Cubase 12 Upgrade ASIO-Guard Issue

Hi @jazztom , on Windows, just enter “System Information” into the Windows Search (hit Windows key), open the System Info App, go to Files → Save as → mySystem.nfo
The file contains possibly sensitive data, so please don’t post on the forum, but submit as private message to me.
Thank you!

Hi @funkster1 , I have reported your crash to our developers.
The crash happened while getting the windows displayed on the screen after your return.
Seeing a Midi Remote Window on your screenshot: can you try if running your project without Midi Controller and Quick Controls has an impact on the performance?

Hi @Chriss,

Will do when I get home tonight.
Thank you for reporting to the devs. :wink:

@Chriss :

Very interesting find.
Disabling my two MIDI-Remote scripts (BCR2000 by @Giampaolo_Gesuale) and Nektar LX88+ created by myself (with no assigned functions yet) indeed makes my little project play without any audio dropouts.
Re-enabling them starts the dropouts again …

In fact not very practical using Cubase without controllers … :roll_eyes:

Thank you @funkster1 ! And: feel you. Hope to provide a fix for this soon!

Can others also confirm that disableing their Midi Remote scripts leads to a better C12 performance (not: better experience :zipper_mouth_face:)?
Still: I fear we are dealing with several issues, so I guess not all of you are running Midi Remote scripts…

2 Likes

Hi Chriss,

I’m using the cc121 and a Persons Faderport 16 with Cubase in addition to my system info.

I don’t run any midi remote scripts. C12 performance was very bad. Uninstalled it because somehow it affected both my Cubase 11 and Nuendo 11. I actually had to reinstall N11 because it wouldn’t open projects anymore after installing C12. I finally got C11 to open projects successfully after pasting backup default and other files into the folder. I also had to update my elicenser because I suddenly got all these “no Cubase/Nuendo license available” error messages.

1 Like

While I do have MIDI Remote scripts running (for my Novation Impulse), disconnecting the device doesn’t help over here.

Did you disable the script or just remove the device. You can actually disable the script in the remote midi screen.

I tried both. Disabling the script had at least one effect: That delay when switching away from a problematic track to a empty track is gone when the MIDI Remote script is deactivated.

The ASIO overload, crackling, e.a. remains though.

2 Likes

I agree
I do not have a problem with dropouts etc
20 tracks running at 25% on the perfomance meter.
I made a song on the Yamaha Genos. I exported the midi file to edit in Cubase 12, converted to waves and mixed .
I also get 25% on audio not even playing on an empty project.
Everything is 25% at the moment for me no matter what i do…
In Cubase 11 all ran smoothly except when i updated Cubase 11 to 11.0.41 from 40.
It just seems weird on the meters now in Cubase 12 as they do not appear to be accurate.
Oh well , we will have to wait for a fix. Mines a double whisky!!! :grinning:
I would never fiddle with the bios as some suggest.
I had the stuck on video problem and reinstalling windows 11 solved it.(For anyone interested)

2 Likes

I’m having the same issues it’s almost unbearable. I’m getting lots of freezing and crashes. Kontakt is taking a while to load. I even had an issue where when I clicked on a drop down like for example Studio there was nothing in the drop down to choose from. It’s just sluggish and I had no issues like this with Cubase 11. I’m on windows 10, i7, 32 gigs main computer and i7 windows 10 128 gigs of ram on slave computer.

1 Like

This is a bit of a shot in the dark, as I haven’t updated to Cubase 12 yet, but it may be of help. Those of you who are on Windows, have you tried reinstalling the Visual C++ x64 packages? I’m suggesting this as I had a quite weird graphical issue some weeks ago with Cubase Pro 11.0.41 when, from one day to another and without having modified my Cubase installation, projects started opening with a kind of Windows 7-style buttons superimposed over the standard Windows 10 buttons. Really, really weird.
After scratching my head for a couple of days, I concluded that the only possible thing that had changed over that period of time was some plugins updates (Waves, Native Instruments, iLok…), which incidentally also updated the Visual C++ libraries they needed to work. So, as a last resort, I went to the Microsoft site and downloaded the latest Visual C++ x64 redistributables. And that worked: reinstalling the Visual C++ 2013 x64 package did the trick and solved the problem immediately.
Maybe the library got corrupted somehow and the reinstall refreshed it? Maybe one of the plugins installed an outdated version of the package that made Cubase misbehaving? I don’t really know. But I guess it could be something to try, especially for those of you that experience a performance degradation in Cubase 11 after installing the Cubase 12 update, which may suggest that some third-party driver or external library is affecting both versions.

4 Likes

By the way, the Cubase 12 installer includes the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable (x64) - 14.28.29914, which apparently is not the latest version available, as the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2022 Redistributable (x64) - 14.31.31103 can already be downloaded from the Microsoft website. Again, I’m not a coder myself, just an user, so maybe some Cubase developer with the right knowledge can chime in and confirm if this could have some influence or not on the issues reported.

4 Likes

i think the same weird window started opening on Cubase 11 (latest) last night for me also!

I downloaded Cubase 11 onto a computer i hadn’t used in 4 years, and then updated all my plugins.

When i opened Cubase 11 it asked me something it never has on my other computer (“do you want to use Yamaha interface UR28M?”, paraphrasing), and the dialog box had a weird appearance that made me wonder if it was from Cubase 6 or something.

I thought it happened because when i upgraded my USB eLicencer software on the new computer it did some weird stuff, changed the status of my C11 Pro (“not upgradable”) without my asking, yukk.

Seconded. It would be great if a Cubase developer could share some insights regarding Windows Visual C++ or the .NET framework, which could possibly be affecting Cubase performance issues, especially plugin-loading.

1 Like

You will never meet a Steinberg dev here, afaik :slight_smile:
I never had issues with C++ stuff on my computers but remind that some others solved issues by updating this part of software. I am not sure 100% but in the past it was even installed by the Cubase application installer (may be last seen on my Windows 7 machine though).

The thing is that almost every plugin installer seems to include the particular version of the Visual C++ library it needs to work. And it does it without asking the user. So it’s difficult to anticipate how those libraries can interact with other plugins or even our main DAW. For example, yesterday I updated to the latest Waves Central and it installed during the process the Visual C++ 2005… Also, the problem I described on my post above was solved by reinstalling especifically the 2013 version of the redistributable. So it’s not as easy as always updating to the latest version, there’re many more factors to consider.

1 Like

Yeah, all of us have unique setups and hence run into rather unique problems. Sometimes updates improve things, sometimes updates make things worse. We are especially at a critical juncture in time, of new OS platform upgrades and compatibility issues with many 3rd, 4rth, 5th parties. It is increasingly becoming difficult to diagnose problems now, than there used to be.

It would be nice that a developer or messenger could share a broader picture of what could be happening for each OS platform, so that we can all do a better diagnosis on our own systems and setups.

[quote=“Chriss, post:152, topic:769834”]
Could you please all reply to my post here and list:

• System information/Project Details [/quote]

*Mac Big Sur OS 11.6.5
*Intel I7 2.7 Quad Core
*C12 didn’t fail, it just performed miserably
*24/48k
*Asio Guard disabled always. Does not work as advertised. Never did.
*Audio buffer 512-756, Mixing at 1012
*Lots of VSTi’s. At least 40 audio tracks - mostly vocals, guitars, and samples. At least 4 midi tracks as well.
*Doesn’t matter how many VSTi’s are in ANY project - C12 will cause the CPU to go up, and down, and up… And then stop playback. Like I keep mentioning affinitum and nobody responds to, these problems are EXACTLY the same ones that came with Cubase 10.5’s release, EXACTLY, no differences. As if 10.5 was relabelled C12. And EXACTLY the same problems that stopped in Cubase 11 / Nuendo 11. I am praying that the problems of C12 are not going to be repeated in Nuendo 12. Praying hard…

1 Like