Cubase 13.0.30 Freezes

I keep getting Cubase Freezes at what seems like random times. I had 3 of them in a single session last night. It seems it never happens during recording or playback or evem MIDI editing. but when I am reordering tracks, or insert effects in the project window or doing other things not relatest to playback or editing. I have Googled many of the lines in this Crash Dump report (see attached dump file) but cannot find what it causing this. problem. One of them is:
SYMBOL_NAME: wdmaud!CMIDIOutDevice::WriteEvent+9c
The vast majority of the search results are Cubase related. So I’m not the only one having this problem.
I am sending all of these dump files to Steinberg via the gray crash screen that comes up when starting Cubase after a crash but this is becoming frustrating. Can anyone take a look at this dump file and figure out what the cuilprit might be?
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
-mike
Cubase 13.0.30
Windows 11 23H2
Core i9 14900K
64GB RAM

Cubase 13.0.30 64bit 2024.3.30 2.18.22.012-freezedump.dmp (1.7 MB)

Hi,

This mean, the issue is in the old buggy Windows WDM MIDI driver. In Cubase Studio Setup > MIDI Ports Setup enable the WinRT to use the new MIDI driver type on Windows, please.

Thanks for the response, Martin. I have all of my external MIDI stuff running on old fashioned MIDI cables and a MIDI interface, except for my controller. I ran into this same problem with the Korg USB MIDI driver and removing that really helped. I then ran a number of sessions with no problems at all. Then it cropped back up and has been happening more often than before.
So I did the WinRT thing but could not use my controller. (which makes sense) I threw out my MIDI Cables years ago so I actually purchase new ones and rather than running my Korg stuff via USB I’m running via MIDI cables now. So the problem could certainly be the USB connected controller keyboard.
Question: Even though these MIDI interfaces connect via USB, using them may solve the problem I’m having? I have more ports on my MIDI interface and I’m happy buy more MIDI cables if that may solve the problem.
This also brings up the question of why this didn’t happen for the last 5 years that I’ve been doing this. However I have purchased a new computer that is running Windows 11 - 23H2. (I was runningt windows 10 before) And that may be the problem or contributing to the problem.
I still have an old M-Audio UNO midi interface that I’m not using. This will make every external MIDI device connected via MIDI cables instead of direct USB.
So, I’ll give that a try and see if that helps.
Thanks again for the help! Much appreciated!

Hi,

I expect, all the MIDI cables are connected to any device, which is connected via USB to the computer. So it’s not (obviously) the “MIDI cables” vs “USB” issue. It depends on the given device driver. Some devices are using native Windows drivers, some may have own driver.

Well, Martin. I have just done 3 sessions with Cubase 13 in winRT MIDI mode and it performed flawlessly. No freezes, crashes, or other anomalies. Just rock solid.
So, thank you, thank you, thank you! It seems you have solved a problem that I was having for months. and I am greatly appreciative!
I have passed this info along on the FB Cubase Users Group page to other users who where having the same problem. And of course I gave you credit! :grinning:
You saved the day!

2 Likes