Cubase 13 Score Editor: scrolling through pages

I am attempting to use a larger score, and am having a problem scrolling to the very end of the score. If I select the auto scroll function as the tracks are being played; I can see the score, but how do you “page up and page down” through a score? I have read the documentation, and see that you can click on the little square in “page mode”, but this is not working properly? Please let me know if there is a method to do this? I am thinking there has to be… Thank you

Even though I’m not sure I understand what you’re having trouble with, I’ll try to give you a reply.

Tip number 1
  1. Activate “Page Mode”, then go to “Auto Layout…”.

2. Tick “Optimize All”, then click “OK”.

Tip number 2
  1. Go to Scores > Settings…
  2. Click on the Layout tab and set the size to about 70 %, then click “Apply”.
    I’m suggesting this because you mentioned “larger score”, so if it’s “larger”, then the score must contain large systems (grand staves), with a lot of staves, and—because of this—they might not fit the page.

I used the Score Editor a lot and I’m sure I can help you with your problem, but I first must understand what exactly the problem is. Can you please make an effort and describe the problem more clearly?

1 Like

How do you edit a score that has multiple pages in the Score editor?

With the Score Editor in Cubase 13 I have found this to be difficult.

As an example, let us assume that Measures 1-50 are on the screen and I can edit them, but suppose I want to edit measure 75?

I have found one work around:
If I go out of the score editor, and put the cursor in the Cubase project to the measure I want to edit then refresh the score editor.

In short, I don’t see any scroll bars or navigational guides to help edit a larger score. Perhaps there is some setting that is not on by default?

Thank you for your help.

Thank you alin89c for your input.

I just reviewed the great provided tips, and judging by what you are saying the Score Editor is designed to be one page? Given the example of reducing the viewing size to 70%.
My issue is more about a need to “edit/modify” a large score and less about formatting the pages.

I appreciate your assistance

I think I’m beginning to understand what you mean, and I hope that by “refreshing the score editor” you mean pressing the “F” key twice.

Ok, so if you have a large score, then you absolutely need to have Project Markers (a Marker Track). After adding markers, you can move the Project Cursor to the next or previous marker using “SHIFT + B” / “SHIFT + N” (provided you have “Auto-Scroll” enabled).

Also, you must use “SHIFT + -” and “SHIFT + =” to move the Project Cursor forward or backward one bar, because scrolling is very tedious, especially if you use a Mac.

The best practice is to learn to switch between the Project Window and the Score Editor (and to press the “F” key twice). “PG UP” and “PG DN” commands) can also be helpful.

If there’s something you didn’t understand, please ask.

1 Like

alin89c,
Thank you for your answer.
You have confirmed my conclusions.

In short, there is “currently NO way to edit/navigate through a larger score without externally controlling where the Cubase cursors happen to be located…”

I really like the Cubase score editor, but it does have some limitations. That being said, I am happy about what it can do!!

Thank you very much for helping.

I wouldn’t say “NO way”, because you can navigate with PG UP / PG DN buttons, or by scrolling with your mouse/trackpad, or by nudging the Project Cursor (using the keyboard commands)…

Anyway, you’re welcome! Happy scoring!

Hey alin89c/pjefferson98 - I’m glad I found your thread, as I think I’m having a similar issue and, if I’m not mistaken, perhaps provide a little more clarity on what (maybe) we are looking to do!

For me, this is mainly an adjustment issue, coming from notation software (I’ve been a Dorico user for several years) or Logic, whose score editor I’m pretty familiar with.

I think that what we’re looking for is the ability to edit the score in a similar fashion to how we would in notation software. For me, I desire the ability to see more than one page on the score editor window at a time. I can’t find a way to do this, and I can’t find any documentation which answers that question.

Let me post up a picture here for comparison so you can see what I mean:

As you can see, opening the same project in Dorico (exported midi file from Cubase) allows me to see both pages at once, but opening it in Cubase only allows me to see one page. In order to see any other pages I then have to scroll with my mouse, which just personally messes with my workflow.

Seeing as you appear to be quite familiar with the layout of the score editor, hopefully you can let us know if this is possible. If not, I’ll have to continue doing my composing within Cubase and then exporting to Dorico for engraving purposes. My hope is that I can figure out a workaround here for this so that I can aim to keep all of my work inside of one program instead of having to switch back and forth!

1 Like

I’m afraid it’s not possible to display more than one page at a time. But why do you need to have multiple pages open?

It’s a big picture thing. I am a composer, but I started my journey as a player and then a conductor, so I really value being able to see my entire score at a glance in such a way.

Your entire score is usually 2 pages long?

Well no, that’s just a small chorale type thing I wrote up for a quick demonstration. Often I’m working with scores that are 20-50 pages, depending on what I’m writing

But see on the Dorico page how they are side by side, and each page additionally would add on to the end of that, allowing me to scroll through the score much easier and allowing me to have an easier “big picture” sort of view

1 Like

crodriquenz,

Thank you, for your illustration of this. You do have the same problem. I am also accustomed to using other notation software; where I can edit an entire score without an issue. I really like Cubase and the Score editor, but am working around its shortcomings by using Music XML to import and export from my other Notation Software.

This is pretty much the workflow that I use at the moment. I will use Cubase for my composition, using the DAW as my creative medium while just writing the music, and then I’ll export the MXML or MIDI from Cubase to work with in Dorico for scoring/engraving purposes. Kind of a hitch in the system, but from what I understand for other posts that I’ve made it seems like at least at some point in the future (likely Cubase Pro 15-16ish) there will be tighter onboard integration between the two - or at least a massive upgrade to the Score Editor that will make it function closer to a traditional notation program. Can’t wait until that day comes!

The Score Editor is a beast exactly because it doesn’t work like a traditional notation program (at least that’s the bigger picture of it). The essence of this functionality should be further developed, not trying to bring features that traditional notation software have (e.g. copying other software’s method of doing things)…

1 Like

Well I think each user probably has their own use case for each specific implementation within both Cubase and Dorico, but luckily for us Cubase and Dorico are both made by Steinberg - therefore there isn’t so much copying what another program is doing as there is just porting over the successes that another program sees in order to make the score editor more functional.

Understandably there are people who use the score editor as is and have their own degrees of success with it, but as someone who writes music which primarily needs to function as notation at some point in time, there are things that I don’t want to have to sacrifice. For example, the notation program’s ability to view the entire score at the same time, or step input for moments when recording individual parts is not necessary.
For those of you that use the score editor as it currently sits, I’m sure you would find it to be more intuitive and easy to use with a few upgrades related to Dorico’s methods, without Cubase having to fully integrate it - that being said, there are many of us who would likely have our workflows significantly streamlined if the score editor was more intuitive and functional than it is in its current state.