Cubase 12 Remote controller issue/question

I have a faderbox that I used to send out normal midi controller messages, recorded the into midi track, as well as automation commands (not recorded in the midi track). With the new remote controller surface that does not seem to be possible anymore. In the studio setup the remote controller is set to be visible and active as a normal midi input, but as soon as a enable the remote script no messages are recorded anymore in the midi channel and I can only use it as “Cubase command surface”. What am I doing wrong?

Well, it turns out that whenever you have controls that should just “pass through” their midi information to the midi track, they should not be added to the remote controller surface editor at all.

There were some prior forums discussions about this as well.

And if in the future, you’re ever looking for having multiple MIDI Remote pages where the same fader or knob sometimes sends Cubase messages and other times it sends raw MIDI CC messages, there’s another work-around:

p.s. It has been requested in some other threads (and I also hope) that passing MIDI CC will eventually become a regular feature of the new MIDI Remote.

Hey, thanks for your reply Nico, I will try out the quick control solution as well

1 Like

Even though this is a somewaht old thread, just wanted to chime in and say that I tried this workaround, as I have some faders and buttons on my masterkeyboard, and it has worked ok as a simple MIDI Remote. Now I was thinking of using new pages in the script to use as a MIDI CC controller for Kontakt libraries, but it’s a no-go… That’s really a shame, passing MIDI CC’s through the Remote API should be a main goal in the development of such a new interface. That workaround only works if you record automation lanes, not MIDI CC’s directly onto the MIDI part, wich is a workflow I truly prefer, keeping all data tidy inside the MIDI track. So, to do this, I have to let go of the MIDI Remote thing altogether…

If you want to send MIDI CCs, why not bypass the MIDI Remote and go straight from the hardware remote into the Kontakt instrument track?

And if you want to use the hardware sometimes with the MIDI Remote and sometimes bypass it, that should be doable by choosing different MIDI channels being sent from the hardware - and using different presets on the hardware (sometimes also called templates) to achieve that.

For example have one of those hardware presets send all MIDI CCs on channel 16 and the other one on channel 1. And then configure the MIDI remote to listen only to channel 16 CCs. So when you send channel 1 CCs they can go straight into the selected instrument (or midi) track.

1 Like

Just to add to your suggestions, my friend, I must note that in the scripting side of the MIDI Remote, one can always perform cc translations instead of a DAW binding, and send them to a virtual port that can take care of it. This can be especially useful for controllers with no multiple MIDI OUT ports.

2 Likes

Thank you, that’s actually a very good idea, choosing different channels! Will definitely try it, thanks!

1 Like

Thank you! I haven’t explored the scripting side of the remote yet, but will look into it. Virtual port is perhaps a path to pursue, as my kbd only has one midi out. How would one go about it? Of course I’ll look in the manual :slight_smile: but I get a feeling scripting will not be thoroughly laid out…

I got it!!! It’s working!!! Thank you, thank you!!!

In a nutshell:

• created two different MIDI setups in my hardware controller (It’s a Kurzweil PC88mx, besides all the buttons, PB, MW and stuff has 4 assignable faders and 3 assignable buttons), so in another keyboard it could be named Scene, or wahtever
  • assigned different MIDI transmit channels to these setups (one is all channel x, the other channel y)
  • alternating between the two, I can have full MIDI Remote capability (with all the controlable functions I had set up previously), or I can have MIDI CC’s directly in my MIDI tracks!
    I use mainly Cinematic Studio and Spitfire libraries, and of course I use the ArtConductor extraordinary Expression Maps (that was a huge time saver), but that is just part of the equation, and the ability to record live with my left hand controlling 3 faders in realtime is super intuitive! Now I can play and rec the CC’s I need (mainly CC1, 11, 2) straight in to the MIDI!
    So now I’m a happy camper!!! :slight_smile:
1 Like