Cubase 12 recording Roland MC-500 mkII sequences

Does anyone know if it is possible to record MC-500 mkII sequences directly into Cubase 12 ? The MC-500 I presume would have to control the MIDI clock and the sequence would have to record in real time ?
Or if there is a way to export / import the MIDI files from the MC-500 to Cubase 12.
I tried to use the MRM-500 software but the floopy disk that is created doesnt seem to be able to be read by Windows 10/11 acfter it creates the .MID files.
Thank you in advance .

We used to have a mc50 and built the files on a pc and passed them back and forth. It sounds like the the mc500 was different or windows is. The mc50 saved as standard midi files.
Have you downloaded the manual of the mc500 to see what clocking it can send? It certainly can play the midi back and you can record in Cubase

1 Like

Thank you “mkok” for going to the trouble of writing a response for me. I think im getting closer to solving this, also with your optimism. Also Ive watched a few YouTube videos now and from what I can see is,
I need to set the MC-500mkII to receive MIDI Sync as opposed to Internal Sync.
Cubase needs to send MIDI sync to the MC-500mkII
And when I press record on Cubase (on a MIDI track), the MC-500mkII starts playing
And Cubase starts recording the MIDI events
So it looks like a two way thing to get this working as it seems that Cubase 12 doesnt receive/recognise MIDI clock from a MC-500mkII.
Still need to iron out a few more bugs like where it starts recording in the bar, but definitely closer.
Thank you.

Cubase cannot slave to MIDI clock source by design, so MC500 has to be the one that receives the sync.
If the timing of MC500 is ok when slaved to an external clock, it might be tighter to record MIDI from the sequencer without any synchronization. You can record a note at the very start of the sequence, and then record another note at the end, both where nothing else is played.
Set the same tempo and start recording on Cubase, then hit start on the MC500 at a bar line, e.g. bar3 or so. Wait for all to play and use those extra notes to align the tempo by changing cubase tempo or time stretching the recorded part, it’s not difficult at all.

1 Like

Thank you Takashi for confirming the MIDI clock fact that Cubase cannot slave.

The timing seems exact which i guess is lucky except that Cubase starts recording 1/4 beat into the bar at the beginning of the song as opposed to the start of the bar.

So I will try your idea of putting spacer bars at the beginning and end in Cubase and pulling everything back to 1.0.0.0 when it looks good.

Thank you so much also for helping me with this problem…
I am anxious as I have so many MIDI sequences still on MC-500 and want to save them before the old technology stops working.
The problem for all of us these days.

1 Like

Yeah, just record the MIDI stream from the MC500 without synchronization and align it later with timebase set to linear. That should result sequence with the best MIDI timing.
(IIIRC, MC500 was a bit weak in that regard. )

1 Like

Thank you once again Takashi… Very much appreciate you taking the time to respond to my situation

1 Like