Cubase 7.5 on a Retina Macbook pro (low-res!)

Hello!
I just bought a new Macbook pro with retina display. I was looking forward to run Cubase on it with a lot more work area to use. But man was I disappointed. Cubase seem to scale upp the original graphic and make i bigger, it looks pretty awful.

I see now that Cubase doesn’t support retina displays. Oh! It is sad and a bit strange, since retina displays have been around for years (1,5?) now and every new MBP comes with one.

But I don’t understand -why doesn’t Cubase show the original graphics of the program? That is, 1 px in the design = 1px on the screen? Sure, It will be small, but still better than a lowres version upscaled! Because as I understand, If I connect a hires apple thunderbolt display (2560 x 1440), Cubase will display as expected (?) Why doesn’t this apply to the MBP retina? It’s almost the same resolution?

One other thing. When I right-click and bring up “show info” for Cubase the “Open in low res” box is grayed out (?) so I can’t click it. Why is that? It says in Steinberg support to tick that box, but I can’t. Does this mean that it is already on and it wouldn’t do any difference?

Finally -will there be support for retina any time soon? Cubase looks much better on my old MBP :frowning:

That’s strange, other users on Retina display macbooks haven’t reported that iirc. What resolution is shown in the System Prefs? (I don’t have a retina display, but it seems worth a shot to ask)

Ouch :frowning: Good luck with this.

Well, OSX Mavericks doesn’t actually show the resolution in the System Prefs. Only says “Best for display” (translated from Swedish version). You can also choose “scaled” and then you can choose alternatives like “looks like 1680x1050” and “looks like 1920x1080”. If i choose one of those two I get more workspace, but the graphics in Cubase is still scaled up.

I have a 15" rMBP, and have no problems. Of course I wish for Cubendo to be retina aware, but it isn’t a problem.
I have my graphics set for “looks like 1920x1200” That is what I like the best, and use for all software on my rMBP.

Pål

Pål, yes in “looks like 1920x1200” the problem is not that annoying. But you still have the upscaled graphics right? (so it’s not only me). If you choose display setting “best for retina”, do you have very lowres and upscaled graphics?

What about this thing, can you tick that box?:

When I right-click and bring up “show info” for Cubase the “Open in low res” box is grayed out (?) so I can’t click it. It says in Steinberg support to tick that box, but I can’t. Does this mean that it is already on and it wouldn’t do any difference?

Any other Retina Macbook Pro owners out there, and that are your experiences?

Hello,

This might sound silly, but sometimes we neglect the most obvious things. When you open the “show Info” window, there is a “lock” icon in the right lower end of the window, meaning that you have to click on it, enter your password, and the grayed-out items will become available to tweak.

Just a reminder.

Good luck.

I was told by the apple store sales person that there are apps you can use to change the resolution. I got a RMBP 2 years ago but returned it for a MBP I’m thinking of getting a new one. I would appreciate some feedback from someone that is using a RMBP with Cubase 7.5. Does it work normally like on MBP?

Hi,

The tick box “Open in Low Resolution” is ticked on my Nuendo.app, and I can’t untick it even if I authenticate.

No problems with scaled graphics here in 1920x1200 mode. And I wouldn’t dream of running it in “Best for Retina”. That is simply to small screen estate for me.

Pål

Not sure why it would be an issue, I’m running 7.5 on a new MacBook Pro Retina and it works great. I went with the top model, so it has the dedicated graphics in addtion to Iris…maybe that helped??

I’ve just bought Cubase 8.0 Pro and still no Retina support. Cannot switch to high resolution. The fonts are completely unsharp. Very ugly interface. I am thinking about to stop Cubase usage and to return back the software.

:frowning:

Have the same problem - unsharp fonts and the whole picture.
There is no issue yet?

Same problem here, any one get around this issue?

Did you guys find any solution for this problem, because I have the same issue.