Cubase 6.5.5 hangs on exit in Win7 64 bit (SOLVED)

When I exit Cubase 6.5 64bit it hangs and won’t shut down. With a fresh install of Win 7 64bit it worked fine. I tested it after each new program install (Cubase 6.5 retail disk, Eastwest Play 4.18, Slate VTM etc.) to rule out 3rd party conflicts and it worked and shut down fine (after a slight delay, usually).

Suddenly last night, it decided to stop shutting down again and I am forced to quit the program from the task manager.
I have also tried installing each update since 6.5 retail disk, to 6.5.5, but none of the updates effect this issue.

This happened before with fresh install of Win7 64bit a few days ago, and the only thing that solved it was another fresh install of Win7.

It appears that there is a conflict that is introduced in Windows update, possibly with .NET Framework 4.5 and one of it’s million updates.

This issue wasn’t present at all in Win8.1 running all of the same software (but there were a few other stability issues that motivated me go back to Win7).

This is very frustrating, as I have spent 4 days now trying to get Cubase 6.5 to work properly with Win7. It is killing my creativity.

OK!

I am very glad to be able to tell you that I was able to solve this issue, and hopefully this will help some of you as well.

The problem stemmed from a conflict between Cubase and Nvidia graphics drivers. Specifically ‘Geforce Experience’ which is a background application that automatically keeps your graphics drivers up to date and optimises games according to your hardware configuration.

My videocard is the GTX760 2GB, but most fairly modern Nvidia cards use this software now.

I rolled back the drivers to version 331.82 from 337(.something) and chose only to install the graphics driver, Nvidia Physx (hardware accelerated physics for games) and the HD audio driver (for gaming through an HDTV via HDMI).

The hang on exit is now gone! Phew! Hope that this helps some other poor souls that are tortured by this issue!

Thanks for posting this!
It helped a lot. I uninstalled my nvidia driver (340.something) and now Cubase does close as expected!
Only question left: How can one find out which is the latest nvidia driver that DOES NOT CONFLICT with CUBASE?!?!

Thaks again :wink: :smiley:

(Wonder why support cannot help with this kind of issues and do not respond for 4 weeks) :cry: :blush: