers fantastic , the ADI2 pro FS r is just fantastic conversion, or you have the UCX2 or it’s bigger brother , all fantastic conversion and rock solid drivers BUT hard to get hold of , or the Steinberg AXr4 . another very good interface

2 Likes

I recently switched to 2x MOTU 828es after having an Antelope Zen Studio for some years and several others before. Can absolutely recommend them. Couldn’t be happier and its one of the top contenders, if you look at loopback test measurements (its up there with Lynx devices).

1 Like

Antelope do not work well with PCs and features are missing. A new interface no matter how good may not fix your problem as it likely computer related. Have you tried running latencyMon to see where the problem could be?

I would get things working right with your current interface before getting another.

As far as audio interfaces go then RME are rock solid with windows and offer low latency even at higher buffer values. I get around 3ms at 128 sample buffers. I still see computer problems though on the RME forum where the user is getting glitches so my first point is making sure the pc is setup correctly and tweaked for audio and if latencyMon identifies a problem then hopefully you can rectify that too.

Thats not true in my experience. I had 2 Antelope interfaces in the last 7 years, and never had an issue once with drivers/etc. They are good interfaces, but you get more for less, when buying other interfaces (thats why I switched to MOTU).

The thing with buffer numbers is, that they are different with any manufacturers and are not comparable directly.
E.g. Antelopes 256 buffer corresponds to Focusrites and Motus 128 buffer.

As @mkok already said, the issue won’t go away with another interface most probably. Its a PC issue and my bet is, that its the GPU causing it.

You need some real figures to back up that argument.
There is a long thread in Gearspace where they measure different interfaces.
https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.php?p=6716101&postcount=1
Unfortunately not latest antelope interfaces.
Their Discrete 8 is in the top when using thunderbolt, but not so good with USB.
But RTL for 128 is 6.89 ms compared to 8.435 ms. Antelope 256 is 12.698 ms.
For usb driver the antelope is 10.677ms (128) 19.386 ms (256)
Motu 424 is 8.027 ms (128) 13.832 ms (256)
While Motu 16A (thunderbolt driver) is behind with 10.628 ms (128) and 19.335 ms (256)
I think all this are measurements on MS windows. Mac might be very different.
If latency is important check out the very specific model. But in general pcie < thunderbolt < usb3 or firewire < usb2.

I have the interfaces and I measured them myself.
My Motu 828es have a reported RTL of 4,6ms (USB2) on 128, whereas the Antelope Zen Studio had about 6,3 ms around 128 (USB2).

This shows, the list is not up to date at all, as I had the 16A as well and it showed the same RTL as the 828es. Probably the drivers weren’t optimized at that time.

With Thunderbolt the RTL should be even lower, could not test it yet, as I don’t have a TB slot in my PC. That shows, that buffer size your PC handles is no “standard” value, but depends on the manufacturer, the driver and the interface itself.

I’d not look at the buffer sizes at all, but at the lowest RTL your PC can manage.
Doesn’t help at all, if you have an interface, which has a lower RTL at 32, but isn’t able to play back audio safely without hiccups.

Also there is no information about the sample rate, which is crucial for RTL measurements.

Hi,
Would need 2 or 4 IN’s and 4 outs.
RME would be my 1st option. The lynx looks good but would need to get the aurora AD/DA.
Its kinda odd took a break in 2010 and back producing recently and not much has changed. In terms of latency , buffer size and asio.
Type c has great bandwidth but the drivers don’t use as much.
I thought maybe setting up and great pc would solve issues, but no , i was wrong.
My Cpu would run at 18% and memory 7%
and asio guard is 3/4 and cubase is peaking.
there’s an issue with the plug-ins and the audio interface drivers that causes a bottleneck.
Thats what I’m thinking.

5950x cpu
X570s chipset
32gb ram b-die

Hi,
Are you on iOS or Win ?

I am on Windows 11 (which btw. works perfectly fine as Windows 10 before).

You should be able to check if that is the case, by downloading the ASIO4ALL driver and testing with that one.
Is the problem still present? If yes, then the problem is somewhere on your PC and changing the interface will most probably not solve anything.

I still bet its the GPU or some buggy device driver, which is causing this.

Specs:
Amd 5950x
X570 chipset
32gb ram b-die
800w platinum cert power supply.
2 x nvme m.2 gen4 samsung 980 pro 1tb
Rtx 3060 nvidia graphics card
16 phase vrm lane motherboard.

Are you using the newest “Studio” driver?

Yes the latest “Studio” drivers . Don’t tell me the latest one has issues lol

RME Digiface (USB)?

Super affordable and you can invest into the I/O you require whenever suits (via ADAT capable units), but always maintaining that stable RME base. Their windows drivers are top notch.

It’s so small you can even plug it in to a laptop and use the headphone port when there’s no external audio required.

The Audient should be pretty good though, I would look into what’s causing your issues, i’ve heard great things about their newer interfaces.

Run some DPC latency checks is the best place to start.

1 Like

One last thing I’m suspecting and some of you might think its ridiculous is the whole AMD platform. Anyone running on Amd?

It is not that important as long as they are done in the same way. This table is created on the same machine. Reported RTL is not a measurement. The test also includes running plugins. But it does not show how well it behaves with high number of channels, and that is not easy to compare. RME have cards that do 390 channels whiles other have stereo in stereo out.

Yup good question.
44khz 256 and 512 sample rate.
2 empty stereo tracks loaded with plug ins as a test.
The make of the plug-ins
izotope and landr

Make sure to check system latency as you use your machine:
https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

That can rule out any driver/hardware issues. It may be that you have ports not in use that you can disable (i.e. wifi/bluetooth etc.). Or Nvidia driver may show up as an issue.

In regard to your AMD question, I moved from an Intel i7 with onboard GPU to AMD Ryzen 7 with RTX 3070TI and it’s been brilliant. I’m only on the cheaper B450 chipset, too.

1 Like

I don’t think it will be the audio drivers. It’s usually the graphics that cause problems. As I’ve mentioned and then mentioned again above. Get latencyMon and check it out.

I’m using an i9 so I can’t comment on AMD. What happens if you load stock plugins? Do you suddenly see a rise when using the plugins you mentioned?

Countless of users are using AMD with Cubase with no issues at all. As long as the CPU (single core performance) is not maxed out, there is nothing wrong with it.

Do the following:

After doing that the chances are 99% we know what the problem is.

In this case it is, as the data is obviously not up to date and without any detailted information we are not able to replicate the measurements and be sure, they are valid.

1 Like