Cubase 6 | Cubase Artist 6 FAQ

Grace period
Updates valid for Cubase 5 / Cubase Studio 5 purchases from December 1, 2010 – February 28, 2011

More details will follow tomorrow !!

Can I install Cubase 6 next to existing Cubase installations?
Yes, you can. Different Cubase versions won’t harm each other as long as each installation gets its own directory (PC) resp. application name (Mac).
By default an additional Cubase 6 installation will be named “Cubase 6”.

Instrument Tracks Multi Out
Instrument tracks with multiple outputs are not part of Cubase 6, but are planned for future versions.

I have Cubase Studio 5. To which version should I upgrade now?
Cubase Studio 5 customers should upgrade to the new Cubase 6.

Can I upgrade from Cubase Studio 5 to Cubase Artist 6?
No, as this would be actually a downgrade because Cubase Artist 6 is a new product which has been streamlined to suit customer demands, therefor also the new name.

Is there going to be a Cubase Essential 6?
The full new Cubase 6 line-up will be presented during the year. We can’t reveal any further details now, please stand by for announcements.

I have Cubase Essential 5. To which version should I upgrade now?
Cubase Essential 5 customers should upgrade to the new Cubase Artist 6.

Why are Windows XP, Windows Vista and Mac OS X 10.5 no longer supported?
To ensure the best user-experience we only support officially the latest operating systems available.

I bought the HALion Symphonic Orchestra 16-bit Special Edition included with Cubase 5. How does the deal with the new HALion Symphonic Orchestra VST Sound Instrument Set work?
If you bought the HALion Symphonic Orchestra 16-bit Special Edition included with Cubase 5 you can simply install the new HALion Symphonic Orchestra VST Sound Instrument Set and you are ready to go!
As the new HALion Symphonic Orchestra VST Sound Instrument Set uses the same license as the old HALion Symphonic Orchestra 16-bit Special Edition, you don’t need to activate anything.

Does Cubase iC work on 64-bit operating systems?
Not yet, but we are working on it.

When can I buy Cubase 6 / Cubase Artist ?
Cubase 6 and Cubase Artist 6 are being shipped as of now. Availability may vary regionally.

Some numbers in detail:
Unlimited audio tracks (Cubase Artist 6: 64)
Unlimited MIDI tracks (Cubase Artist 6: 128)
256 physical inputs (Cubase Artist 6: 32)
192 kHz sampling rate support (Cubase Artist 6: 96 kHz)
256 group channels (Cubase Artist 6: 32)
Unlimited instrument tracks (Cubase Artist 6: 32)
VST instrument rack with 64 instrument slots (Cubase Artist 6: 32)

Are there some undocumented late feature change / Additions ?
The following features have not yet been documented in the Cubase 6 and Cubase Artist 6 operation manual:

Cubase 6 | Cubase Artist 6
Export Audio Mixdown > Post Process > Open in WaveLab: You may notice an additional “Post Process” area in the Export Audio Mixdown window of Cubase 6. By selecting “Open in WaveLab” any finished audio export automatically starts WaveLab and imports the exported audio files from Cubase 6. This feature is available as soon as WaveLab 7.0.1 or higher has been installed on the system.

Cubase 6 only !!
Operations affecting selected channels: You can add or remove a VST plug-in to or from all selected channels at once by holding down [Shift]-[Alt]/[Option] and selecting the desired plug-in from any of the insert effect slots. With the same key combination you can also activate/deactivate effects or toggle their Bypass state. For Send Routing use this key combination to route all selected tracks into a FX- or Group-Channel, to activate/deactivate a Send slot or toggle their Pre-Fader state.

File > Preferences > Events Display: The preference “Show Overlaps” controls the visibility of event overlaps. You can select to show overlaps always, never or when hovering with the mouse over the respective event area in the Project window.

File > Preferences > Event Display > Audio: There are three new preferences which affect the project view event appearance.

• Waveform Brightness: Controls the relative brightness of the waveform. The starting point is the actual event color. It is possible to adjust the color smoothly from black, through the event color, to white.
  • Waveform Outline Intensity: Controls the intensity of the outline of the waveform. The range is from the waveform color set with the Waveform Brightness through to black.
  • Fade Handle Brightness: Controls the brightness of the Fade Handles. The starting point is the actual event color. It is possible to adjust the color smoothly from black, through the event color, to white.

File > Preferences > Event Display > MIDI: Note Brightness and Controller Brightness can be adjusted independently from each other.

Automation handle visibility: The visibility of handles for editing automation curves is zoomdependent. When hovering with the mouse over automation lanes, the automation handles are displayed without zoom-dependence.

Can frozen parts be edited/moved ?
No, this feature is not part of Cubase 6.

Are printed manuals included ?
No there are no printed manuals included anymore. In the package will be a Quick Start Guide. In the package we have included more then 2 hours of tutorial video’s, and all the manuals are included as PDF documents.

64-bit Rewire support
There is not yet a 64-bit ReWire component available from Propellerhead. If you need to connect applications through ReWire into Cubase/Nuendo, the 32-bit version must be used instead.

Can I update my Cubase EDU version ?
Yes you can. You have to order the normal retail update. There are no special EDU updates

Can I upgrade Halion Sonic SE to Halion Sonic Retail ?
A trail version of Halion Sonic Retail is included in the package. This you can activate permantly by buying the license / activation code in our online shop. The price is €199,-

Are in Cubase 6 still PowerPC plugins ?
Yes, Who uses the 32-bit Mac version, can still use Tonic, Embracer and Monologue, as other PPC plugins with the VST Bridge. With the 64-bit version they are not available anymore. More details can be found in the ReadMe of Cubase 6.

Is there also a 32-bit version of Cubase and the plugins ?
Yes, the 32-bit versions are also on the installation discs.