Cubase 6 AI boot error - freezes at Video Player

Hey folks,

I just purchased the new Yamaha THR10 practice modeling amp, and it came with a copy of Cubase 6 AI. Since I already use Cubase 6.5 on my main DAW, I thought I’d put this on my laptop.

I run Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, and had Cubase LE 5 32-bit previously installed, which worked fine. I uninstalled all of Cubase LE 5, and installed the 64-bit version of Cubase 6 AI. Installation and registration okay, and installed the 6.0.7 update. However, every time I boot Cubase 6 AI, it freezes right after it gets to the point of loading “Video Player”, and a Windows dialogue box pops up informing me that an error has occurred, with Cubase 6 AI and Windows, and then it informs me that Microsoft Windows cannot find a solution to the problem and closes Cubase 6 AI. (see attachment)

I’ve found nothing on the Knowledgebase or this Forum to address this. I’ve written to Steinberg Support, nothing back as yet. Seems like a problem with Windows 7, but can’t be sure. I’ve uninstalled the 64-bit version, installed the 32-bit version, and same problem. Clearing the Preferences folder has no effect. :blush:

I had this problem some weeks ago too. Solution was simple (for me): update your graphic card drivers.

If that doesn’t work, try updating/installing Quicktime. Sometimes that helps as well.

Good luck!