[Cubase 6.5] 32-bit and 64-bit version on same machine?

Quick question… I’ve been happily running the 32 bit version of Cubase 6.5 (on 64-bit Windows 7 Pro). Now I’d like to test the 64-bit version. Can I install the 64 bit version of Cubase 6.5 without upsetting my 32-bit install in any way? I use the 32 bit version with clients, etc. and want to keep it unmolested and pristine.

And come to think of it… is there a download link for the latest/greatest 64 bit version of Cubase 6.5? I logged into MySteinberg account and can’t find it. Where do I get the 64 bit version?

Aj

Bumping this… anyone running both 32-bit and 64-bit C6.5? That is, installed in the same Windows partition? Do they conflict or interfere with each other at all?

I have both Cubase 6.5 and Cubase 7 (32 and 64 bit versions) installed on the same partition and all run fine.

Ah, good news… thanks for the reply. So just to be clear - you don’t have any problems with the 64-bit install interfering with your plug-ins, prefs, etc. in the 32 bit install? They work/behave completely separately and don’t share file structure, .ini files, etc.?

Also still can’t find a copy of 64 bit C6.5 to download (in MySteinberg, etc) - would appreciate a link from anyone who knows where to find it.

Aj

@A.j.: As far as I know, all is good. Certain Steinberg VST2.x plugins (monologue and one or two others) were removed from Cubase 7. So, if you have both C6 and C7,and you want to use them, simply copy the DLLs from the C6 install directory.

If you search in the C7 sub-forum, you should be able to find the post that mentions it.

Best,
:Miki.

Sounds good… I’m not on C7 yet (I tend to wait til .5 releases before upgrading). My biggest worry is installing 64 bit C6.5 and it messing up my 32-bit C6.5 - and somehow preventing existing 32-bit projects from working right.

Sounds like this isn’t an issue though. Still looking to find that copy of 64 bit 6.5 though! I should be able to download it, right? Anyone?

As far as I know, it is the same installer. Just run it on a 64 bit OS and you will be prompted with 32 and 64 bits options.

While Cubase 32 & 64 will both co-exist nicely on the same computer you will want to look out for problems with 32-bit only plugs running in Cubase-64. In theory they can work and the consensus seems to be that J-Bridge runs them much better than the bridge built into Cubase. But I just disable them all and if by chance want to use a 32-bit plug run it in Cubase-32, print the effect and import that into Cubase-64.

Thanks everyone… will try installing this weekend. Much appreciated.

How did it work out for you AJ? I’m totally missing my free 32bit plugins.

VSTBridge is a crashfest :imp:

Funny, from the very people that created the VST, smh.

@raino: So true. I bought Jbridge so I wouldn’t have any problems with 32 bit / 64 bit plugins. Jbridge works great, btw.

The other thing you have to watch for is VSTs created with earlier versions of Synthedit and Multi-core processing.
A quick fix is to turn off Multi-core processing in the System panel. Newer versions of Synthedit have fixed the problem, but it’s up to the individual VST developer to recompile His/Her project.

:Miki

P.S.: There’s a 64 bit version of Synthedit supposedly in beta right now. I can’t wait to see how that goes. :slight_smile:

I just wanted to confirm that C6 32bit and 64bit does work ok on the same HD without any noticeable glitches.

Thank you all for your suggestions.