Cubase 13 automation (read) bug

Hi, I noticed a problem a few times since upgrading to C13 (on a Win10 PC): after working on a project for a certain amount of time, Cubase suddenly stops reading automation for tracks. For example, I’ll manually move a fader and it won’t snap back to the automated position upon playback. I’m pretty sure the automation suspend function is not on when this happens.

The only workaround I’ve found so far is to close and re-open the project.

I never had this problem on previous versions. Has anyone else noticed something similar since updating to 13? Is this a new weird preference or “feature” that I haven’t set properly?

Update: it seems that using a fader to write at least one node of automation (not drawing it with the mouse), then switching the track back to read mode brings the project back to its normal read behaviour.

Very strange glitch… it’s as if the “automation suspend” gets activated randomly.

If you could create a step-by-step reproduction, assuming it’s not intermittent, that would help so others could try to duplicate this same behavior. Also your system specs would be important.

If you are able to create a reproduction, make sure you go to the automation settings, and give the setting information that controls the number of nodes being created. (sorry I’m out of town and can’t remember the setting.)

Hi Greg,

Sorry for the late reply… the problem is hard to isolate/duplicate because it has mostly been happening on projects that are already rather busy. This is what I’ve got so far:

1. Select a track on which no automation has been recorded yet. (It seems to happen on those tracks in particular.)

2. In STOP mode (when project is not playing back) Manually draw one automation node (with the mouse… I often do that when I want to set a default starting volume for a track, for example). (the bug also sometimes happens when manually adding automation nodes during playback but it’s not as predictable).

3. At this point the fader stops responding to automation (including the node that’s just been added).

4. The only way to resolve this problem is to set the channel to write and record an actual fader movement (with fader or control surface). As a result I then get a chopped off automation curve (as shown in the image):

1. Then I can delete this additional “placeholder” automation, set the track back to read and the fader now responds again to automation.

It’s not a huge problem, especially know that I know this workaround, but it seems quite convoluted compared to my previous experience with Cubase.

Here are screenshots of my automation settings (I’ll admit I still find the different modes a bit confusing, even after many years of using Cubase) (also I’m not sure what you mean exactly by “the setting information that controls the number of nodes being created.”, sorry):

Cubase Auto bug 2
Cubase Auto bug 3

SYSTEM SPECS:
|Processor|Intel(R) Core™ i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.19 GHz|
|Installed RAM|16.0 GB
|Edition|Windows 10 Home|
|Version|22H2|
|OS build|19045.3693|

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

Cubase 13.0.10

I’m also currently using a Behringer X-Touch One surface.

I’ve had the same problem.