Cubase 13 automation (read) bug

Hi, I noticed a problem a few times since upgrading to C13 (on a Win10 PC): after working on a project for a certain amount of time, Cubase suddenly stops reading automation for tracks. For example, I’ll manually move a fader and it won’t snap back to the automated position upon playback. I’m pretty sure the automation suspend function is not on when this happens.

The only workaround I’ve found so far is to close and re-open the project.

I never had this problem on previous versions. Has anyone else noticed something similar since updating to 13? Is this a new weird preference or “feature” that I haven’t set properly?

Update: it seems that using a fader to write at least one node of automation (not drawing it with the mouse), then switching the track back to read mode brings the project back to its normal read behaviour.

Very strange glitch… it’s as if the “automation suspend” gets activated randomly.

If you could create a step-by-step reproduction, assuming it’s not intermittent, that would help so others could try to duplicate this same behavior. Also your system specs would be important.

If you are able to create a reproduction, make sure you go to the automation settings, and give the setting information that controls the number of nodes being created. (sorry I’m out of town and can’t remember the setting.)

Hi Greg,

Sorry for the late reply… the problem is hard to isolate/duplicate because it has mostly been happening on projects that are already rather busy. This is what I’ve got so far:

  1. Select a track on which no automation has been recorded yet. (It seems to happen on those tracks in particular.)

  2. In STOP mode (when project is not playing back) Manually draw one automation node (with the mouse… I often do that when I want to set a default starting volume for a track, for example). (the bug also sometimes happens when manually adding automation nodes during playback but it’s not as predictable).

  3. At this point the fader stops responding to automation (including the node that’s just been added).

  4. The only way to resolve this problem is to set the channel to write and record an actual fader movement (with fader or control surface). As a result I then get a chopped off automation curve (as shown in the image):

  1. Then I can delete this additional “placeholder” automation, set the track back to read and the fader now responds again to automation.

It’s not a huge problem, especially know that I know this workaround, but it seems quite convoluted compared to my previous experience with Cubase.

Here are screenshots of my automation settings (I’ll admit I still find the different modes a bit confusing, even after many years of using Cubase) (also I’m not sure what you mean exactly by “the setting information that controls the number of nodes being created.”, sorry):

Cubase Auto bug 2
Cubase Auto bug 3

SYSTEM SPECS:
|Processor|Intel(R) Core™ i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.19 GHz|
|Installed RAM|16.0 GB
|Edition|Windows 10 Home|
|Version|22H2|
|OS build|19045.3693|

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

Cubase 13.0.10

I’m also currently using a Behringer X-Touch One surface.

I’ve had the same problem.

Same here!

Same here too.

Unfortunately, the whole automation thing in Cubase becomes worse with every new update. The only “fast” way (I personally found) to not have to deal with erratic “touch” mode (I’m experiencing the same problem you’re describing with C13) is to use the range selection tool – select (in the automation “lane” ) the whole song duration from start to finish and click with the mouse the small scaling central point . The result is two automatically generated automation points (@ start - end). Doing so “corrects” all the unexpected behaviours … except of course when you’ll enter the “trim” mode. (Where you just have to manually place an automation point after the part you want to automate) … What a “professional” way to work!! … :disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved:… Please don’t misunderstand me here. I’m a Steinberg user since the Pre-Cubase PRO24 Atari version. I just can not understand why we Cubase users must always find a “workaround” for one of the most basic (and truly important at the same time) function like “Touch Automation”. Curious why it’s not “a big issue” out there and mostly curious why Nuendo works like a charm!!! – I truly wish I’m wrong and there is something I’m missing but I’m afraid that’s the way it is at least for now. Hope I helped !


It is pretty bad. I ‘lose’ automation each time I do the following: I have an Instrument (or other) track that I want to render (onto another track, mostly to have a ‘copy’ of the waveform in case I lose settings in the instrument etc); I always first open the Volume automation track and ‘write’ the actual volume of the track by setting one automation point (1 click) at the very end of the track. This way I can then unable automation, CTRL+click on the fader (sets it to 0dB) and then ‘Render with current settings’, then turn back on automation to read the original level (yes I want the fader on 0dB on ‘render export’). Only that since Cubase 13 it will not read any Volume setting after that. It’s not cool, very frustrating.

Funny enough I found a workaround just now: If you disable the track with the ‘lost’ automation, and then enable the track again, the automation works again too.