Cubase 12

Is @steve employed by Steinberg?

Simoof, thanks for getting the point.
As an owner of Cubase I have a right to flag up an annoyance without the moderator acting the way that he did.
I am entitled (not Entitled, silly buzzword) to express that on the forum I am a member of.
If the moderator is being paid to oversee this forum his remarks were unprofessional, if he isn’t well he’s just flexing muscle. As to the rest, there are always little dogs yapping away thinking they are clever.

1 Like

You have a right to express an opinion. If you express something ridiculous then there will be plenty of yapping from other users on the forum who equally have the right to reply.

3 Likes

mkok, the yap comment was not aimed at you - I thought it was pretty obvious who it WAS aimed at.
My initial reply to you was conciliatory in tone and yet you keep calling my view ridiculous so there is nothing more I have to say to you.

1 Like

Sorry. I’ll shut up now.

1 Like

@Spottydog10. Have you considered Fruity Loops? Free upgrades for life, and I’m told, an exceptional DAW.

2 Likes

This is why we can’t have nice things! :rofl: :rofl: :joy:

Reaper is the way when ya don’t want to continue to pay. You get 2 FULL versions for $60

I bought in when 11 came out so I want BIGGER discount so…

Thanks for the suggestions regarding different DAWs but I’d prefer to use Cubase.
Just to bring the discussion back on track:

Upgrading from v9 to 10 cost me £136, if the proposed figure for 12 is another £99 then I will be charged £235 to upgrade from v9 to 12.

My other issue was the attitude of Steve the moderator who hasn’t deigned to join in the discussion since throwing a cheap comment about being “entitled”

Sorry, that is not accurate, as I did reply immediately, and subsequently posted other replies.

You have entirely misconstrued my words.

1 Like

Sorry yes, you posted one other reply.
How did I misconstrue “Entitled”?

Well, he’s not wrong. You bought your upgrade in April. The grace period was announced in November, 7 months later. And no one here even knows when 12 will finally come out anyways. Could be next month, could be next summer.

Knowing that every single year Steinberg announces their new version or some sort of upgrade offer at the SAME TIME, that was YOUR choice to upgrade when you did. Whether 11.5 came out as usual, or 12 came out, or nothing came out, you still weren’t eligible because you chose to buy it when you did. Rules are rules, clear as day and night. Lets just give everybody that bought Cubase in the last year a free upgrade because why not right? I mean hell, I bought VST24 right before VST32 came out, Steinberg still owes me big time 20 years ago!

1 Like

Indeed. But what is your point? £235 for 5 years worth of updates - that’s what many people would call a bargain! You said in one of your first posts you’re a pro musician, but it seems you’re hesitant to pay for pro software. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

We could’ve have had the cost justification argument for years, and could continue to. I can say that after I finish this album I’m working on, I’m probably done, Steinberg. After 32 years of using your stuff Steinberg, beginning with Pro24 on an Atari 1040, I am finally at my wit’s end, the cost factor notwithstanding.

I’m switching to Logic. 200 bucks, no yearly upgrades, save for the odd charge here and there for major releases is among my myriad reasons for leaving you, up to and including Cubase 12 being one of the last nails in the coffin.

It’s not enough that I just upgraded and ARA Integration STILL isn’t working right, after a couple years worth of complaints. What was your big killer feature? No more dongles. Wow. If I could trade the ARA save fix for no more dongles, I’d have preferred the former. So there’s that.

The 2nd part is, I STILL HAVE TO USE A DONGLE, STEINBERG!

I upgraded a few days ago, and for kicks and giggles, decided to pull my dongle out of the USB hub to see what would happen. Cubase itself will load without it plugged in now, but since stockholm syndrome and never getting one’s hopes up for a new release has become the norm, sure enough, there was a problem. If you have licensed content installed - in the form of things like Halion or Groove Agent sound libraries, associated with a release, not the Steinberg pay libraries even, it will fail to load them, and it’ll bark at you with a failure about the dongle not being present.

So thanks Steinberg, for making my decision a little easier. I wish you all the best.

2 Likes

It was only Cubase going dongleless. It never mentioned plugins. Very naive to think that. Logic is apple only and I’m sure they subsidise it which is probably why it’s so cheap. Enjoy your logic. I’ll just keep using Cubase on a pc and upgrade smart by not rushing in and getting the upgrades mid term when the sale is on.

1 Like

Well, Steinberg introduces with every release the best and significant feature(s). After two or four releases these features are fixed as they were released, these features are fired and forget :slight_smile:
VCA faders and saving the SPP is not fixed (since version 9), the misbehaviour with files moved to trash in the pool is not fixed, changing the recording path when move the project to another location is not possible, the great feature to link Cubase and WaveLab works only when you’re on the same machine, etc., etc.
So Steinberg has to release a bugfix for 19,99 I think.

2 Likes

I suggest looking up the Double Empathy Problem.
…It is effective across cultures as well as neurotypes.
When someone’s feelings are hurt, gaslighting is the first assumption.
But sometimes it’s just a misunderstanding.

No one would intentionally be rude with a badge next to their name.

No one who has been around for a decade would call someone else out if their feelings were not actually hurt.

It’s a misunderstanding. Everyone, please let it go.

1 Like

Good point

Well, to keep Logic up to date, you’ll have to change your Mac every few years, which will cost way more than what Cubase updates cost.

I like to be paid for what I do, so I don’t mind paying Steinberg a quite small amount compared to what Avid charges for ProTools.

Anyway, I’m sure you did the maths, hope that the learning curve doesn’t scare you and Logic satisfies your needs.

We utilize the five major DAWs here at our two studios, including Cubase Pro and Logic Pro.

Our Studio B computer is a 2015 iMac which replaced a 2010 Mac Pro in 2015. Even though this computer is seven years old, it runs both Cubase Pro and Logic Pro very well. We replaced our Studio A computer, a 2013 Mac Pro, with a 2020 iMac in 2020. We have never had to buy new Macs frequently, in fact, we rarely replace our Macs.

One of the most attractive benefits of Logic Pro is that once it is purchased one never has to purchase updates. However, the lack of upgrade cost is just one consideration. Each DAW has strengths and weaknesses and one’s choice of DAW is often based on personal choice, or client’s choice.

Our experience is that the learning curve for all major DAWs is about the same today since they are all quite complex.

1 Like