Cubase 4 (yes really) and Windows 10

Hey everyone!

I am in the process of trying to upgrade my dear old dad’s workstation, which is no doubt going to come with Windows 10. However, he is at the point where the thought of upgrading Cubase to a newer version than the one he is used to fills him with existential dread. Can anyone confirm if Cubase 4 is compatible with Windows 10? Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

I am using Cubase LE 4 on a Windows 10 machine, but periodically am getting the dreaded “Display driver stopped responding and recovered” error. This is a brand new HP Envy machine, so I’m doubtful the driver is old. Tried increasing Tdr Delay in the registry, but that hasn’t helped. I wonder if anyone knows the upgrade path so maybe I can get something more compatible?

Hello,

would you have any news how to install cubase 4 on win10 ?

many thanks in advance

Yes it’s compatible. I am running Cubase 4.3 on Windows 10. Just be sure you run it in compatibility mode for XP Service Pack 3. Also kill a number of services behind the scenes like Indexing (Windows Search), Windows Update (Make it manual) and kill any other audio drivers not being used by the workstation except the audio interface being used exclusively for Cubase. Cubase as with all audio multitrack software just records wav files with an editor + some virtual interfaces. I see no reason to upgrade at all. Another thing, be sure you use an SSD for your primary OS partition and use a secondary drive for recording. The recording can be a spinning SATA drive, but just be sure read write speed is somewhat faster.

1 Like