Cubase 6 and Mac Pro question...

I’m soon to buy a new Mac Pro (tower) and want to run Cubase 6 on it. I have a MOTU 2408 system to use with it with a PCIe 424 card. I’m debating between a Quad-Core or an 8-Core Mac Pro. Does anyone have some advice on this? The money for the 8-Core might be better spent on other studio gear if the Quad-Core is plenty of CPU. Is the Quad-Core with 8 GB of RAM plenty for 24+ track recording projects with EQ and Effects rolling in the mix down?

Scott, What ru doing on it? Is it only audio or Do you want to run tons of VSTi or mostly audio and what are future plans. Are you going to run the Mac 64 bit or just 32bit. I believe these questions should be thought out prior to your purchase…

I’m planning on running mostly audio with EQ and Effects, but I want to explore the VST instruments that come with Cubase 6 , certainly not tons of it but some VST synths and drums. I like micing up my in studio drums set with 8 mics and overdubbing guitars, bass and vocals and keyboards all on individual tracks with EQ and Effects on mixdown. My future plans are to be able to upgrade to Cubase 7 when it comes out, and 8, etc. I’d like the computer to remain viable for 3+ years. Wow, I just opened my new Cubase 6 upgrade!! It arrived in the mail today and the VST instrument library looks very interesting and being able to operate at 64 bit at some point soon sounds cool. - Thanks kzarider, you ask good questions. Where am I, the Quad-Core or 8-core?

Its hard to say because needs grow as we expand lol. From what you describe as needs now you’ll be great at quad core processor. I am going to assume you are running 32bit Cubase (in order to run Cubase on mac 64bit review manual as to how to start in 64bit) also remember you must hold 6 & 4 key while booting Mac. If you have the cash get the best if not don’t stress it you will be happy with any of the new desktops. Let us know what you get!

I’ll ponder on this until next week when I put my order in for the new box. I’ll keep you posted…