Cubase 8.0.20, no valid license found errors very often


when starting cubase I get most of the time the following error message.

OS is Windows 7 Ultimate, SP1, 64-bit.
I tried different USB2 and USB3 USB ports on my PC, but this doesn’t change the issue.
My computer is based on a Supermicro X10SRi-F mainboard with Intel C610 chipset using Xeon E5-1650v3 CPU.
Otherwise the USB ports work fine without issues when connecting USB sticks to the ports.

Currently I use the eLicenser Control Center Version:
When starting elicenser control center, then I get this error message:

Is my USB license stick too old or does the driver have problems with modern Intel Chipsets (C610) ?


please, make sure that your Windows installation is up to date (.NET Framework will also be updated, this is needed especially if the system has not been updated in a while).

Besides this, please uninstall the eLicenser Control Center - no further action should be needed, but you can also verify that no left-over files are on the system, please see the paths here: (if you have Soft-eLicenses on the system, do not delete this folder: C:\ProgramData\Syncrosoft).

After uninstalling, please reboot and install the most recent eLicenser:

This should solve the issue, if not, please contact support directly.

Kind regards,

Hi, thanks for your reply. It turned out that the ~15y old license stick was defective. It didn’t work reliably on another machine as well … So no USB incompatibilites, no issues with Chipset Intel C610.

That would have been my next assumption… please, proceed with Steinberg Zero Downtime if it’s broken:

Kind regards,

There is something weird with the eLicencer software. I keep getting “No valid license” error every so often. This used to happen, maybe, once a year, or so. Lately it happens, about, once a month. Downloading a new software installer cures the problem, for a while. Reinstalling the drivers from the “old” installer .dmg doesn’t work. A fresh download is required, even if it’s the same version number (go figure).

It happens to both Cubase and WLE simultaneously. That proves that it’s the eLicencer software that is the cause.

If Steinberg requires us to update the eLicencer drivers every month, they should really look into automating this process (as Arturia, for one, does).

@Svenne: It is not rare that the dongles slowly start malfunctioning, increasing the number of ‘No valid license found’ over time. The dongle you are currently using is almost 10 years old, so it could easily be.

Although it is recommended to update the eLCC, it is not a requirement, one might just use the same version until a new version of Cubase is installed and only update it in case of issues. Don’t think it’s your case, but sometimes USB sleep can trigger that message as well.

Hi, I have to chime in here. I experience the same issue since I installed my Computer from scratch. In Addition the Installation of the latest syncrosoft Drivers does not work.

Somehow the Driver does not recognise the device: When I look into the “Devices and Printers” section of Windows, it is listed as “unknown device”. Rebooting the System - with a “power off” ! - most of the time brings the device back as “protec executer” and the licenses are visible again.
There is something wrong with the “device regognition”. Maybe related to usb-chipset behaviour in conjunction with the Driver?

Cheers, Ernst

Hello Ernst,

if it’s a new computer perhaps it’s a good idea to check if the USB controller is up to date.

The ‘unknown device’ may appear for various reasons, the above being just one of them.

In your case it looks like it is needed to have a further look. Can you contact support please?


Hi Fabio and many thanks for the hints!

My new Computer is based on an asus X99-S mobo. I run the os and cubase from an “m.2-Disc”.
My dongle - I must admit - is quite old. I dont mind ordering a new one and check whether it is the culprit.
If not, well, 19 Euros are not a big invest.

I will contact Support if the Problems continue with a new dongle.

Cheers, Ernst

You could contact support before buying that as well, you never know it’s a privilege issue, or installation problem or else. On the other hand, a second USB-eLicenser is never a bad idea :slight_smile:

That may very well be the case. However, the dongle I use may be 10 years old, but it has been unused for most of that time. I recently replaced the one I received with Cubase SX (version 1) with it. Well, I guess it’s time to buy a third one.

Can you figure out the strange behaviour with the installers. If I re-install with the same installer as originally used, it doesn’t cure the the problem. If I download a new installer (with the same version number), it does. Shouldn’t the two installers (with the same version number) be identical?

Hello Svenne,

if you want to check out more in detail before getting your third one, feel free to get in touch with support / me.
Indeed, the same version number is identical. I will have a look, I wonder if this might be due to plist files.



my new dongle arrived. Since I have the dongle placed in the Computer case (Midi-Tower) and connected to an internal usb post via a cable, I also changed that cable. Both, the old and the new dongle are now connected. I transfered the cubase 8 license to the new dongle (when for some time the old one was correctly recognized).

In the meantime I restarted the Computer several times and the new dongle seems to be ALWAYS recognized correctly, while the old one is randomly present.

So - to sum up - replacing the dongle seemed to be a good idea.

Cheers, ernst