Cubase 7 64bit clean installation advice!

Howdy!

I’ve recently bought Cubase 7 and to begin with I installed the 64 bit version just to have an initial play with it. I love it but it crashes every time I close it so I have decided to reformat my install drive and perform a clean install Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I believe it to be a conflict with 32bit plugins in a 64bit host (so I’ve just bought JBRIDGE) after reading many of the helpful threads on both this forum and gearslutz.

I’m currently updating Windows 7 and installing all up to date drivers and non Music programs needed on my PC and wondered if anyone could advise me on how I should install Cubase 7 64bit (from the supplied disk or download C7 from this site), whether I should install each update to C7 in order of release or just jump to 7.0.4.

I would also love a bit of advice in JBridge and exactly what folders should contain what plugins as I’ve noticed there seem to be many different VSTPlugin folders and basically wanna get C7 running as smoothly as possible. This is the first time I’ve jumped from 32bit to 64bit so I apologise for my ignorance.

Jono

If it was me I would download the full install. I don’t have any advice on Jbridge. I’ve never used it. The built in bridge in Cubase always worked fine for me. Also I’ve almost eliminated the use of 32 bit plugs. I’m down to using only one. Everything else is 64 bit. I divide my VSTs into two folders, one for 32GB bit and one for 64 bit, and depending on the need of the VST some subfolders.

I have created a separate folder called jbridge… this contains all the bridged 32bit instruments… then I added the path to that folder in the plugin information window in c7… hth…

Thank you for the advice.

If you want the best experience and stability in a 64 bit system, then you need to eliminate ALL the 32 bit plugins. I know that sometimes this is very hard to do, for various reasons. But using bridges, no matter which one, adds another layer of instability to a system. The good news is that nowadays you’ll find substitutes to most of the legacy plugins in a native 64 bit format.

As far as your first question goes, I believe that you only need to install the latest update after installing the core. In other words, you should be able to go from a Cubase 7.0.0 install straight to the last patch. However, I’m not 100% sure of this, but I think I saw one of the developers answer this same question not long ago. Search the forums.

HTH

Go straight from 7 to 7.04. I just did it…working great

I’ve literally finished updating Win 7 64bit and have just installed C7 64 bit followed by the 7.0.4 Update! The next real question is, should I install JBridge next and then install my plugins after or should I install my 3rd Plugins first?

Cheers for all your help!

Jono

+1 – seriously. There’s no easy way to put this, but this is what you have to do.

If you really, really can’t do this because there are 32-bit plugins which are essential to you, install the 32-bit version of Cubase and use that. You can have both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Cubase 7 installed on 64-bit Windows, but if you do, make sure you keep 32-bit and 64-bit plugins in separate folders, so that no 32-bit plugins are visible to 64-bit Cubase.

I got a new music PC in Nov and installed jbridge for the few 32 bit plugs I still use. I honestly dont see any difference in performance between the Jbridge plugs and the 32 bit versions that are automatically bridged by Cubase. My PC is an I7 3930 @3.2ghz with 16gb ram running Win7 64x. I would test without jbridge first. Jbridge used to be essential on my old computer

Cubase’s VSTbridge does a competent job of bridging Steinberg’s own 32-bit plugins, but when it comes to third-party VST’s, it’s really no match for jBridge. If you have some really old plugins that you still use, jBridge is a no-brainer.

Years ago, I invested quite a lot of money in Ueberschall’s Liquid libraries (I have all of them.) These are still pretty good, even by today’s standards, and I’d like to keep using them, albeit occasionally. Unfortunately, they cannot be loaded by any modern 64-bit sample player, not even Ueberschall’s own Elastik. jBridge is the ONLY bridging software that allows me to use the Liquid VST with both Cubase and Sonar: both VSTbridge and Sonar’s Bitbridge crash miserably while attempting to load it. Incidentally, I know that Ueberschall has started re-releasing these libraries in the Elastik format, but I’m definitely not going to spend any more money on them.

Of course if you could only use 64-bit plugins, that would be ideal.

Agreed, e.g. Embracer and Monologue work fine.

All great advice. Thank you! I have some 32 bit plugins and VIs that I really need to use at the minute but I will definitely phase them out as time goes on! I haven’t listed my PC specs or gear I use cause, well, how do you do that!? I have 16gb of RAM I’ve installed and obviously this is why I want to go to 64 bit. Its annoying its sitting in my mobo never being used etc.

The next plugin pack that I’m going to buy is Slate VCC! An awesome bit of digital kit. And I would like to get a great sounding Piano. Possibly The Grand 3 or Ivory? Not sure yet.

Jono

Go to the main Steinberg site (not the forum) and click on “My Steinberg” at the top – this is where you log in to register your software, dongles etc. Once you’ve logged in, there’s a link on the left-hand side called Forum, there you can do things like set your profile, add a photo etc.
https://www.steinberg.net/en/mysteinberg.html

while upgrading to 64 bit is preferable… in the absense of that choice… jbridge works brilliantly… no problems whatsoever…

Years ago, I invested quite a lot of money in Ueberschall’s Liquid libraries (I have all of them.) These are still pretty good, even by today’s standards, and I’d like to keep using them, albeit occasionally. Unfortunately, they cannot be loaded by any modern 64-bit sample player, not even Ueberschall’s own Elastik. jBridge is the ONLY bridging software that allows me to use the Liquid VST with both Cubase and Sonar: both VSTbridge and Sonar’s Bitbridge crash miserably while attempting to load it. Incidentally, I know that Ueberschall has started re-releasing these libraries in the Elastik format, but I’m definitely not going to spend any more money on them.

Of course if you could only use 64-bit plugins, that would be ideal.

The new Ueberscall Elastic interface from Ueberscall works a treat in 64 bit, just download all your libraries for free from the user area in the new format, it give the whole Uebetscall series a new lease of life and allows you use them in a completely different way. I agree, they still sound good and with the new interface the click and drag editing makes them sound even better!

Thanks for everyone’s help! JBridge works like a charm. C7 64bit doesn’t crash when I close a project window now! Everything is stable and basically, Cubase 7.0.4 64bit is AWESOME!

Time to crack on with some Music then! :slight_smile:

JnB

Good deal. Enjoy! :slight_smile: