Cubase 5 to 10?

Yeah, I’m one of “those guys”. I’ve been a bit out of touch with the latest and greatest. But I have been making music all along. Just with old tools (maybe I’m an old tool…). :smiley:

With that said, I want to upgrade to Cubase 10. With so much time and so many changes in between versions:

1. What issues can I expect on initial set-up? Will my plugins be immediately available or will I have to move/rename folders, etc?

2. I will most likely not be bringing up old projects from 5, but what if I do? What should I expect in the way of issues? Just the typical plugin compatibility stuff?

I’ve upgraded my hardware, so I don’t think that will be an issue.

Sorry for the noobish post and questions. Any help is much appreciated.

I’m in the same boat and would like to know this too.

also, does the upgrade simply over write the older versions? and what does it do to licence on the dongle?

Hi,

If you were using 32-bit plug-ins, then your plug-ins will not be loaded in 64-bit environment. Otherwise you should meet any problems.

Your Cubase preferences will not be ported form Cubase 5 to Cubase 10.

I’m pretty sure we can keep our old version intact. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Hi,

Cubase 5 and Cubase 10 are two independent executables. So you will have both applications installed side by side.

The license will be upgraded to Cubase 10 license. So in you eLCC you will see Cubase 10 license only. But you can start your Cubase 5 with the Cubase 10 license too.

Great, thanks for response.

So in that case, what happens with 3rd party plugins/VSTi’s etc, do we need to set C10 to these 3rd party folders etc, or would C10 installation look at C5’s existing folders and copy them?

(I had a bit of grief at last reinstall of C5 with UAD plugs and EZDrummer which took me a wee while to sort.)

Hi,

Cubase 10 doesn’t inherit a preferences from Cubase 5 (it’s too far, Cubase is inheriting only 2 major versions backwards).

So you have to set the plug-in paths (and all your preferences) again in Cubase 10.

I’m also still using Cubase 5. One thing that drives me mental in 5 is whenever I drag a piece of audio so that it happens to extend off the end of the part it is inside, a popup appears asking if I would like to extend the part. I have never, ever wanted to extend the part so I would like to disable that popup as it consistently disrupts my workflow (a tiny but annoying bit!) but as far as I can tell there is no way to do so. Anyone know if this popup still exists in more recent Cubase versions, and can you now disable it?

I will give you a quick setup suggestion, if you are using version 5 but the 32 bit version, not 64 bit version.

Quick solution
Buy jBridge and jBridge all of your 32bit plugins to a new folder location and add that folder location under VSTplugin paths in the plugin manager. Then everything will most likely work as usual.

The longer solution is (better but more time consuming)
Update every plugin to 64 bit and old use jBridge for discontinued plugins that only have 32bit versions. This will give you a lot more processing power and increase stability

The trick I have found is, if using jBridge, don’t mix up jBridge plugins inside the folder of true 64 bit plugins, make a separate folder for them. This way it is easier to keep track of which plugins you have updated and eventually get to the point where there are no or very few jBridged plugins left. This is of course optional but it helped me get rid of most of the 32bit plugins over time.