Cubase 4 not syncing with RME DIGI9652

I’ve been trying to get cubase 4 to sync with my project Hammerfall DIGI9652 and 2 ADATS. I am running Windows 7 32 bit. I have synced many times before but it has been about a year since I did this last and I may have updated Cubase 4 to 4.5.2 in the meantime (not sure)

I am using Cubase 4.5.2 build 274. I have transfered from ADATS many times in the past to Cubase 4 and have not had this problem.

The RME DIGI control panel syncs to the ADATS and the time code is also syncing up.

Cubase is set to the ASIO DIGI9636/52 driver uner “VST Audio System” and All Cubase RME inputs and outputs are active. Cubase will record on internal sync (not with ADATs synced) but will not record when the sync is switched to external.

On the transport bar in Cubase, when sync is switched to external the sync status shows idle even when the the ADATs are running. The time code window in the transport bar is showing what’s on the ADAT’s and will follow the ADATS as they are running. But the external sync still shows idle so I’m assuming Cubase is not syncing properly and will not go into record mode.

I have reseated the rme card in my computer, changed out all the cables, optical and ADAT 9 pin. I have also spent a considerable amount of time looking at the RME and Cubase forums.

I’m probably missing something simple.

Any help or direction you could give me would be great.