Cubase (13) Long-time Bug: Saving with Long Path, error says project corrupted

Windows 10.

In Cubase 13 I tried to save a project, which has a long path string, with a few characters more in the file name than the current project file has. Cubase responded that ‘the project couldn’t be saved because it is corrupted’.

That is obviously false since I can save it with a shorter name.

This error message should be fixed to correctly report the real reason why the file cannot be saved (path/filename too long), as it looks like from other posts I found that others have had confusion over this, even back to Cubase 6.

Hi,

How long is the path, please? How many characters?

Are you sure it’s on Cubase side? Isn’t it Windows limitation by any chance?

This is the path:

I:\Learning\Mixing\Pro Mix Academy\Producing Prog Metal with Glenn Fricker\Producing+Prog+Metal+with+Glenn+Fricker+[Song+232+Project+Export]\Producing Prog Rock with Glenn Fricker [Song 232 Project Export]\Song 232 Full Project\Song 232 Cubase\Song 232 xx.cpr

That’s 260 characters from start to end.

That is the longest path and file name I can save. If I add another ‘x’ to the filename Cubase responds with the incorrect corrupted file message.

And yes, Windows has a path length limit, but it returns an error code for that specific error, which Cubase should be using.

https://www.itprotoday.com/windows-10/enable-long-file-name-support-windows-10

Blockquote In the past, the maximum supported file length was 260 characters (256 usable after the drive characters and termination character). In Windows 10, you can enable long file name support, which allows file names up to 32,767 characters (although you lose a few characters for mandatory characters that are part of the name).

1. Start the registry editor (regedit.exe)
  2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem
  3. Double-click LongPathsEnabled
  4. Set to 1 and click OK
  5. Reboot

Might work.

1 Like

Thanks. That’s good to know, but won’t prevent the confusion caused by the erroneous Cubase message.

1 Like