Cubase 13 is crashing when opening the MixConsole

I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

Having been able to do absolutely nothing musically since the release of C13. It’s been more than frustrating.

All my issues are to do with stability. Issues I never had with previous versions.

Hopefully these issues have been addressed?

I’ll report back as soon as I can.

1 Like

Something still very wrong.

If I open a project and open up a full window mix console and run the project C13 just shuts down no crash dump/log.

I can open up the same project and run it from the project window with the mix console tab and meter bridge on screen (bottom and right) The project runs ok no crash or shut down.

If I highlight the midi track with a vst instrument on it The asio guard meter is all over the place. It does this for every vst instrument selected. If I deselect the vst instrument track the asio guard settles to virtually nothing.

I’ve found that if I can manage to render all the vst instruments within the given project without C13 shutting down. The project runs without any glitches what so ever.

It’s manageable, but not ideal for me to render all these instruments.

Any suggestion to try would be great.

As stated in any of my previous posts/replies I’m useless at tech software side of things. Trial and error has only got me this close.

1 Like

C13 after running a further project is now just shutting down no dump/crash file. with no work around.

I’m totally at a loss.

Windows 11 AMD Ryzen 9 64gig mem. Everything up to date.

With no help what so ever seemingly coming from anywhere.

Not sure I want to say this. But I will anyway. Is it time now for me to dump C13/Steinberg after a very lot of years?

Frustrating doesn’t come near to covering the situation.

1 Like

@Neil_Murt, I’m really sorry to hear this. Most probably there is something going wrong on your system. Maybe there is one corrupt plug-in that causes all trouble. Please get in touch with our support team. Maybe they can help you to find out what’s going on on your system.

2 Likes

Brand new system Thunderbolt 3 as well.

Run fine up to C12

1 Like

It sounds like you need to open a thread about this (if you haven’t done so already) and provide as many specific details as possible, OS version, hardware, drivers, plugins, versions of everything, etc… all those little details matter to help track down a problem.

A general suggestion to you (without knowing more details) would be to start a new project and build up track-by-track from there with your plugins, testing meticulously until you observe the problem again. Sometimes it’s just one tiny little culprit that is causing all the headaches… it could be anything. I’ve been there before with different DAWs and plugins over many years. Sometimes it’s a real pain to find the specific problem. Hope you can get to the bottom of it.

The key to getting a real solution is achieving a reproducible recipe that other people can follow to get the same behavior that you do… and then it’s something that Steinberg or a plugin developer is much more likely to fix. Good luck.

1 Like

Thank you.

I’ve just shut it all down. I’m taking quite a lot of time off (to calm down). I’m quite sure you will understand.

Everything about it (shut downs) is random.

I’m not in the best health to chase these things down. Perhaps if I manage to calm down I’ll re visit all this again.

I’ve done all you suggested, in the past, since this situation started and gave me no answer.

So grateful for any comments and suggestions just in case I’ve missed anything.

If you have proper backups and if everything else fails you could try resetting Steinberg Preferences.
Also make sure all system drivers are updated and properly adjusted for your system. There is a ton of little tiny options in Bios, Win and AMD that can ruin your day.

Whatever you do just don’t give up.

1 Like

I’ve got backups going quite a bit back in time. I think from C8 but can’t confirm until I check’

One thing I have noticed. If I save an old project fromC11 into C13 it will crash C11.

So I’m not willing to update anymore projects. Until I can secure all these backups in their original form eg. C8 C9 C11 C12 etc.

A project saved in C11 will cause me no problem with version C11 But they all need bringing up to date (modernized).

Thank you for all suggestions.

Also check VST versions of your plugins in your projects. These plugins might be the main problem. VST2 is old standard and is not supported properly in Cubase 13.

1 Like

Where did you learn that?
Here is a link to a Steinberg FAQ. First entry answers the question.

I’m all vst3.

Even Stock vst instruments are behaving like all my vst’s.

I only use Superior Drummer 3, Amplesound 3 Guitars/bases, Spectrasonics Trillian and Omnisphere, and reason Rack Plugin in Cubase (5 plugins at most. Sometimes Kontakt, but they’re all up to the latest. I check before opening every session.

Yes, your health is the most important thing! These kinds of things can be incredibly frustrating, and I’ve experienced many stressful times due to some issues like you describe. Taking a break from it and starting with a fresh mind can help.

In the past, when I’ve run up against a persistent but very difficult-to-diagnose problem, this is precisely what I do:

1. I first start a fresh new project from scratch as I described above, building it out track-by-track until I can see the problem again…
  2. I then create a minimal recipe that is reproduceable, and see if someone else on a different system can get the same problem to happen. If so, then I report our findings to the DAW developer and/or plugin developer with great detail. If I give them a super-simple reproduceable recipe to follow that will cause the problem every time, I usually will get a good response from the developer. And if I’m lucky, I will get a workaround or maybe even a patch. (BTW, side note: this approach has resulted in me being invited to be a beta tester for many of the major DAW develolpers and many plugin developers over the years, which I no longer do, because beta testing is not enjoyable to me any more. But if you write a truly great bug report, expect to be invited to be a beta tester at some point.)
  3. If 1 and 2 don’t work, and I’ve been extremely patient and scientific about my approach, and I can’t get help in the forum or from a developer, and it is STILL a pernicious problem that is very hard to reproduce, then I turn to hardware troubleshooting. In decades of dealing with things like this, I’ve found that hardware or some system-level device or driver are quite often the problem, after I’ve exhausted the other angles.
  4. If necessary, I do a full hardware diagnosis, from the ground up, from testing the RAM, drives, etc… it’s a real pain in the neck, but I make sure the hardware is 100% solid.
  5. If necessary, I will then do a complete system wipe, and if I’m using a PC (as opposed to a Mac), I will also update the BIOS, reset the BIOS to factory settings, disable all overclocking if I had done that before, disable all motherboard devices that don’t need to be activated such as built-in wifi adapters, etc. – in other words, get a very conservative, clean hardware config. Then I’d run hardware diagnostics on the machine again, including RAM tests, stress tests, etc. If on Apple, I’d run the Apple diagnostics, etc…
  6. Once I’m satisfied with step #5, and the hardware is solid, I then do a fresh OS installation, do all the security updates, with a minimal, clean config, optimized for DAW usage only, and get the system to a very clean and solid state. The steps are different for Windows vs MacOS vs Linux.
  7. Then, I would install my essential driver(s) such as audio device(s), etc.
  8. Then, I install my primary DAW software with nothing else. (i.e. in this case, JUST Cubase by itself)
  9. Then, I test the hell out of the primary DAW on my super-clean system. No extra plugins… nothing but the main DAW.
  10. Once I’m certain it is very stable, I then proceed to carefully add my most important plugins, one developer at a time, and test each batch of plugins for stability. Test, test, test. Be methodical and scientific.
  11. Finally, the DAW is ready for production! Celebrate!
  12. If at any time in the process above I notice a problem or bug, I stop installing anything else, and I try to create a repeatable recipe (step #2 above)… and go from there.
  13. And BTW, I NEVER install anything else on my DAW computers except DAW-related software, unless I want to invite more potential problems into my life.
  14. Once a DAW is production-ready, I don’t tamper with it except for needed security updates, and I always defer major OS updates so that I’m not a beta tester any more. I am also very conservative with any major software patches/releases and wait a bit until other people have already gone through the potential headaches.

That’s my process, which has served me well for many DAW builds over many years, on Windows, MacOS, and Linux, and why I generally don’t have a fraction of the problems that other people seem to have.

Good luck with your issues!

And yes, take some time off and get your stress levels down. But don’t give up hope. There is a solution somewhere, but it could be a long process to find it, if it’s something difficult to reproduce.

8 Likes

VST2 is for now still supported in Cubase 13 but old VST2 plugins may not work properly in Cubase 13.
Pardon my Tarzan English.

Where did you learn that?
I think you might be thinking of 32-bit plugins vs 64-bit plugins. 32-bit plugins are indeed not supported any longer.

Actual LOL!
:laughing:

Only vst2.4 is still supported (for year and years) older vst’s can be 2.3 or older and do cause problems. I guess that is what is meant.

Thanks for that list.

I hope you don’t mind and it’s not against the rules of the forum. I’ve copied your list to read and go through later in case there’s something on there I’ve not tried.

When I’ve calmed down I’m going to have to get stuck into rendering all the vst’s out. It’s now the only sure fireproof way of saving these TUNES.

If I come across the answer I will pass it on in the hope that it well help others.

1 Like

VST 2.4 was released in 2006 and introduced 64-bit processing. That is the difference.
I’m actually a bit surprised that VST 2 is still supported in Cubase 13. I don’t think that was the plan originally.

Just a FYI, you can bridge vst2.4 32 bit plugins using jbridge, as a rule without any issues. That is not the case with older 32 bit vsts.
Which is brilliant if you own and like spectral delay by NI for example. No need to bridge 64 bit VST2.4 of course.

1 Like

My 2003 Spectrasonics Trilogy is 32bit and, I think, vst2.00, not 2.4 It bridges fine for Cubase13 via jbridge.