Cubase 6.5 DM4800 Setup

Wow! I haven’t been on in a while so thank you all for your responses! There is a lot of good info here and I will do some serious tinkering with it this week!

So now I don’t see how to route to the studio outputs, where do I assign the tracks and control the individual levels of each for the separate mixes?

You can select the source of the “studio output” in DM’s MONITOR screen.

I had an extremely frustrating day trying t record today. I had multiple channels just stop working. I can see the mic input in the DM but it just stops working in Cubase.

I can see it in the meter on the DM so I know the mics and cables are good, it just stops working in Cubase. I move to another channel and sometimes it stays working and sometimes it does not.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated,

I had once a similar experience. One audio channel from Cubase to DM just didn’t work. Spent hours to locate the problem (thought, I had messed routing in DM or something in Cubase), then finally rebooted my DM and problem was gone.

I did a firmware update then reloaded the backed up config. All is well.

Would you please eplain to me how to route returns 1-2 to the AUX out? I can figure it out also how to route the AUX retuns to 25-29 input so I can use external pre-amps.

and thank you for all the help

Robert

Are you asking how to route FireWire card’s INPUTS (returns from Cubase) to ASSIGNABLE OUTs? (Not 100% sure what you’re asking, because your terminology isn’t exactly clear and with a complex digital routing machine like DM it’s important to identify exactly what you are after.)

If this is the case:

1. Go to ROUTING/OUTPUT
  2. Select “ASN SEND” as your TERMINAL with POD3
  3. Select “INPUT BYPASS - SLOT1” (or SLOT3, if that’s the slot you have your FW card in) as your SOURCE with POD4
  4. Highlite “ASN SEND 1” with cursor keys
  5. Select “SLOT1 Trk 1” with JOG WHEEL
  6. Hit ENTER
  7. Repeat 4 to 6 (but with “ASN SEND 2” and “SLOT1 Trk 2”)

Again … I’m assuming you meant ASSIGNABLE RETURNs when you say “AUX returns”. Very similar task: This time go to ROUTING/OUTPUT SLOT, select “SLOT1 TrkX” (X here is your FW channel) as your TERMINAL and ASN RTNY (Y here is your ASSIGNABLE RETURN #) as your SOURCE

I finally had some time yesterday to sit down and work on things in my studio, You are exactly right, this is what I was looking for.

Question, where is this config info saved, in the “project” or “Library”, I am unclear on the difference. I saved both :wink:

Thanks again for all the help.

also have you had any issues with TMC running? I an running windows 7 64 bit. The TMC software launches correctly about 20% of the time. The rest of the time I see the process in task manager but no window.

Any thoughts ?

Starting up TMC is the first thing I do, and then I keep it open. If I wait till after starting Cubase, I can’t get TMC to run anymore…

I have tried that, many times. I have reinstalled it, etc…

are you running it in compatabilty mode?

I don’t think I am, but it’s been awhile… I have version 1.50 installed (release 77107), although the installer was labelled as 1.60. 1.50 should be the latest for Windows though, since 1.60 only adressed Mac Leopard compatibility. I must add that sometimes TMC won’t start correctly, but trying a second time it usually works.

I think it may be hyper-threading that is causing my problem.

I dont want to risk the performance hit so I will pass on TMCompaion for now I guess

Interesting, cause I also have hyperthreading on in my machine. Anyway, I wouldn’t want to go without TMC, cause I need the mixer scenes backup and reload feature (and the meter bridge screen).

I really want to use it as well, TASCAM tech support had nothing, it simply does not want to run on my system.

I really want to use the meter bridge functionality. I am a drummer, and the LCD is hard to see sitting on my kit.

I have dual boot system, the tech thinks that may be it, I don’t buy that, the application has no idea its dual boot.

JARNO, I have an issue here. I am currently using CUBASE 5, and for the time being, I have some questions about how to setup multiple monitors for my controlroom. I am using the SLX AUDIO 808 ( 1 pair) monitor, 2x125W, and a sub, SLX AUDIO 10S. My monitor setup is like this:

LEFT-RIGHT Output on the SUB-speaker, and one INPUT to each of the paired speakers ( 808). From the TASCAM DM4800 I have LEFT / RIGHT STUDIO OUT to TRS INPUT ( LEFT / RIGHT) back to the SUB. But, firstly, when I kindof “brigde”-connect the paired speakers with the Sub, the volum of the 125W speakers will not be so loud as if they were connected alone…So, is that due to that they are connected thru the Sub, and the Sub is like running “the Show”?
Then my 2nd question is, can I assign the Sub to one AUX, and the paired to two other AUX’es, so I can get a more powerful sound, and could I also connect one more pair of speakers and assign them as well? Cuz then I will be having one pair of 75 W speakers, and one pair of 125W speakers, plus the Sub on 175W running together at the same time…And, in case, in what way may you suggest to me, Jarno? Or anyone else…? Cuz, I have seen other screenshots that they have like two pairs of speakers( maybe more) aside on their desks…PS! Is assignable sends/returns the same as AUX in analog mixers??

Now that I have assignable return 1 return routed to channel 25 input. How do I control it so that I can send it directly to the stereo buss for direct monitoring?

Analwaysys, thank you for the help.

Still havent been able to figure this one out. I am using insert on 24 for now. Any thoghts on how to control it the other way?

Hey mandelbaum…
I did contact Tascam support about signing outputs from PC FireWire to mixer outputs.
And i got a quick reply - have not have time to try the reply solution yet…
This is the address i used:

I just bought the DM-4800 and try to learn how they (Tascam) think when program ins and outs…
Not a easy way for all to understand.

Good luck, and please send some words if you find a solution.

Regards
Pax Greger

Your DM is a compex system. It’s basically a huge input/output programmable digital patch bay with a mixing console somewhere between those inputs and outputs. Not an easy beast to master, but incredibly versatile piece of equipment once you figure it out.

For detailed questions about you DM, please visit: http://www.tascamforums.com/