Cubase 13 empty Hub, freeze after closing project

Hi all,

I’ve searched around for this, but here’s my particular problem with Cubase Pro 13.0.10 on Windows 10 x64.
I have several projects that I’ve started in 12 Pro that make Cubase 13 freeze after I close them.
The Hub reappears (I’ve disabled news), but it’s empty (no templates are shown) and the program has frozen. Have to kill it in Task Manager.
This happens every time with several projects. When I open and close them in Cubase 12 there’s no crash or freeze.
I’ve reinstalled 13, binned the preferences, all that but still the problem persists.

As these are apparently not crashes as such (although they are :wink: ) there are no .dmp files, but I’ ve enabled user logging, so if anyone wants them, I have a few .json files.

Plus, of course, I’m curious if anyone else has this issue?

Hi,

Generate a DMP file and share it via Dropbox or a similar service, please.

Use the Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, please.

1. Please download ProcDump64 from Microsoft (~650kB) and extract the archive to a local folder on your hard disk.

2. Run Command Prompt (cmd) as administrator (right click and select “run as administrator”)

3. Navigate (in the Command Prompt) to the folder with the extracted procdump file.
    For example:
    cd C:\ Users \ \ Downloads \ Procdump
    Note: the dmp file will be written into that folder.

4. Launch Cubase/Nuendo. You can work as usual. At any time, change to the command prompt and start procdump, to monitor Cubase/Nuendo for unexpected behavior (see next step).

5. Launch procdump64 via Command Prompt:
    Cubase 13:
    procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase13

Nuendo 13:
procdump64 -e -h -t Nuendo13

The -h option will write a dmp file in case of an application hang. This might kick in too early sometimes, in case some action takes a little longer. Feel free to skip the “-h” option, if you are only up for fetching crashes.
The option -e will catch exceptions and the option -t terminations of the application.

1. Prodump is now monitoring the Cubase/Nuendo process and will write a crash log, in case Cubase/Nuendo crashes or hangs. Perform the action that causes Cubase/Nuendo to crash and send us the generated crash dmp.

ZIP and share the DMP file via Dropbox or a similar service, please.

1 Like

I have the same issue here, originally thought it was my USB Elicenser crashing Cubase on exit but I am not even running a dongle now and I’m still having the issue.

1 Like

Hi,

Could you starch the *.ips/dmp file, please?

I have the same issue here, originally thought it was my USB Elicenser crashing Cubase on exit but I am not even running a dongle now and I’m still having the issue

.I hadn’t even thought of that. Good call, shame it didn’t work.

Well, the problem hasn’t gone away with the 13.0.20 update. Hub still freezes after project close. No .dmp file is written. My workaround for now is not to close but to quit Cubase altogether after working on a (C12) project.

@Martin.Jirsak
I haven’t been able to make ProcDump work the way I want because it itself freezes the project. However, I’ve created one file that’ll hopefully shed some light. Also, earlier today, Cubase crashed officially :wink: and created another .dmp

Here they are:
Cubase 13.0.20 64bit 2023.12.12 17.01.37.588-freezedump.dmp (1.4 MB)

Cubase13.exe_231212_162011.dmp.zip (2.4 MB)

Exactly the same problem - I’m sure you used to be able to turn the hub off.

Hi and welcome to the forum,

It suppose to be fied in Cubase 13.0.30. Could you please attach your *.ips/dmp file?

Mac: macOS Console utility > Crash Reports (or ~user/Library/Logs/Diagnostic Reports).
Win: %userprofile%/Documents/Steinberg/Crash Dumps

13.0.30 fixed it for me. I still get the occasional crash, but no freezes or non-responsive Hub anymore.

Hi,

If you want to, you can attach the *.ips/dmp file with the description of your last steps, anytime you want to.

Will do , thank you Martin :+1:

Hi Martin - thank you for the quick response. Here you go, apologies if I’ve bungled the upload.
The crash occurs every time i close a project returning cubase to the hub, it totally freezes (cubase only) and since to force quit cubase bombs out my interfaces - it requires a full restart of my pc to reset.

Cubase 12.0.70.464 64bit 2024.3.14 20.55.00.232.dmp (2.0 MB)

Hi,

Thank yo ufor sharing.

The crash comes from Cubase 12. Are you still in Cubase 12, or do you use Cubase 13, please?

Apologies - I’ve given you the wrong one - I moved back, I’ll get you the 13 log tonight.

The Cubase 12 crash dump seems to be caused by the Ara Service. Do you have some application linked via ARA?

Hi Martin, I’ve just re-created the cubase 13 crash and re-followed your description to the crash dumps folder - but I’ve got no cubase 13 crash dumps there. I can assure you it is Cubase 13 I’m using and the latest version. Could the dumps be anywhere else? Or does it not log it since it’s the hub only?

Hi,

No, they can’t.

Generate a DMP file and share it via Dropbox or a similar service, please.

Use the Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, please.

1. Please download ProcDump64 from Microsoft (~650kB) and extract the archive to a local folder on your hard disk.

2. Run Command Prompt (cmd) as administrator (right click and select “run as administrator”)

3. Navigate (in the Command Prompt) to the folder with the extracted procdump file.
    For example:
    cd C:\ Users \ \ Downloads \ Procdump
    Note: the dmp file will be written into that folder.

4. Launch Cubase/Nuendo. You can work as usual. At any time, change to the command prompt and start procdump, to monitor Cubase/Nuendo for unexpected behaviour (see next step).

5. Launch procdump64 via Command Prompt:
    Cubase 13:
    procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase13

Nuendo 13:
procdump64 -e -h -t Nuendo13

The -h option will write a dmp file in case of an application hang. This might kick in too early sometimes, in case some action takes a little longer. Feel free to skip the “-h” option, if you are only up for fetching crashes.
The option -e will catch exceptions and the option -t terminations of the application.

1. Prodump is now monitoring the Cubase/Nuendo process and will write a crash log, in case Cubase/Nuendo crashes or hangs. Perform the action that causes Cubase/Nuendo to crash and send us the generated crash dmp.

ZIP and share the DMP file via Dropbox or a similar service, please.

Hi Martin,
Thanks for that - Partial success, I have the C13 dump file, but I am prevented from attaching the dropbox link, where would you like me to send it?

Hi,

I have never seen this. Put some symbols in and make a plain text out of it. You can try to remove the whole
http://www.
part, for example. Or you can make a “code” out of the link.