Cubase 6.5 the fastest and trouble-free Cubase?

Do you think Cubase 6.5 was the fastest and most crash-free version of all times?

• YES, exactly!! Steinberg should just add the new features to that version without touching anything else!
  • NO. In my experience, Cubase 7, 7.5 and pro 8 is as stable and fast as 6.5.

0 voters

I sometimes revisit the good old Cubase 6.5. :unamused:

I know it lacks the latest very cool features, but I think it has got speed and reliability!!!

Yeah 6.5 was hot. 7.5, for me, is the ā€œmatureā€ release.

6 Crashed all the time for me - freezes, BSOD you name it. It was a great relief to work with 7 as I have not had any of that dramatic stuff since. Actually 8 has not crashed for me either. Despite the click issue I have wasted less time with stability issues than I ever did in 6 & 6.5.

Cubase 6.5 is almost perfect here, fast, super stable and trouble free. Cubase 7 was regular, and 7.5 was ā€œonlyā€ good.

Historically, it could be argued that Cubase 6.5.x was/is so good, because you have to look at where it came from. It took around 6 years of constant development and improvement to get to where it ended up (from the release of the then ā€˜brand newā€™ Cubase 4 codebase, 2006). July 2013 was when the final C6.5.5 shipped.

Compare to:-

• Cubase 7 series, the next new ā€˜major shiftā€™ architecturally, took around a couple of years to get to where it was broadly considered ā€˜rock solidā€™, ā€˜stableā€™, ā€˜reliableā€™, in the marketplace etc, etcā€¦

• Cubase 8 (building on the C7 series code), with its audio engine re-write, PC windows management/handling improvements (never before tackled) and other stuff, has been with us barely 8 weeks/40 working days, minus the Xmas/New Year holiday period.

My point.? Give it another year or so before Cubase 8.x.x is as worthy as or valid of being talked about/remembered/cherished/relied upon, as fondly as C6.x.x

IMO

Bob

PS:- having said all that, Iā€™m perfectly happy at 7.5 and have no need for C6 any more; another update I reckon, before the move proper to C8 for me.

Sorry, but your poll sucks. How can throw Cubase 7 , 7.5. and 8 into the same pot ?

7 sucked
7.5. is decent
8 sucks

site note: I will never buy a release below .5

+1

In my case, going from 6.07 to 8.05 has improved performance considerably, thanks to ASIO Guard, which solved low latency crackling issues I had with some instruments. Much better for my situation. Thereā€™s no button for ā€œ8.0 betterā€.

Given that I think that 6 and 6.5 were awful experiences for me, logically I should then say that your opinion sucks. Which of course I am not!!! Only by implication, and then only by accident. :laughing:
However, it is more complicated than that. Something about my system did not like 6.xx and yet was ok with 7 and 8. God knows what that was,because I donā€™t.
A lot of the stuff we see on the forum is the result of system incompatibilities. If we canā€™t police our systems how on earth can SB?

For most people I would say that all these versions worked fine. The only people complaining are a relatively small number of people on this forum. Why should that be?

A lot of it is to do with third party applications like Slate that for some reason are falling foul of the changes in 8. Some of it is possibly due to the endless upgrading over the top of previous installs and as a result errors start creeping in. Some of it is users experimenting with all kinds of, ahemā€¦ unofficial solutions in an effort to solve an issue. Some of it is running a system that is not man enough for the taskā€¦not enough memoryā€¦too slow a cpuā€¦old graphic card/sound card drivers.

That is not to say that there are not problems with 8. I was serious when I said that I lose less time dealing with stability issues in the current version. 6 was a total nightmare for me, so it is strange and illogical to hear other users sing itā€™s praises.

Something about my system did not like 6.xx and yet was ok with 7 and 8.

ā€¦and something about my system liked 6.xx and 7.xx but did not like 8. :slight_smile: The new Asio guard halts my system unexpectedly and frequently and I have projects that wonā€™t open.

As you said, there are infinite combination of configurations (windows side I mean), so itā€™s a real difficult task to make everyone happy.

I am feeling that I jumped too quickly on this X99 + DDR4 craziness, thatā€™s a new thing maybe Steinberg didnā€™t test much.

Definitelyā€¦6.5 with all the new stuffā€¦theyā€™ll never do it, this last release showed the contempt they have for itā€™s customer baseā€¦money comes firstā€¦yeah, i know itā€™s ā€˜ā€˜businessā€™ā€™ ā€¦but looking after your customers is a pre requisite in my bookā€¦

Is it just me, or the new features donā€™t really outweigh the number of issues a lot of people seem to be having?

I guess I have to consider myself one of the ā€œlucky onesā€ since C8 seems to be running fairly stable on my machine but I am seriously underwhelmed by the new features, even more so about the fact that I donā€™t like the direction SB is taking since C7. I still havenā€™t made my peace with the fact that I have to work with the new annoying mixer when there was literally nothing wrong with the 6.5 mixer. Why did they change it? Did anybody ask them to?

Letā€™s recap (from the SB whatā€™s new in C8 page):

1. Performance boost for more instruments, more tracks and shorter loading/saving times.
    ----I donā€™t really see much of an improvement between 8 and 7.5, and I know I am not alone on this one. In the few tests that Iā€™ve ran, 8 seemed 1-3% faster.
    ā€œDuring development, we set up pretty ambitious target benchmarks, and the results speak for themselves.ā€
    I am afraid they donā€™t.

2. VCA faders* for complex mixing and automation workflows
    ----Incomplete and poorly implemented. Since the only reason to use a VCA fader over a group fader are the sends, why not simply add the VCA functionality as an option to the group channels?

3. Render in-place: Bounce MIDI and audio parts easily
    ----Incomplete and poorly implemented.

4. Chord pads: A great way to playfully and creatively compose with chords
    ----hmmm, ok, Iā€™ll never use this but others might. The question is, how was this a priority over the long list of features and bug fixes that users have been asking for for quite a while now?

5. Improved windows handling on PC, dockable rack and MediaBay plus a redesigned Track List
    ----This is one very sad joke. Apart from the fact that the new window handling is embarrassing, poorly implemented and buggy, I donā€™t think anybody has actually asked for it.

6. Groove Agent SE 4 Acoustic Agent gives you a world-class virtual acoustic drummer
    ----Whatever. Not saying itā€™s a bad thing, but who needs a drummer, donā€™t we all have BFD, SSD, Easy Drummerā€¦?

7. New Virtual Bass Amp, Quadrafuzz v2, Multiband Expander*, Multiband Envelope Shaper* effects
    ----Same as above

8. Allen Morgan Pop-Rock Toolbox: 30 construction kits, each with 25 to 30 audio and MIDI loops
    ----Same as above

9. Plug-in manager: Arrange, sort and group your effects and instruments
    ----Not sure something this trivial should make it to a ā€œ10 Reasons to updateā€ list. Really not

10. Mixing updates*: Virgin territories automation mode, direct routing and Wave Meters
    ----Between this and a free beerā€¦I would go for the beer.

Is it just me not seeing it? They added mostly stuff that I donā€™t think most of us needed, and broke 10 times more features that we actually do need.
Are they testing our staying power?

I cannot personally comment on C8 as i havenā€™t purchased it yet but yes i would agree, in my own humble opinion and from my own personal experience that C6.5 has been by far and away the most stable, hassle free version of cubase yetā€¦

I had a total nightmare with C7 on release and a slightly less bad time with 7.5, i purchased a new computer just before christmas with the intention of running C8 but the combination of past experiences and the amount of negative chatter all over the net re c8 i think iā€™ll wait to hand over my money until things calm down drastically, thereā€™s a demo version so i donā€™t have to risk any cash and i might possibly even skip this version if things donā€™t seem to calm downā€¦ those seem to be my own options right now, particularly as C7.5.3 is reasonably stable, i only get one or two crashes/lockups per week so far and this year i want to get on with making music rather than feeling like a paying beta tester. Pumaā€™s post above re the amount of time it too to get to C6.5ā€™s stability just reinforces this for me personally.
I would LOVE to update as VCA faders would make life so much easier (if they work as theyā€™re supposed to), render in place etcā€¦ donā€™t care about the other stuff, karlito summed that up nicely i think!
Less fluff please steiny and letā€™s just get the important stuff sorted ehā€¦ iā€™ve noticed a LOT of calls for a much more effective beta period and a wider group of testersā€¦ seems pretty sensible to me!

6.5.5 still gets the job done here. Snappy, fast, trouble free and user friendly both on PC and Mac. Too bad it doesnā€™t have ā€œrender in placeā€.

If SX3 was 64 bit and had a couple more options Iā€™d still be on that!

6.5 here too. Works 24xā…ž! Lots of love for it. :mrgreen:

For me, 6.5 outperforms 7 or 7.5, because my hardware is getting older. I am speaking in terms of composition, I think any of the versions are good for recording audio. But I do like some of the features of 7.5, and once I get my hardware sorted I will grab 8. I have tunes in 6 that I wont finish in 7 or higher just because of some plugin compatibility and the better performance with my Q6600.